Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

First time with dual carbs still learning, details, stuff like that.

I'm ready to install a new throttle cable. Gas pedal rebuilt, tube flushed, ready to install.

To help the long push through the tube I "tinned" the first 6" of the cable. Torch, flux and solder. It's not like working with copper or brass but I got a good coat of lead in the cable. The end is ridged and will not fray.

The cable is a "universal" and has a split or bay end with 30" of pull through slack.

Now with all that said, What is the prefered method of cable termination?

Option 1: Tinning the cable and running it through the cable stop and clamp.

Option 2: Tinning the cable and install the "universal end" through the cable stop and clamp.

Option 3: Same as Option 1 w/o tinning.

Option 4: Same as Option 2 w/o tinning.

OR, Option 4: None of the above. An unknown and unconsidered option I don't know about.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Option 2

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

OPTION 1

PLUMBING SHOT / GAS LINES AND "T".

Anything jumping out that needs addressing?

Thanks to all for the advise and direction.

dgsaz
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

I do option #2(cable through barrel connector) ... BUT I put second barrel connector on cable past the one in arm so if the set screw comes loose or cable slips in connector (in arm) the second connector still gives you some throttle till you can get off to side of road... Learned the dirty little trick at auto cross event when slipping cable cost me a few seconds in time that cost me a win... Also if just put cable directly through connector, tin the end so it does not unravel...

Option #1 never seemed to work quite well for me as cable always ended up to long or to short or pulled out of adapter...

When adjusting throttle cable and carbs.... Force throttle pedal all the way to its WOT stop (have assistant hold it WOT) ... Open throttle linkage at carbs and then tighten set screw on cable... This assure WOT.... BUT be sure there is also enough slack/adjustment in system for carbs to go fully closed...

Also secure fuel line some place where it can not get sucked into fan.. YES I have seen it happen...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I do option #2(cable through barrel connector) ... BUT I put second barrel connector on cable past the one in arm so if the set screw comes loose or cable slips in connector (in arm) the second connector still gives you some throttle till you can get off to side of road... Learned the dirty little trick at auto cross event when slipping cable cost me a few seconds in time that cost me a win... Also if just put cable directly through connector, tin the end so it does not unravel...

Option #1 never seemed to work quite well for me as cable always ended up to long or to short or pulled out of adapter...

When adjusting throttle cable and carbs.... Force throttle pedal all the way to its WOT stop (have assistant hold it WOT) ... Open throttle linkage at carbs and then tighten set screw on cable... This assure WOT.... BUT be sure there is also enough slack/adjustment in system for carbs to go fully closed...

Also secure fuel line some place where it can not get sucked into fan.. YES I have seen it happen...

Great advise.
Dale

I'm going to see if there is enough material to drill through the universal end so the cable can pass through the fitting. That would leave some "slack" on the cable and it would not have to be cut to an exact length.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

If you need a clean cut on the braided cable, wrap it with tape and use a cutoff wheel. Makes a clean cut that way with the dremel
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

I cut the cable with a cut-off wheel. Put a piece of heat shrink tubing on the last inch to prevent fraying. Insert it into the barrel clamp. I have never had any good luck with those adapter ends.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

I like to solder the cable and then cut it and put a drop of solder on the end so its not so pokey, if its a stainless cable it can still be soldered but not as easily.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

i've done option 2, cut it and use super glue to keep it from fraying
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

I like #2. I leave an extra length and put a rubber end on it, for poking. I have used little brass tips that crimp on the end.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

I forgot to mention you wipe a thin coat of grease on the entire length of the cable. Clutch cable too.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

I use one of those hardened steel roll pins that will fit through the barrel nut and also allow the cable to pass through.....I then solder it in the correct place and tighten it up in the barrel nut.
I also solder the cable where I want to cut it so it won't fray.

It's worked well for me for around 6 plus years I would guess.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
. . . OR, Option 4: None of the above. An unknown and unconsidered option I don't know about.

I cut the extra length off after I tinned the cable strands . . . THEN, at the end of the cable, I placed a short length (about 1.5") of the small-diameter brass tube that I purchased from the hobby shop . . . I soldered the tube in place with "silver solder" to form a new end on the cable. Wink

The "universal end" that was on the car was a PIA and interfered with my linkage opening to WOT . . . I had a difficult removing it as the set-screw was stripped . . . gotta love those "previous owners"! Mad
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

New Option:

I took the "universal end" and drilled the entire length so the cable could pass through rather than just achieve a 1/2" embedment.

I mocked up a sample. Photos attached. The black tape will become shrink shrink tubing AND I'm going to add a second "stop bolt" in the barrel.

It looks like the cable can be bolted from each side of the barrel, keep it straight and relieve the kink that a single bolt will form.

Another option would be an additional cable stop above the fitting.

Heres the pics:

Thanks again everyone.

dgsaz

BTW: that's some old clothes line not my actual throttle cable.......
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

Another option is to check the various lengths of stock cables. On my IDAs, when I switched from my old, worn out CB top linkage to a Vintage Speed bellcrank linkage, I needed a shorter cable.

Ended up buying the late Beetle cable that has the plastic sheath, plus the threaded end. It's 2 cm shorter than my stock 68 cable. It uses a double-nut that you can fine-tune to length:

http://usstore.concept1.ca/Accel-Cable-T1-74-79-133721555B-38955/

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Cable (not wire) Termination Reply with quote

I put my cable loosely in a vise and burn off the extra with a oxy torch and small brazing tip. Melts the end of the cable and if you twist it as you melt it, it doesn't form a ball at the end of the cable. Then I insert it in a cable adapter then into the barrel clamp. I have to run 2 return springs plus the coil spring on the carb itself and have never had a problem with anything pulling apart.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: