Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you quiet a poptop?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

I have an 87 westy and mine is pretty quiet I insulated all doors and used dyna mat and I put a couple of pieces of foam from those floaty things in some holes under the van around the a pillars (got that idea off samba). I just got back from an 800 mile trip driving 70 sometimes and the van is quiet.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:

I have been toying with "air tabs" and other small turbulator type devices for the last couple of years. The placement and results have been a bit counter intuitive to say the least but progress is being made.

Did you find a pattern for noise reduction or mileage changes with your air tabs experimenting? Eager to learn?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

if he means winglets, they can help when placed near the extremes (sides) of a wing

filling in the luggage well seems to be a major tmt. to do - I have a bag I can use up there if filled with foam noodles, etc. (thing is, I usually drive with the windows down so haven't tried it in the last few years)
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Vortex generators are installed on the upper wing surface to energize the boundary layer and lower the stalling speed. They are evident on B737's and other aircraft.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They've also been used at the back of the roof on cars to improve aerodynamic efficiency.

Here's a set I'm thinking of trying installed on the front of the luggage rack. Don't know if they will reduce noise or increase it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Shar....15.qQPe1t

At any rate they would look cool on my recently purchased, lifted, with big tires, 2WD poptop, that the PO tried to make look like a Syncro.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

that's likely what he meant by air tabs - I doubt if they will do anything on a subsonic Vanagon but you can see
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

I mention that my luggage carrier front lip vibrates at 40 mph making a horrible noise.

I'm prepping for an 8,000 mile journey........ it would be nice to do it without my roadside stick!

Today I opened the front screw holes in the fiberglass into slots.

I sat in the rack and put my weight on the front edge as I tightened the screws, now for a test drive!

I also removed three years of dirt and wasp nests!
From the dirt build up, I'd say that removal once every five years or so would be sufficient.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Airtabs™ are patented, unique wishbone shaped vortex generators designed to increase vehicle aerodynamic performance End of promotional text

They seem to work as advertised "airtab.com"

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
Airtabs™ are patented, unique wishbone shaped vortex generators designed to increase vehicle aerodynamic performance End of promotional text

I've emailed them asking if it would reduce the cabin noise level created by the luggage rack when installed on the leading edge.

Aloha
tp
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

their answer will be positive but vague
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I mention that my luggage carrier front lip vibrates at 40 mph making a horrible noise.

I'm prepping for an 8,000 mile journey........ it would be nice to do it without my roadside stick!

Today I opened the front screw holes in the fiberglass into slots.

I sat in the rack and put my weight on the front edge as I tightened the screws, now for a test drive!

I also removed three years of dirt and wasp nests!
From the dirt build up, I'd say that removal once every five years or so would be sufficient.

Dave

I had one I bought that was rusted through the roof along both sides because of the debris collected under it. I'd be checking it every season.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

When I found ^^ this ^^ under my Westy luggage rack, I installed vv these vv on the undersides of the drain holes.

More info here:

http://campwestfalia.com/westfalia-pop-up-roof-refurbishment
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Saw this in another Samba thread:

Note the luggage rack plug and AirTabs on the roof trailing edge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

Somebody did a lot of thinking. I'd like to hear his comments.

Aloha
tp
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:

Where did you place them? Any improvements in sound, stability or mileage? Thanks for experimenting!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

The pieces of yarn taped down I mentioned earlier would allow you to see the before and after effect.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

The air tabs will be inefective in the rear like that. There is no flow attached to the roof there. Look at the wind tunnel smoke traces and you will see what I mean. The air tabs work to trip the flow from laminar to turbulent. You see them placed closer to the leading edge of an airfoil, not at the trailing edge.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

They would be more effective placed at the front. It is very possible/likely that with a set at the front edge of the poptop the set at the rear would become effective.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I have also put FatMat on a small area of the inside of the sheet metal body underneath the luggage carrier. That has helped turn what is normally a big timpani drum into an acoustically dead piece of sheet metal. You have to remove the headliner panel in order to do that work and you only need to cover a small percentage of the total sheet metal surface area to gain the intended deadening effect.

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

Would it be easier to remove the luggage carrier and stick the FatMat sound deadener to the outside, under the carrier? It looks like just a few bolts.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Been there...done this:

Yes, it's quieter with the panel than without, but it seems there are other much noisier
areas. I also have sound deadening under the front carpet & on sheet metal forward of
the dash, plus all new window seals & clear duct tape covering the rain gutters on the
A pillars. All help to a certain degree, but there's always more to do/try... Rolling Eyes

I haven't installed my front-door-leading-edge-seals yet, but I expect good things
when I do...(borrowed pic):

I also need to stuff the bottom of the B pillars as suggested.

- Dave

FWIW: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6170681

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Those airtabs should not be right at the rear but I am not sure how far forward they ought to be placed on a Vanagon to provide whatever modest effect they might provide. That would involve a fair amount of calculations and soe data too.

Filling in the luggage well is the first thing to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: