Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help ID this case (single pressure relief)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Help ID this case (single pressure relief) Reply with quote

I did quite a bit of searching, but no success.

I just picked up a super solid '65 Beetle, Bahama Blue. But the engine is far from original.

Case number is not under the generator pedestal, but sideways up on the top edge, between the pedestal and the fuel pump.

Engine case number is U 0043695. Single relief.

Sump numbering:
000.100.101A on left half
000.100.102A on right half

No country of origin, but additional casting info reads "11" with VW logo.

I searched and found loads of info for case numbering on "delivered" vehicles, but I couldn't really find a "master" index of all case numbering and cast-in case numbering/lettering variations of ALL produced cases, spares and whatnot, through the decades. A sort of a master encyclopedia of engine cases would be cool.

Please redirect me if such is available.

Thanks!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID this case (single pressure relief) Reply with quote

Early to mid 1968 1600cc type 3 engine originally: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst3.php
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help ID this case (single pressure relief) Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Early to mid 1968 1600cc type 3 engine originally: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst3.php

Rock and roll, man, thanks! I never would've found that. Makes sense, it has the oil-fill block off, like a universal case. It's currently set up like a 1500 single port. I would've thought by '68 it'd have dual reliefs, but I'm not that up on the facts.

Sadly, for the heads and all, some PO put one of those angled-down aluminum shrouds on it, which eliminates the stock cooler location, and then put an aftermarket cooler right in front of the fan inlet. Then the remote oil filter just rests loosely on the left shelf, above the 3-4 bank.

I got me some work to do. I hope I can doghouse it, I have a couple extra shrouds hanging around (that's after I get the chrome cylinder tins off, along with the rest of the Chinese tin...it's a mess).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: