Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW Beetle main brake line
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bajahappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

So my main brake line that runs from the master to the rear is rusted out. Just blew out under the carpet. Can you make this line or should I just order it? What size are the fittings and line?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

I see them all the time for $15-$20 from all the major vendors premade to correct length and with correct fittings. How much is your time worth?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

It is a pain in the ass to do. Just warning you. But if your main line is toast, you really want to consider looking at the rest of them closely. I would suggest just getting an entire hardline kit. Also get yourself 3 or 4 brake line grommets where it passes through the pan in the front and back.

The standard kit is about $25, but stainless or the Wolfsburg West teflon coated ones are more like $50.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bajahappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea. I'm guessing I need to order it online no one seems to have it local. I called Autozone, Advance and few more and most of them said they can't get it one said he could order it for $35.00 for the one line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

www.bughaus.com sells complete kit it's high quality German shipped to your door. Plan on taking out drivers seat and rear seat, peel up carpets drivers side along tunnel. Remove gas tank, drivers front wheel drivers rear wheel. Hard part is tee fitting where it connects rear. May need to de mount the fitting to get started.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

you can get two from autozone and get the job done.. makes it easier to.. as one long one is a pain... it is really up to you and time.. got time order the right long one.. want car fixed today get two from autozone with a coupling and be done
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

I installed that long line last year, with the body off my pan, and it was still a PITA.
When you buy the new line you will have to bend it to the correct shape. Save the old line and use it as a template when bending the new line.

Good luck.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Beetle main brake line Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
I installed that long line last year, with the body off my pan, and it was still a PITA.
When you buy the new line you will have to bend it to the correct shape. Save the old line and use it as a template when bending the new line.

Good luck.

I have probably installed somewhere around 40 - 50 .. never ever remember one being easy lol..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: