Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon? Reply with quote

if you could please help him...

Nick is stuck in Prineville, OR - near Bend,OR.. his '88 GL has overheating problem and he can't get a tow to a mechanic in Bend (Integrity Auto)...

he tried to get some help to get him limp to the mechanic shop...

his phone: 714-679.2637

thanks in advance

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son..? Reply with quote

Tell us more.

Leaking coolant?
Water pump shot?
Fan belt ok?
Bled system but no joy?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son..? Reply with quote

he told me leaking coolant..

6 month old water pump and all belts...

he adds coolant in the main reservoir, put the cap back on and coolant leals out.. I don't know where... Mad

and I'm at least 5 hours from him

thanks
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son..? Reply with quote

This forum is on the worldwide web. The title "could anyone help my son..?" is not very interesting to those fellers in Bend (or nearby).

To solicit Samba members who have a tool near Bend, or who know someone near Bend who might, I recommend to EDIT your title to:

"HELP needed near Bend OR?"

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son..? Reply with quote

If you don't say where it is in the subject, don't expect anyone close to notice.

There's a smartphone app he can use to call for help, they have a large database of Vanagon people:
http://vanalert.com
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon? Reply with quote

FWIW Dan, his wife Bennie and their son are big Vanagon enthusiasts that are SO Cal based but may not be familiar with the Van Alert App. I'll text the son with the Van Alert app info.

I've camped near them at the last three Syncrofests.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon? Reply with quote

thanks Bill...

still no news from him yet... my guess is a bad thermostat and/or a blown hose and worst yet a blown head gasket...

aaarghhh....
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon? Reply with quote

Have him just install the cap without tightening it down so that it will not hold pressure. Depending on what was wrong initially he may now be able to drive the van for a considerable distance, though carrying lots of water would be advised.

Even better he can use a pocket knife to drill a hole in the bottom of the cap so it will continuously vent excess coolant into the overflow tank and suck it back into the pressure tank as the engine cools. In this case the cap needs to be tightened down.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon? Reply with quote

I spoke to Nick a half hour ago and he finally made contact with someone that will tow him to a mechanic. I suggested he slide under the place its leaking and have someone pour water in while he watches and takes a photo. Said left side of engine and forward and he worried it was the head gasket. I suggested the thermostat and a couple hoses are there and those are more likely for a cataract of water. A head would be a weep/drip.

It didn't sound like he'd be able to do that, and then my phone died. When it came back to life I called and let him know that if he can get a photo to send it to me and I'll get it on here.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon? Reply with quote

thanks Doug...

Nick and his van on a tow to Eugene,OR about 11:00pm... to Miles at NoNameGarage... I will pick him up there tomorrow... we will see and tell what happened...

thanks all..

and thanks to the Samba spirit...

dan
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: could anyone help my son stuck near Bend, Oregon? Reply with quote

He will be in good hands with Miles. Great guy, honest and does good work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: