Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

The reason why there's not a place to install it on a EV is because they don't catch fire like Vanagons, Busses and pretty much any old air cooled VW/Porsche. As we all remember back then, they used to catch fire quite often.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a T4 self immolating. That's one of the reasons I used to justify converting my T3 to diesel fuel. But, I'd just prefer to have one on hand anyway.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
The reason why there's not a place to install it on a EV is because they don't catch fire like Vanagons, Busses

For all vehicles on the road, fires are a possibility, be it fuel or electrical. I carry a fire extinguisher in all my VW's, including my new GTI.

As for the T4's specifically... photos for thought:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Better to be safe than sorry... Wink

And a belated congrats on your newest toy! Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I'm not saying that EV's will never catch fire but all of you that were back in the aircooled days, it was quite common for them to catch fire. That's why everyone carried fire extinguishers back then. Also, most people carried a 2-3 gallon container of spare gas in the engine compartment back on the right side of the engine compartment in a T1 or T2 bus.

For me, if mine catches fire, I'm going to get out and then watch it burn to the ground. Last thing you want is a sort of burned vehicle. You want to make sure it's going to be totaled no matter what. Most of the time, when you finally see the fire, it's too late anyway since the engine compartment is full of combustible materials it pretty much takes off way faster than they did back in the day. Another common fire is when you park it and walk away. 5 minutes later, it's up in flames.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

M'lady has instructed me to finally fix the sliding door PDL actuator. I've tracked it down to the spring contact connector in the slider. Does anyone have a good spare unit they'd sell?

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

It's been a while, so I'll provide a mini-update. We've owned the van for nearly a year and the admiration just grows with each successive day. I'm currently prepping the van for two separate camping trips (Deception Pass and the San Juans). One of our concerns has been what to do about ventilation when sleeping inside during summer. The van didn't come with the factory sliding window screens and I wasn't about to fork over major $$$ to GW for their ridiculously priced screens. So, I had my daughter sew ribbon and Velcro to screen material and then I glued the other side to the window and surrounding trim. I used J-hooks on the bottom to catch the lip in the window frame. It's certainly not a commercial grade end product, but it functionally does the job.

Here's a list of the many upgrades I've done in the past six months:

New tent
    ARB awning and brackets
    150k service (upper timing rail, H2O pump, crack pipe, therm housing, etc.)
    Transmission cooler
    Trans dipstick
    Trans filter and fluid change
    Double DIN stereo
    Rear cargo carrier
    LED interior lighting with door and manual switching
    Honda Pilot rear bumper threshold plate
    Euro front turn signal lenses

Next year our plans include the addition of mudflaps, aux. driving lights, a solar panel with all the attendant wiring and controllers, and possibly a 12v portable fridge--right now we have an Orca 58 cooler.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I almost forgot my favorite mod:

Now we can release the hatch from the inside...like VW should've included on all years and models.

y u rune klassik?
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I almost forgot my favorite mod:

Now we can release the hatch from the inside...like VW should've included on all years and models.

That interior hatch release is genius. Would you happen to have a DIY guide, or a parts list? Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I certainly can't take credit for the idea, but this particular execution of the idea is crudely simple. I believe the early models ('92-'93) actually had a plastic release built into the door panels. You can still see the cutout for the release on the hatch itself. For reasons known only to VAG management they discontinued with this release on later models. Anyhoo, I can't seem to find the pics I took of the latch mechanism, but once you have the panel off the little bracket that I hooked the cord onto becomes pretty self-evident. I believe it has a hole that the rod connecting with the release handle attaches to up top. I just put some anti-abrasion padding on the hatch were the cord rests, drilled the hole and slipped a little plastic escutcheon in there for good measure. It takes very little effort to release the hatch from the inside.

y u rune klassik?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
I'm not saying that EV's will never catch fire but all of you that were back in the aircooled days, it was quite common for them to catch fire. That's why everyone carried fire extinguishers back then. Also, most people carried a 2-3 gallon container of spare gas in the engine compartment back on the right side of the engine compartment in a T1 or T2 bus.

For me, if mine catches fire, I'm going to get out and then watch it burn to the ground. Last thing you want is a sort of burned vehicle. You want to make sure it's going to be totaled no matter what. Most of the time, when you finally see the fire, it's too late anyway since the engine compartment is full of combustible materials it pretty much takes off way faster than they did back in the day. Another common fire is when you park it and walk away. 5 minutes later, it's up in flames.

You said they don't catch fire like Vanagons. I've reviewed those pictures and they don't look like Vanagon fires.

Very Happy
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

So, we just finished our Summer road trips to the Salish Sea and the van did everything we needed fabulously. We love it more with every mile behind us. On this last trip I did get intermittent CELs (for the first time during our ownership), which I just checked with VCDS and found out they were:

Mode 03 Emission related fault codes

P0011 - Bank 1 Camshaft A (Intake) Retard Setpoint not reached (Over-Advanced).

The engine ran great the whole time, so there were no obvious performance issues.

y u rune klassik?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Well, you've got more money, but Im 10 years ahead of you in memories..

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

If you swap debt for the word money, then that statement might be factual.

y u rune klassik?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

That pink one is now 6 feet tall and clears the entire goal area on corner kicks..no one left standing...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I recently installed Bilstein shocks all around and did a complete rotor/pad change at all four ends. Prior to that I finally got around to installing the auto-dimming rearview mirror with temp and compass features. I'm currently prepping the van for a Chinese knock-off diesel heater, along with swapping out the rear carpet for PVC flooring. During that project, I'll be cutting out the floor mounts for the passenger rear-facing seat, and welding them in on the driver side. I like the quick change seat option.

y u rune klassik?
Wyotdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

My 02 EVWK is up for brakes, what did you go with for rotors and pads? Also, would love a new thread about the heater install when that happens.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It's been a while since I updated this thread. I recently installed Bilstein shocks all around and did a complete rotor/pad change at all four ends. Prior to that I finally got around to installing the auto-dimming rearview mirror with temp and compass features. I'm currently prepping the van for a Chinese knock-off diesel heater, along with swapping out the rear carpet for PVC flooring. During that project, I'll be cutting out the floor mounts for the passenger rear-facing seat, and welding them in on the driver side. I like the quick change seat option.

Yay for Bilsteins, and yay for an aux heater. I like the homemade window screen, perfect method to solve a problem without tossing a bunch of $$$ around.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I went with Zimmerman rotors, Jurid front pads and ATE rears. It's pricey stuff, but very high quality. The Bilsteins are amazing, but then again I can only compare them to original Boge shocks with 160k on them.

y u rune klassik?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I went with Zimmerman rotors, Jurid front pads and ATE rears. It's pricey stuff, but very high quality. The Bilsteins are amazing, but then again I can only compare them to original Boge shocks with 160k on them.

Bed in those new pads and rotors. Bilstein HD4600's are a proven aftermarket shock across vehicle brands. A bit stiffer than the OEM Boge.

https://europarts-sd.com/eurovanshockguide.asp shows some comparison.

I'd like an extended length shock since I'm lifted front and rear, but I haven't found one. GoWesty sells Fox shocks for the EV, but they're not extended length for lifted EV's.

If anyone knows of an extended length shock for Eurovans please chime in.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

My Vanagon is lifted, so I used a lower shock mount from a BMW as a shock extension. You can see it in this pic; just below the fuel filter.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: