Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre A headlights
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Pre A headlights Reply with quote

Can anyone direct me to some good pictures of the headlights I should have on my '54?

I have no idea what lens markings, adjuster screw positions, etc. should be.

Any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic I took of a 1954 coupe. About all you can see is the screw positions. I'm assuming these headlights are correct for a 1954.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a friends 1953. Same screw positions. Again I am assuming these are correct for the car.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 54 with same screw positions [EDIT] the earlier hood handle was 1954 & earlier. 1955 had A style hood handle.

Last edited by mpribanic on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:40 am; edited 3 times in total
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1955 same screw positions

00SEVEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: PRE A Reply with quote

Another angle and a close up... Need to give my scanner a clean!

I am no expert, just an enthusiast' Cool

-From a 54-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Registry website and written by Charlie White:

In the 1955 Pre-A parts book, Porsche lists three (3) separate headlight assemblies: Bosch (644.631.101.00), Hella (644.631.101.01), and Hella sealed beam (644.631.101.31). It also mentions that the Park Light and Blinker light were one unit (meaning the little white beehive light in front). I haven't seen a blinking headlight assembly, but who knows. This seems to rule out park lights in the headlight assembly. The rest of the 1955 parts book seems to verify this as there are no other Park light parts or assemblies listed. From comparing part numbers to those in later Porsche parts books, it can be deduced that the Hella sealed beam was probably intended for USA, the Hella was probably for right hand traffic countries, except USA; and the Bosch was for Left hand traffic countries (England, for example).

Hope that helps...

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
That's way more info than I was abl to get from the registry site with the same question.

I'm thinking of going with a "European" look, so I guess I'll be looking for Hella "fluted" non sealed units with the adjusting screws at the bottom.

Thanks for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
00SEVEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpribanic wrote:
From the Registry website and written by Charlie White:

In the 1955 Pre-A parts book, Porsche lists three (3) separate headlight assemblies: Bosch (644.631.101.00), Hella (644.631.101.01), and Hella sealed beam (644.631.101.31). It also mentions that the Park Light and Blinker light were one unit (meaning the little white beehive light in front). I haven't seen a blinking headlight assembly, but who knows. This seems to rule out park lights in the headlight assembly. The rest of the 1955 parts book seems to verify this as there are no other Park light parts or assemblies listed. From comparing part numbers to those in later Porsche parts books, it can be deduced that the Hella sealed beam was probably intended for USA, the Hella was probably for right hand traffic countries, except USA; and the Bosch was for Left hand traffic countries (England, for example).

Hope that helps...

With the separate part numbers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:

I'm thinking of going with a "European" look, so I guess I'll be looking for Hella "fluted" non sealed units with the adjusting screws at the bottom.

Good choice

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpribanic wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

Good choice

Today I found a set of Bosch units as described above. I had them set aside for a car I never built I'm assuming.

Adjusters at the bottom, no VW logo, no parking light, but Bosch script across the glass.

Correct, good enough, not even close?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
mpribanic wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

Good choice

Today I found a set of Bosch units as described above. I had them set aside for a car I never built I'm assuming.

Adjusters at the bottom, no VW logo, no parking light, but Bosch script across the glass.

Please post pictures, front and back with any visible stampings/date codes. I believe all script Bosch assemblies should have adjusting screws at 9 and 12 o'clock.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:
mpribanic wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

Good choice

Please post pictures, front and back with any visible stampings/date codes. I believe all script Bosch assemblies should have adjusting screws at 9 and 12 o'clock.

I'll get pictures today.
Could be Bosch lenses only.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

Looks like Hella assemblies with Bosch lenses. Time to hunt for lenses I guess.

jooles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are Hella with 60's Bosch lenses. I think the whole headlight is wrong as it is a later assembly I think (2 rivets on the ring, should be one I think). You should make a larger pic of your headlights, where we can see everything, and have a look there : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

In this link you will get the dates of the several Hella and Bosch products. This could help you Wink

Do anyone know if there is any difference between 356 and early bug headlight assemblies (except for the logos on the lenses)?

Thanks!

Julien
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jooles wrote:
Those are Hella with 60's Bosch lenses. I think the whole headlight is wrong as it is a later assembly I think (2 rivets on the ring, should be one I think). You should make a larger pic of your headlights, where we can see everything, and have a look there : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

In this link you will get the dates of the several Hella and Bosch products. This could help you Wink

Do anyone know if there is any difference between 356 and early bug headlight assemblies (except for the logos on the lenses)?

Thanks!

Julien

Thanks, that's the info I needed.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
jooles wrote:

Thanks!

Julien

Thanks, that's the info I needed.

Pre-356A sealed-beam Hella headlights do not have the parking light cutout; otherwise they are identical to VW assemblies. Early '54-built ('53 model carryover) 356s should have single-rivet rims; later '54s have two rivets.
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pre A headlights Reply with quote

Hi Folks, Sorry for dragging up an old post but I just found these headlights in my stash of bits that came with a Beetle I bought a while ago, these have been in storage in a box for at least 15 years and likely longer.
The codes on the glass are 1305614001 and 1208 and they are symmetrical with a stylised Bosch script so from what I'm able to ascertain are likely early 50's Beetle or Pre A 356.
The reflectors don't have any writing on the back and are in really nice condition with just a bit of spidering under the finish but are very servicable.
There are two slightly different buckets, one is black/grey with the original codes including a VW sign and the other is just grey with no writing, both have 3 drain holes and are in pretty decent condition.
The chrome rings are very nice with a couple of tiny dents likely from a piece of gravel being flipped up and the screw tabs have very slight surface corrosion, however no Bosch markings.

The bulb holders/terminal connectors are Bosch based on the small Bosch logo and again nice condition bar a bit of dusty grime which appears to wipe off with little effort.

They came to me in pieces but I believe I have all the bits to put them back together.

So a couple of questions, are these likely to be early 50's or as the Bosch markings aren't on the rings, or reflectors are they likely to be parts from various periods to make a good set.
2nd question is what is a fair price for them if anyone was looking for a set? My Beetle is a New Zealand 67 so although these would be very cool they aren't the right lights for it and these may be able to help fund some of the cost for the paint on my 67.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pre A headlights Reply with quote

Mr Warehouse, is yours a USA-delivery car? If so, then it originally had the '54 Hella sealed beam units that janerick3 describes.

If Euro-delivery (except for France), it had Bosch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: