Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

I searched the samba for Vintage Hoffman pictures but no luck.

It would be great to see exterior and interior vintage pictures ('50s maybe early '60s) of Hoffman splits specially standard splits.

I have a '50 Hoffman standard and I like to restore it like the day it left the VW factory.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any information will be appreciated.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

Only one I have of my Hoffman 11g

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Only one I have of my Hoffman 11g

Thanks Kevin!
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

It is going to be very difficult to determine if your car differed at all from a normal factory 50 standard. Are you hoping it might have different details being a hoffman car?

Id think if you restored it to typical 50 standard specifications, that would be about as close as you could get to authenticity.

I know you've wondered about the trim being a hoffman/factory addition. Is there going to be a way to confirm this?
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

sled wrote:
It is going to be very difficult to determine if your car differed at all from a normal factory 50 standard. Are you hoping it might have different details being a hoffman car?

Id think if you restored it to typical 50 standard specifications, that would be about as close as you could get to authenticity.

I know you've wondered about the trim being a hoffman/factory addition. Is there going to be a way to confirm this?

One of the main reasons I'm looking for pictures is because the M-code 001 which is the Chrome package. I have tbe birth certificate and it has M001 on it. My Hoffman Standard has the holes for the body trim including on the original standard split hood.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

Seems like it has come up several times that many Hoffman standards had chrome bumpers and headlight bezels. I know of one car like this, and can remember this point being raised with others over the years. Of course it goes without saying, that these things were easily and often changed in years past
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Seems like it has come up several times that many Hoffman standards had chrome bumpers and headlight bezels. I know of one car like this, and can remember this point being raised with others over the years. Of course it goes without saying, that these things were easily and often changed in years past

I do get the chrome bumpers, hubcaps, door handles (in and out), headlight Bezels but what I don't have any information about the body trim.

Here is a picture of a standard with body trim. I know it's not a Hoffman but it probably left the factory with the body trim.

Here is a '55 standard with M-Code 001. It has the body trim and according to the seller the car is all original.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2087729

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

My June 50 Hoffman standard has M-code 001, but does not have any holes for trim on the body (and they have not been filled). It had chrome door handles, which were original with the original key, but bumpers and interior handles where changed over the years. I'm replacing with chrome original-style bumpers and interior handles.
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

50Splitman wrote:
My June 50 Hoffman standard has M-code 001, but does not have any holes for trim on the body (and they have not been filled). It had chrome door handles, which were original with the original key, but bumpers and interior handles where changed over the years. I'm replacing with chrome original-style bumpers and interior handles.

Yes, a friend of mine has an early January '51 Hoffman with M-code 001 and it doesn't have the holes for the body trim but he does have the chrome handles and headlight bezels. Hubcaps and bumpers are painted but that was probably changed at one point.

The holes for the body trim on my '50 are perfect and don't seem to be drilled later in his life. That goes for the holes for the hood trim.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

FRK wrote:

This car is a '48 so definitely didn't leave the factory with chrome side/hood trim.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

RichOakley wrote:
FRK wrote:

This car is a '48 so definitely didn't leave the factory with chrome side/hood trim.

I did see the big VW logo on the hubcaps but It through me off because of the bumpers and I can't really tell if it has an L hood handle.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
RichOakley wrote:
FRK wrote:

I did see the big VW logo on the hubcaps but It through me off because of the bumpers and I can't really tell if it has an L hood handle.

I enlarged the photo and yes, it has the L-shaped hood handle.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

Question would it have the ribbed aluminum trim Question

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
FRK wrote:
RichOakley wrote:
FRK wrote:

I enlarged the photo and yes, it has the L-shaped hood handle.

Thanks
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: vintage Pictures of Hoffman Splits or Information Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Question would it have the ribbed aluminum trim Question

That's what we are trying to find out but If it's a split then yes, it should have the ribbed aluminum trim.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: