Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt Engine - Recommendations
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you:
Replace cylinders and head gaskets, leaving the engine intact?
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Find a replacement 411 engine?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Swap out the engine entirely, and if so, with what?
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Rebuilt Engine - Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got the car up and running, but it feels like the cylinders are missing... it's hiccuping. Discussed with some mechanics I know, and found that in their opinion rather than replacing the cylinders and head gaskets I'd be better just replacing the engine. Of course, these don't grow on trees. So I need some smarter people than I am, hence I am here.

Would you:
1. Replace cylinders and head gaskets, leaving the engine intact?
2. Find a replacement 411 engine?
3. Swap out the engine entirely, and if so, with what?

thanks in advance. I can provide more info, too.
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine - Recommendations Reply with quote

35 years ago I knew more than a handful of good mechanics qualified to work on type 4 engines in general and D-jet iniected 411/412 and 914 engines in specifc. I also knew there had to be many more I did not know.

Over the years......that number has dropped to about two or three....all retired. This is not because they aged out....but because as I learned how to work on it...and later got a factory certification .....I realized simply that ahout 98% of those I "thought" could work on D-jet injected type 4.......had no idea what they were doing.

So.....since you just got this running a couple of weeks ago...and its 45 years old....and you did not mention whether its still fuel injected and what condition the engine in in, the fuel injection harness is in, the vacuum system is in, the fuel feed system.....or what you have done with it so far......
.......and due to the fact that 99.9% of mechanics who lay hands on a D-jet injected type 4.....have no idea what they are looking at what it requires.......I would say with good confidence that these mechanics you "trust".......are probably wrong.

Questions:

1. How long was the car not running?

2. How many miles.....guess?

3. Is it still fuel injected?

4. What has been done to all of the systems?

5. What is the compression on the cylinders?

See......on these engines especially with D-jet injection.....you are not allowed to have one single tiny vacuum leak....none....nada...."0".

The EFI wiring harness is 100% suspect ....and known to be the cause of about 90% of all driveability issues.....partly due to age and partly due to poor design of the female terminals in the plugs.

The grounding system must be perfect along with voltage supply.
The fuel pressure must be rock solid stable.
The two temperature sensors are generally out of spec by this time if they have never been replaced.

And.....most importantly....and very telling.....if these "trusted mechanics".....looked you in the eye and said your engine needs to be REPLACED .....and yet did not immediately hand you an estimate to simply rebuild what you have........then they have no idea what to do with your engine.

Lastly......all US spec 411 and 412.....unless they came kn through Canada....came with fuel injection.
If they came in through Canada......they could have twin solex carburetors.

If your engine does not have D-jet injection or factory twin solexes.....and instead has a pair of some other carbs or a nasty, worthless center mounted two barrel carb........then at this point....unless you have a compression and leak down test that points to worn out rings, valves and pistons.........there is not yet any evidence to say your engine needs to be replaced.

What is the history and data here?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine - Recommendations Reply with quote

Agree with Ray, there are lots of things that could cause a hiccup beside bad cylinders.
Take a compression test.
If good start checking other things.
If bad try to get a picture of the engine overall status (oil pressure, oil leaks, mileage etc) before deciding how to go further.

Lars s
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine - Recommendations Reply with quote

Also...as far as the top end rebuild question...new cylinders, pistons, rings and rebuilt heads....

......I would not take the heads off at this late date without at least doing a valve job....and the head gaskets should be removed, left out and cylinders lapped to the heads. the factory started doing this on type 4 engines on the buses. DO NOT use the head gaskets.

Also.....unless the bottom end has an EXACT known number of miles and it is less the 50k miles on the ORIGINAL CAM and Lifters and bearings...and not rebuilt in the past......and is PRISTINE in every way....meaning no cam wear at all......there is no benefit to leaving the bottom end intact and replacing the top end.

If the bottom end has many miles, it will have the standard cam wear and will have a half life that will get even shorter when you put new cylinders pistons and rings.

Also....look very carefully at the original pistons and cylinders. If this is a 1.7L....with D-jet....and its not California version with low compression....it will have domed pistons.

Those are very hard to find new.

If yours have good skirts, little or no scoring and good ring grooves....put new rings on them and either lightly hone your old cylinders or replace just the cylinders...and put your old pistons in.

I would split the case and measure the crank. If its clean and not worn and the main bearings are not showing heavy wear...just get new rod bearings and have the rods resized and balanced.

Put back in the old mains, new rod bearings and rebuilt rods. Put in new bushings...cheap. Put in new cylinders with old pistons...have the heads properly rebuilt.

Never re-use type 4 heads at 45 years old without a basic rebuild. Replace all the valves....and you really should replace the seats.

I would never reuse the factory cam. It was not all that good and its days were numbered. It ran hot as well. Get a web #73 and new lifters to match.

A tightened up motor like that can get you another 100k miles.

DO NOT get rid of the domed pistons. That will drop your compression to 7.3:1...and you will lose about 10-11 hp and the injection will be hard to tune. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine - Recommendations Reply with quote

Whoa.

Some of these questions I can answer, some not so much.

I know the car had sat for at least five years since it last ran. The odo says 69k miles, but it may be 169k (or 269k). My guess would be 169k...

Questions 3-5: still fuel injected, it looks like belts and hoses have been replaced but everything else is basically factory stock, and I am not sure what compression is on the cylinders.

Some of this stuff is super arcane, as you mentioned. My knowledge is crap on this thing, though i used to do random crap to my old one back in 1991... I just have no idea how to find someone who can be trusted to think intelligently about this stuff.

But the combined list of what to do helps. I just need to find someone intelligent to speak to up here, then bang some of this out.

Thanks again,
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine - Recommendations Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
Whoa.

Some of these questions I can answer, some not so much.

I know the car had sat for at least five years since it last ran. The odo says 69k miles, but it may be 169k (or 269k). My guess would be 169k...

Questions 3-5: still fuel injected, it looks like belts and hoses have been replaced but everything else is basically factory stock, and I am not sure what compression is on the cylinders.

Some of this stuff is super arcane, as you mentioned. My knowledge is crap on this thing, though i used to do random crap to my old one back in 1991... I just have no idea how to find someone who can be trusted to think intelligently about this stuff.

But the combined list of what to do helps. I just need to find someone intelligent to speak to up here, then bang some of this out.

Thanks again,
Loren

For the mechanicals of the engine itself....if you are not going to do the work yourself....its not too hard to find people who can build or maintain the engine for you....oil changes, valve adjustments, etc.

An experienced type 1 shop (beetle, type 3, bus) can BUILD an engine for you as long as they are willing to do take direction on the type 4 specific issues....case prep, oil pump system, camshaft issues, valve seats and valve issues and a few more.

However....you would be better served to learn to work on your injection yourself. Its not that hard with help. Outside of basic hand tools, a voltmeter and a fuel pressure gauge....not much else is needed.

But...your description of the cars history. Yes.....169K miles is most probably but its also possible that its 69k....but that makes no difference as AGE trumps every other wear factor. Its OLD.

Sitting still does the worst damage. Gaskets and hoses separate. So its about 100% that you have several vacuum leaks.

Really....you should just replace all of the vacuum lines and hoses ...and clamp them....so you KNOW they are not leaking.

Other items that are typical in your cars condition and MUST be done:

Valve cover gaskets
Cork gasket on oil breather
Injector tip seals
Intake manifold to head gaskets
Intake runner to center plenum boots
Throttle body to center manifold o-ring...properly adjust he throttle valve switch while you have the throttle body off the car

Test the manifold sensor for vacuum leaks...very common problem with huge running issues.

Test the PCV valve in the oil breather for leakage...100% common. Its fixable for free.

Test fuel pump output and check the leak down of the fuel pressure regulator. About 90% of them develop internal rust and leak when a car sits still for years.

All of this ...you can do. It will be very hard to find a mechanic who is able to do basic adjusting and maintenance on a D-jet system ...that is in excellent shape.

It is near impossible to find a mechanic who can put said system into shape. They just do not know whats critical or what questions to ask.

About 99% of the time....one can change a single adjustment....or loosen one hose....or disconnect one wire....and take the car to a veteran air cooled VW mechanic....and the mechanic will tinker with it...fix nothing...or even make it worse....and tell you either :

A. The ECU is "probably" shot Rolling Eyes ...or this part or that part is shot...and throw parts at it...and fix nothing or

B. Tell you straight up that the injection was never good, is always suspect and should be replaced with a carburetor.....even though MILLIONS of vehicles from VW, Porsche, Mercedes, Renault, Volvo, Jaguar, BMW and Opel...SUCCESSFULLY used D-jet.

They simply do not know how to work on it, few age related troubleshooting documents were ever published.

Its not complex...but does have complications that are mainly age related.

We can help you to learn to work on it yourself....or...if not.... you should search out a good set of twin carbs and replace it. DO NOT install a single center mounted carb. They run for shit.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: