Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScreaminJimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug? Reply with quote

Any of you guys ever install one of these in an oval dash? They have different diameters available but I'm not exactly sure which one will fit best. (My bug is a driver and I'd rather not pull the dash apart until I'm ready to do the swap.) Also not sure if I can use the factory VW trim ring or if I'll have to ditch it. I do know that I will NOT be trimming the dash for any reason.

Any insight on actual installations would be helpful.

www.speedhut.com

Thanks all.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug? Reply with quote

Oval speedometers mount in the same manner as the later Bugs.
I think the Speehut gauges look really nice . . . some photos here and mounting info too . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607959&highlight=speedhut
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug? Reply with quote

I fully expected to be horrified, but that actually looks rather nice.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug? Reply with quote

Nice... Where do you fit the antenna ? In the trunk, or does it need to have free sky view ? Thanks.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug? Reply with quote

From the Speedhut website . . . http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4.5-DUALGPS-SF-05T...high-beam)
"•GPS Speedometer (w/ turn signal and high beam) does not require a transmission sensor to operate making installation very easy in vehicles which lack electronic sensor output or for individuals wanting the simplest speedometer installation.
GPS Antenna included with 15' cable to route antenna to convenient location in corner of dash."

This info is from the Speedhut website F.A.Q. section . . . http://www.speedhut.com/faq.i#where-should-i-mount-the-gps-speedometer-antenna
"For best performance, mount GPS antenna with as much view of sky as possible (preferably on the roof of the vehicle).
The GPS antenna is waterproof and magnetic. If the car’s roof is not accessible then mount the antenna on top of the vehicle’s dash with as much exposure as possible to the sky through the window.
(Antenna is able to receive signal through some thin materials i.e. wood, glass, fiberglass, and plastic. All types of metal will block the signal.)"
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug? Reply with quote

If someone makes a good fiberglass hood it could be mounted under it. On my beach buggy I attached a small piece of 1.5 inch angle iron to the top of the firewall inside the car and the magnetic base holds the Speedhut GPS pickup to that. It isn't visible and works great. I have also seen the GPS pickup mounted on a tab added to a bumper bracket at one VW show, I don't know how well that worked.
ScreaminJimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Speedhut GPS speedo in an oval window bug? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, especially 57BLITZ, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: