Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

melville wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
RBurn wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
Simpletire.com has Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/R-14 for $89.93 + shipping.

I read mixed reviews a out that website, but used there price to get americas tire to match it.

I have no problems with them. I ordered these on Friday night and got them this morning. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.

What's the date code on them? I'd heard the Michelins were out of production.

Date code on them is 1416. So a year and 3 months old. Could be out of production. Made in Thailand.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:
. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.

The simpletire website says:

These tires are intended for trailer axles only, and can withstand long miles of in-line hauling. They're not meant for steering or drive axle applications, and their design offers years of reliable service in trailer applications.....

Safe to use on drive and steering axles?

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
Quote:
. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.

The simpletire website says:

These tires are intended for trailer axles only, and can withstand long miles of in-line hauling. They're not meant for steering or drive axle applications, and their design offers years of reliable service in trailer applications.....

Safe to use on drive and steering axles?

Not sure where you are reading that. It is a LT tire (light truck). From this Simpletire link:
https://simpletire.com/michelin-195-r14c-14307-tir...gJ3DPD_BwE

"Designed with extra durability for light vans and commercial use, MICHELIN® Agilis® tires are original equipment on Volkswagen EuroVan.

Features & Benefits

Tackle Tough Loads: A reinforced, extra robust carcass allows Agilis® tires to easily handle heavy loads, particularly those involved in urban, commercial applications."

From Michelin:
http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/agilis.html#

"Commercial light van tire reinforced to stand up to heavy loads."
txjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
But these in 185r 14 with a 8 ply in load D range for $50 seem too good to be true.
https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ

The listing shows them as trailer tires. Trailer tires don't work well on drive or steer axles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

txjake wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
But these in 185r 14 with a 8 ply in load D range for $50 seem too good to be true.

The listing shows them as trailer tires. Trailer tires don't work well on drive or steer axles.

However, the tire specifically says "light truck" on it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They might be selling them as an option for trailer tires due to the fact that not many small trucks use this size any more.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
txjake wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

However, the tire specifically says "light truck" on it

They might be selling them as an option for trailer tires due to the fact that not many small trucks use this size any more.

I think their page is in error, actually they could add passenger tire and all would be well. But as it reads it is for trailers and the link says trailer axle only, so having both designations would be in conflict. So back to the error, it should be listed as passenger tire period.
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:

I think their page is in error, actually they could add passenger tire and all would be well. But as it reads it is for trailers and the link says trailer axle only, so having both designations would be in conflict. So back to the error, it should be listed as passenger tire period.

They aren't passenger car tires either, that's a different rating also.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

Note both ads have no UTQG.

"Ranger R101 is designed for small commercial vans."
https://www.tires-easy.com/185-14/thunderer-tires/ranger-r101/tirecode/TH0304

"Special Trailer Service (ST) tires are not required to be UTQG rated."
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=309

Tcash

PS just an fyi
Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires
Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) were originated to provide consumers with useful information to help them purchase tires based on their relative treadwear, traction and temperature capabilities. While it is required by law for most passenger car tires sold in the United States, it is not required for deep treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires, temporary spare tires, trailer tires, tires under 12" in diameter and other select tires.

Really only passenger tires are required by law to have the rating. From what i read, the actual rating has issues and is not consistent.

"Maybe it's because tires are so complex and their uses can be so varied, that [UTQG] grades don't always reflect their actual performance in real world use."
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Well, I decided to go with the Ranger Thunderer R101. It is 185R14 and says it's a light truck tire.

My review... I can't tell the difference between these and the white walls I had before. LOL I have only driven it around town though and my white walls were rated for 1400lbs. So a real review will come after I have driven it to Arcata and back in a week. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
Tcash wrote:

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) were originated to provide consumers with useful information to help them purchase tires based on their relative treadwear, traction and temperature capabilities. While it is required by law for most passenger car tires sold in the United States, it is not required for deep treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires, temporary spare tires, trailer tires, tires under 12" in diameter and other select tires.

Really only passenger tires are required by law to have the rating. From what i read, the actual rating has issues and is not consistent.

"Maybe it's because tires are so complex and their uses can be so varied, that [UTQG] grades don't always reflect their actual performance in real world use."

Gotta link?
Thank you
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

justcruzin wrote:
Well, I decided to go with the Ranger Thunderer R101. It is 185R14 and says it's a light truck tire.

My review... I can't tell the difference between these and the white walls I had before. LOL I have only driven it around town though and my white walls were rated for 1400lbs. So a real review will come after I have driven it to Arcata and back in a week. Very Happy

If we don't hear back from you, I will expect the worst? But I know better!
Keep on Busing
Tcash
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
RBurn wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Gotta link?
Thank you
Tcash

This was on tirerack site

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Smushy wrote:
I recently got the Yokohama Y370 195/75r14. Might be a good fit for what you want. Or other Canadian's on here as discussed above. I believe they are a more aggressive version of the Y356. I found them local in Ontario.

They are LT rated 8-ply banded tires that have some decent grip but they aren't noisey and don't look as aggressive as the Grabbers/BFG A/Ts. So far only have a few hundred miles on them but I like them.

For Canadians, I reckon you're spot on. In fact, it's the only tire that I've seen actually called "Ideal for Westphalias": https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/y370/22970 . And another "ideal" rating: http://www.type2.com/library/tires/t2tirefq.htm (20 years ago at that).

After nine years of service from my beloved Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS 195R14s (with a rear sidewall blowout a few days ago from age!), I'm now looking at the Y370 Yokohamas as the replacement set. I'm also setting six or seven years as my tire retirement date since I don't want a repeat of that highway blowout.

I came across this Facebook page for Joe's Tire Hospital in Duncan, B.C. today: https://www.facebook.com/Joes-Tire-Hospital-1611593532484292/?rf=477686652302232 . A guy who renovates/reconditions old VW campers in the area bought 200 of the Yokohama Y370s this spring claiming that the company was going to be discontinuing them in the near future: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/VW-Westf...T_28697830 (check out his website, too -- awesome restorations).

If you need any Yokohama Y370s in the next year, maybe order them now? I did!

August 14th UPDATE:

This just in from Yokohama Tire (Canada) Inc:

Dear Yokohama Customer,

Yes, the Y370 will be phased out in the months to come unfortunately due to the fact that it no longer meets new environmental regulations. There is no plan to have a replacement for it at this moment unfortunately.
We are sorry for the trouble.

Merci, Thank you

Customer Service Manager
[email protected]
1-888-965-6835

Last edited by VdubVanner on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

RV's typically are vehicles that do not wear out tires. Most RVers say it is good advice to replace your tires every 5 years if you take care of them (proper inflation, regular rotations, protecting them from the sun with covers, avoiding temperature extremes, putting the vehicle up off the tires when storing for longer than a month, etc.). If abused, then sooner.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Currently a great deal on Grabbers on eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322246681671?_mwBanner=1
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Feedback from anyone on the Nokian eNtyre 205/70-15 I plan on going with a 15" aftermarket rim. Tristessa, I sent you a message, please check!!
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Quick short-term use follow-up on Michelin Defender LTX M/S 215/55R16 XL tires - great so far!

We replaced our nearly worn out Michelin Agilis 81 185R14C tires on stock steel rims. These tires performed well, even in very wet conditions with older rubber and a good bit of tread wear.

New wheels are refurbished forged alloy CLK320 rims (thanks T3Technique for the hardware and consult). I have not done a highway run yet, but the new tires seem great - stable in straight line, great support cornering, quieter and more supple. In short, I'm really happy with performance thus far. Extended drive coming this weekend. I'll check in again after that.

The CLK320 rims required drilling out the lug holes and use of new lug nuts (small ball seat). Other than that, straight plug and play.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone got tire tips for Porsche 356 rims on a early bay? 5,5 15"

I've got a narrowed front beam waiting to be fitted, but it looks like the rear will be a tight fit unless going for narrow tires?
sdavidg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Currently a great deal on Grabbers on eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322246681671?_mwBanner=1

Picked up a set of these with 15% back in eBay bucks ($64 dollars credit)

Thanks Rich!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 177 of 198

Jump to: