Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door won't open if window down.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

1973 Type 2 / Bus

I tried to search out this problem, but the results focused on advice on how to clean the locks or about keys and mechanisms. Haven't found this problem:

Arrow Removed both front door locks for cleaning and adjusting. Came out great! Doors open smartly with just the right finger squeeze, and graphite in the locks after flushing with electrical contact cleaner really compliments the code-cut key.

But wait... now when the driver's side window is rolled all the way down (I have not yet serviced the window regulator) I cannot open the door, either from inside or out. I have to roll up the window about 4 to 6 inches, then I can easily open the door.

Question What did I screw up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

pull the door panel off and you will see what's binding.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Panel is still off because I need to service the window regulator and make a new plastic sheet. The locking mechanism is recessed behind sheet metal, so I cannot figure out what is hitting it.

I'll have another go with it soon. Just wrapped up three weeks of front end work this morning, and was just glad to actually move the bus off the jack stands. It's like over 100 degrees outside now, and I'm too much of a snowflake to go back out until I get back from work tomorrow morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

you better get your butt on it before the weekend - it will be 112 F here Friday...

Did the windows come out during this or just the locking mechanism?

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Does the 73 still have the extra window guide section you have to remove to get at the latch? (can't recall whan that got deleted), it may be clipped in wrong at the top and interfering, or the rubber U channel is getting pushed into the works.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you better get your butt on it before the weekend - it will be 112 F here Friday...

Sounds great! Razz Plus all the crappy, nose bleeding air that comes with that.

SGKent wrote:
Did the windows come out during this or just the locking mechanism?

Just the locking mechanism. It's a tricky little dance, but nothing else needs to come out.

busdaddy wrote:
Does the 73 still have the extra window guide section you have to remove to get at the latch? (can't recall whan that got deleted), it may be clipped in wrong at the top and interfering, or the rubber U channel is getting pushed into the works.

Well, there is part of the vertical metal track that has a 10mm cap screw on the bottom that needs to be removed. Then, you have to pull forward on that track... almost to the point of bending it... then the locking mechanism can squeeze by. Maybe I can look up in there with a mini-mag light or something and see what's blocking it.

Probably best if I wait until the concrete is hot enough to scorch my knees as I try to look up there. Wink
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Well, there is part of the vertical metal track that has a 10mm cap screw on the bottom that needs to be removed. Then, you have to pull forward on that track... almost to the point of bending it... then the locking mechanism can squeeze by. Maybe I can look up in there with a mini-mag light or something and see what's blocking it.

You know, if you pull down on that it pops out and makes access much easier, maybe it's become unclipped at the top?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Maybe. I will check that out. The locking mechanism also has a odd shaped plastic piece clips over it. It may have become dislodged and is in the way.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

That plastic piece gave me trouble on one of my locks when I replaced the latches. the rod that goes to the lock knob on the late bay can also come out of the grommet in the door if you have that style latch. Early latches had the lock as part of the inner handle.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

I put on my big boy pants and ventured outside when it got down to just above 90* and discovered that I failed to fasten the vertical window track at the bottom. Track is hanging out, most likely my problem. Screw is missing in action, so I will get it replaced and hopefully I can close out this thread in a swift manner.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Jeez Steve,
I want the two days of my life back I spent reading your thread only to find out you forgot that screw.

Just kidding bro. Glad you worked it out. Come on you guys! It never gets that hot down here. I'm going to Borrego this weekend in search of warm weather. The thing is it will only be 108 by the pool.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Sorry Gary!

And Mark... and Steve... and everyone else. Laughing

I'm sure I will be punished in a round fashion shortly for this.

Weather... now the Sierra Nevada is on fire... again. It's a great time to be in the Valley.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

#9-10 the same for 73
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/8-043a.jpg
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/8-043b.jpg
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Yes, parts 9 and 10 were left out by me, causing part 7 to become source of annoyance.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door won't open if window down. Reply with quote

Well, the missing screw was not the problem. Still had trouble.

Wasted youth wrote:
...there is part of the vertical metal track that has a 10mm cap screw on the bottom that needs to be removed. Then, you have to pull forward on that track... almost to the point of bending it... then the locking mechanism can squeeze by. Maybe I can look up in there with a mini-mag light or something and see what's blocking it.

The window track (Part 7) was deflected during this process. The deflection was just enough to pinch the door lock handle push rod from smoothly operating the door latch assembly. I massaged that straight and smooth again, and the problem is resolved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: