Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

I'm so excited! Our patricia - our patina ghia has been featured in the new VolksAmerica magazine - Issue 6.
https://volksamerica.com/issues/index.php/product/volksamerica-issue-6/

I'm so appreciative of all the help I received on the Samba in her preservation. Thanks again for all you’ve offered - much support and guidance from this great forum.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

Ha! Congratulations Ri...well deserved. I can remember the former owner of your 'vert...thank goodness you rescued it. Smile

Incidentally Paul Cave gave my '59 Judson Beetle a front cover and feature in issue 2 of UK magazine "Total VW" back in May 1999.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

Congratulations Bluedot,
This car has a style of its own and makes for an interesting article. well done
Good to see the Airedale in the driver's seat.
Nicholas
Scurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

What a character Ghia! Once we receive our new one we'll post a pic with our Welsh Terrier in her Laughing
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

Thanks for the congrats. Our moderators are Cool Dudes. Their ghias are world class.

I was super happy to have VolksAmerica contact us - and especially thrilled to talk about the philosophy of the preservation and using it - instead of the typical process of a restoration where we are afraid of it.

I shot these photos with a Sony A7IIR and Zeiss prime lenses.

The car has become part of the local color of the Oregon Coast. Every time we drive it in on a busy tourist day, people are taking photos of her and my airedale. I park it next to a ferrari, and more people are interested in the beat up old VW. Go figure.

We usually get at least one "sick" as we drive by. Smile

I've had plenty of people tell me about their $10k paint job, and how it broke their heart to tell their kids not to put their matchbox car on the fender. How they were afraid to drive it. The stress it caused them.

Some of the "restorations" that are being done to vw's destroys them. I'm hoping to spread the word there are other options to enjoy these great cars!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

Really nice feature on a really sweet Karmann Ghia - Congratulations on both!

Your philosophy on "restoration" is a sound one indeed, and it brings to mind one of those credit card ads that would list

the purchase cost of the Karmann Ghia,
the cost of the improvements which make it mechanically sound,
the cost of customizing it per your individual taste,
the cost of stripping off the Faux Fokker paint scheme so that what remains of the OG paint can be appreciated "As Is",

and a closing summary that goes something like ...

Being able to actually drive and enjoy the car without constant fear of normal wear and tear - Priceless
Smile

I'm all for owners "restoring" their own Karmann Ghia in whichever way helps them get maximum enjoyment from it.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

the cost of stripping off the Faux Fokker paint scheme so that what remains of the OG paint can be appreciated "As Is"

OMG! Shocked You remember what we started with?

I was lucky to have driven it! No shocks on the beam, 1/2" of clearance so it bottomed out everywhere. Rear bump steer over 40mph? No seat pads, no glass, no top - and a messerschmidt paint job. Imagine that in todays radical climate... My friends said "I can't believe you actually had the guts to drive that home!"

swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

Nice! What wheels are actually on the car now? Personally i love the look of the smoothies. Is that mahogany wood on your rack? It looks great .Ive been contemplating on doing something similar for a while and now you've convinced me to get on it!
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

I have both sets of wheels and swap em out as an OCD exercise.
Cherry stain on oak - the rack rusted really fast, but matched!
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
I have both sets of wheels and swap em out as an OCD exercise.
Cherry stain on oak - the rack rusted really fast, but matched!

Ahh rust.......didnt think about what drilling all those hole would do to it. CIP does sell a stainless version. I think maybe i'll experiment with some different adhesives then. thanks for the heads up.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

Oh geez....just when I decided to paint my patina Ghia this comes up...you got me rethinking this again. Congrats on the article, and I understand where you are coming from, I'm very reluctant to do any kind of cutting and welding on my Ghia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Oh geez....just when I decided to paint my patina Ghia this comes up...you got me rethinking this again...

Don't do it! This patina is amazing - what character!

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

thanks blue dot.

i have enjoyed the patina on my car now for almost 8 years, it's been interesting to see it change over time, some of it caused by weather and time, and some by me, trying to take off layers and get to the og dolphin blue. what i have found is that there isn't that much left under all that silver, and what looks like might have been green at some time.

my plan is to keep the original interior, (i love how all the knobs and steering wheel match the age of the car), take it down to bare metal, and try my best to find a painter who can get dolphin blue matched up to the interior. i will also re-chrome the bumpers and hub caps.

then i will go on to enjoy my ghia as i always have, not worrying about the paint, etc.. and over time it will patina once again in its original color.

again, great job on your car, and i appreciate your approach to the preservation.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

I just got the email from Volksamerica announcing the new issue. It has small photos of the feature cars. I saw the photo in the meadow and immediately recognized your vert. I instinctively clicked on the pic but it doesn't take you to the article. Guess ya gotta buy the issue... Thanks for posting the whole enchilada!!
I completely forgot about the airforce fighter look you started with until you posted those pics today. Its fun to look back at where you started and all you have accomplished.
Super cool and unique Ghia!! Props!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
thanks blue dot.

i have enjoyed the patina on my car now for almost 8 years, it's been interesting to see it change over time, some of it caused by weather and time, and some by me, trying to take off layers and get to the og dolphin blue. what i have found is that there isn't that much left under all that silver, and what looks like might have been green at some time.

my plan is to keep the original interior, (i love how all the knobs and steering wheel match the age of the car), take it down to bare metal, and try my best to find a painter who can get dolphin blue matched up to the interior. i will also re-chrome the bumpers and hub caps.

then i will go on to enjoy my ghia as i always have, not worrying about the paint, etc.. and over time it will patina once again in its original color.

again, great job on your car, and i appreciate your approach to the preservation.

In your case John I agree with you. I think Ri is lucky in having a lot of the original left to work with, Just like Rus (aerosilver) and his red '55.

Patina is a natural process and as you've said your original Dolphin Blue has suffered several interventions in its life, with so little of the original left a repaint is fully justified...I'd do it too. In fact mine has one repaint but again like yours my interior will remain untouched.

Can't fake this...

NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

the cost of stripping off the Faux Fokker paint scheme so that what remains of the OG paint can be appreciated "As Is"

OMG! Shocked You remember what we started with?

I was lucky to have driven it! No shocks on the beam, 1/2" of clearance so it bottomed out everywhere. Rear bump steer over 40mph? No seat pads, no glass, no top - and a messerschmidt paint job. Imagine that in todays radical climate... My friends said "I can't believe you actually had the guts to drive that home!"

I remember seeing these. Didn't it come from Hood River or somewhere around there? Congratulations, BTW....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

Question. How did you take from the article from the mag and have it show up in perfect image on thesamba? Inquiring minds want to know how you did it . Cool
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Question. How did you take from the article from the mag and have it show up in perfect image on thesamba? Inquiring minds want to know how you did it . Cool

They were kind enough to send me a proof to make any corrections, and to show me the layout. They asked me not to share it until the magazine hit the newsstands.

It was a PDF proof, and I combined the spanned pages in Adobe and converted everything to JPG for the samba.

I'm geeky like that. Smile
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

They were kind enough to send me a proof to make any corrections, and to show me the layout. They asked me not to share it until the magazine hit the newsstands.

It was a PDF proof, and I combined the spanned pages in Adobe and converted everything to JPG for the samba.

I'm geeky like that. Smile

Thank you. HVW did not send me anything like that but I would like to post a feature. Yours looked so good I thought I would ask you. Nice geeky work Wink
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Our ghia in the new issue of VolksAmerica! Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Thank you. HVW did not send me anything like that but I would like to post a feature. Yours looked so good I thought I would ask you. Nice geeky work Wink

Still got a copy? Send it to me, I'll scan it and do it for you! PM me Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: