Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Drag Only When Going Forward
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
57RTOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

Looking for some input on a brake issue on my 74 Thing. It has brake drag when going forward but rolls free going backwards. Any thoughts on why? I just bought this one and don't know the pedigree of the parts in the brake system. The only thing I suspect is the angle of the brake shoe frames is wrong where it meets the brake cylinder and star adjusters. That might cause the shoes to shift when going one way versus the other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

Maybe a sticking wheel cylinder.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

shoes put on wrong.. over adjusted.. emergency brake cable sticking.. wheel cyl stuck .. brake retaining spring broke..

Have you jacked up and found what wheel or wheels are hanging yet ?
c705ncp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

Apart from what has allready been said when jacked up find out which wheel or wheels is causeing the problem. I had a simular problem a few years ago and it turned out that one of the brake linings had come off brake shoe and was riding over ajuster.
Robert
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

c705ncp wrote:
Apart from what has allready been said when jacked up find out which wheel or wheels is causeing the problem. I had a simular problem a few years ago and it turned out that one of the brake linings had come off brake shoe and was riding over ajuster.
Robert

BINGO ^^
57RTOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

Thought I was going to get to look at it tonight but maybe tomorrow. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas. I haven't jacked it to figure out which wheel is the culprit. I suspect one of the fronts. I completely disconnected the e-brake cables and verified the cables move freely. I did pull both rear drums so I know both rear cylinders are working, all the star adjusters have the notches facing upwards like they should. All the springs are good.

So my attention needs to focus on the fronts. I suspect a star adjuster is installed upside down or could be what Robert suggested, a brake lining has come loose.

Now that the grass is cut, I can get back to it tomorrow! Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
c705ncp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

Did you find out what the problem was ?
Robert
57RTOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

Still haven't solved the mystery yet. Was convinced it was the back brakes so loosened the e-brake cable and backed off the adjusters. Made sure the front wheel adjusters were good. Brake drag was worse! I picked up new rubber hoses over the weekend at Swapapaluza and will be trying that route next along with loosening the front adjusters.

I'm thinking it's time for a disc brake conversion!
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drag Only When Going Forward Reply with quote

Well jack up the front and check for drag. Back off the adjustment if you have to, then test drive it. If the drag comes back then think maybe bad front brake lines, bad cylinder, or bad star springs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: