Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Mini Fender Flares
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

On my 86' Syncro I have mini fender flares, not mud flaps, are these stock or aftermarket and what is the value of these I have one which needs replacement. I haven't seen these in the Classifieds for a while. Looking for any leads on them. Also what's the prices on Rocky Mountain Westys end caps for the bumper,I'm heading out to get a repair estimate and haven't heard back from them yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

They are called " Spats" and torn off by those who off road thier rigs, restored and installed by those purists. $200 ish for a nice set if I remember.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

This is where InSyncro used to jump in and say "I have 400 of them and none are for sale."

Maybe check with Chris at T3 Technique? He had a set for sale in the classifieds up until yesterday. Maybe he has a few more.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

AFAIK they were a factory option. It took me about a year to make a set from two different sources in the Samba classifieds.
When my van took a similar hit to yours I was careful to pick up the errant spat off the road and hold on to it until the body work is done!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

( Elmer Fudd voice) be vewy vewy kewfull removing the nuts from the studs that go through the wheel lip. Soak them several times over several days with penetrating oil. 99% of all used ones have the studs spun in the plastic from an over zealous air wrench removing them.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
termuehlen wrote:
Does anyone know if the small mud flaps were factory or dealer installed.

Factory, they came on syncros originally equipped with 205 tires.

0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
This is where InSyncro used to jump in and say "I have 400 of them and none are for sale."

That's what he would say, but in PM he would try to price gouge you for a used set. Rolling Eyes

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

Mike Ghia calls them spats(probably a brit term for mud flap)so people started calling them that on this forum. Your van came with the 205 tires from the factory.
You might be able to remove it and epoxy in a bolt or drive a screw into it to repair it. I have saved a few that way. Typically when people attempt to remove them they break the metal stud off or it spins in the plastic.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

Do a search for some "Chicago screw" fasteners. This is an easy and clean way to repair items like this that need to be sandwiched. If desired, one half (the female side) of the fastener can also be glued to the base material with some RV Goop or similar adhesive. I like the kind that the male threaded portion can come through and also where both sides of the fastener can be held/driven. Here's an example of the type I like: https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Guy-Gear-Leathercraft-C...bleep+screw Hope this helps.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

Ocean - I believe you are uncannily accurate on InSyncro/Dylan. Right down to the exact part being discussed. I'd have to research it but my Syncro was missing one and I may have pm'd him also looking for one. He had a lot of great knowledge - wish he could have gotten over himself more in order to share it.

Dojg
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

No love loss for Insyncro s demise , although the knowledge was there.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

I did have a personal interaction with him over these little flares. It's to bad his attude was so poor. The guy knew his stuff more then anyone, but I think he dident have the VW sort of attitude of being helpful and kind to others.

Who knows, maybe he ended up in a WRX forum where the attude is a little more brash like a teenager. Anyways, I hope the guy changes and becomes a better person. Wish him well.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

Part numbers if you can find them are:

Left front - 251 821 809 A
Right front - 251 821 810 A
Left rear - 251 821 811 B
Right rear - 251 821 812 B

Not sure which one you need to replace but Brickwerks in the UK are showing a left rear in stock - make sure you're sitting before you check the price. Very Happy

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/mud-flap-t3-rear-left-small-syncro-style.html
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

This could be a good item for 3D printing. Creating the model would be the crux, need a 3d scanner, CMM or something as all those curves would be difficult to draw from scratch (for me anyway).

On InSyncro, he isn't here to defend himself, he likely still browses, no need to antagonize him.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

I have a set that I would sell if you want.
Besides a few broken screws the flaps are
In decent shape. Just Pm me.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

I always though the spats came standard on the GL models (but maybe not) ?

For a good while now I've successfully used small (microscopic Wink ) brass screws in place of broken spat studs. Also used same to hold on full wheel flares when necessary.

I liked InSyncro, miss him, and see far worse still on the forum. But he personally pissed off at least one moderator, was given lots of warnings and that was it. He failed to realize the forum is not a democracy. Shocked Very Happy
charlesnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Mini Fender Flares Reply with quote

Vanagain.com is showing A left rear for $125.00 https://www.vanagain.com/shop/mud-flap-for-syncro-vanagon-left-rear/
says it will take 3 weeks from Germany.[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: