Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

You might find a set of tubing wrenches handy when working on fluid fittings. They look like box ends with a slot cut in the box. Harbor Freight has them so cheap I also bought the non-metric set.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Could not see a country of origin stamped on the rack but this is the sticker that was on the box that the rat came in.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Original German Technology. Imagine that!
Can anyone get the russian text translated? Maybe it says decals applied to item produced in China.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Original German Technology. Imagine that!
Can anyone get the russian text translated? Maybe it says decals applied to item produced in China.

lol
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

All I care about is the quality and China's certainly capable of producing top-quality. I'd like to see one up close.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
gvisconty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

gratefulbuses wrote:

Now on to researching how to remove and install my new PS rack! Anybody have any information, links, tips, videos, etc.?
Thanks!

I just did this last weekend. I bought a rebuilt rack from here

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1987/Volkswagen/Vanagon/Power_Steering_Rack/80-00538_R

Rebuilt with a 3 year warranty, it was identical to the one I pulled out (same part #).

It came with the tie rods. I disconnected the tie rod ends from the hubs, disconnected the fluid lines (which will be terribly messy no matter how careful you are, be prepared for that), loosened the coupler to the steering shaft (at the rack end), removed the 4 mounting bolts, then slid the rack out to the right. I had the van on jack stands and the suspension at full droop, and even then it was a frustrating puzzle to get it out (syncro, not sure if that matters) Once out, swap the tie rod ends onto the new rack (or use new ones if you're unsure, they are cheap). Pull the adaptors for the fluid lines from the old rack and put them onto the new rack, and then reverse the process to get it back together. Bleed the system like the Bently says to.

In retrospect;

- turn the wheels so that they are as perfectly straight forward as possible and secure the steering wheel in place so it can't move.
- count or measure the threads on the tie rod so that you make sure that the tie rod ends go back to the same position on the new rack as they were on the old rack
- it might be easier to remove the steering shaft between the rack and the coupler disk completely rather than try to wiggle the rack out and in with the shaft in place.
- it might be easier to pull the rack out to the left, maybe?
- center the new steering rack before installing it

I did measure the threads on my tie rod ends but I did not bother trying to keep the steering wheel in place nor did I center the new steering rack ahead of time. I had to reattach everything, find the center by turning the wheel lock to lock then 1/2 way back, then disconnect the steering shaft, center the steering wheel, then reconnect the steering shaft without disturbing the wheel nor the rack position. PITA and I think I got lucky.

My suspicion is the toe will be a little off no matter how perfect you are putting your tie rod ends back on, there must be enough variation between the old and new rack and tie rods. I recently had an alignment so I know it was spot on, but I haven't taken it back to get it checked again so I won't for sure until I do.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Could not see a country of origin stamped on the rack but this is the sticker that was on the box that the rat came in.

Not saying this is the same thing but here's the sticker from a new manual rack I purchased from CIP (and returned) several years ago.

I'm sure JP Group is a big company. Parts they sell could be made almost anywhere I guess.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

Not saying this is the same thing but here's the sticker from a new manual rack I purchased from CIP (and returned) several years ago.

I'm sure JP Group is a big company. Parts they sell could be made almost anywhere I guess.

Thanks, Neil! I think that "China" marking is what we were looking for...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

gvisconty wrote:
I recently had an alignment so I know it was spot on, but I haven't taken it back to get it checked again so I won't for sure until I do.

Dang. Shoulda measured the toe before taking it apart. Toe is easy to set. That would have been a very useful number for reassembly (and to know and to post!). Maybe someone else knows it for the Vanagon. I've always used 1/16" to 1/8" toe-in, on any car I've shade-tree aligned and it's always worked fine, drives fine, no funny tire wear. Set it at zero, then 3/16, and you'll see, 1/16-1/8 is the sweet spot.

My van was recently aligned (all four wheels, 2 months ago) by an alignment shop and it drives perfect. I'll measure the toe they set, and post.

Wondering if it's gonna be 1/16" to 1/8"? Wink Wink Wink

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

JP group is not known for producing the best stuff, but they do loads of parts!

When I swap out a ZF (VW) rack, if the tie rods are good, I unscrew at the rack.
If the new JP group racks have the exact same dimensions, you don't need to measure anything if you keep your old tie rods, adjust the steering wheel straight after a short drive around the block. Much easier than trying to align the splines under the van at the coupler Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
tech032
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Hey gang, does anyone have experience with these? Available from both CIP1 and Go Westy.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D251%2D422%2D061
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=24641

Darned expensive but my Maval rebuilt just kakked (again) and I don't want to keep putting seals in it. I think the seal land on the driver's side is pooched.

Is this new rack from Denmark or from China?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide for or against.

Anything Danske, is pretty much Chinese. I bought a non power rack from Van cafe, along with brake press regulator..all Chinese. Its all that is available for my van. Maval is Ok, the very best rebuilds are ZF if you can find one.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

ZF is the original maker. Depends on which company does the rebuild. I have a ZF rack in my Volvo from A1 Cardone. It took about 2 years (of very moderate driving) for it to leak as badly as the previous one.
HENDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

I installed one I got from Gowesty a couple of years ago. I just had to replace it a couple months ago.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

I'd rather rebuild it than put on some crap copies or cheap rebuilds. Original ones lasted 30 years, what the heck??

Buy good quality seal kits, if the rack is not pitted, it will last a very long time Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: