Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Country buggy transmission
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

Hi, anyone has any experience with the country buggy transmission?

I came into possession of a H case transmission.
It has large nut RGBs.

I have checked on thesamba for the owner's manual and only found the philippine version, but that didn't include the gear ratios in them.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

I don't know if the ratios are the same as a Bus large nut transmission but this dedicated transmission thread may help you
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658674
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

Hi Everett, I've checked through that thread.
The problem is the country buggy was produced after 67, while it used the large nut.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

Does this brochure help?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/68countrybuggy.php
Specifically
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

I did glance through the material, but totally missed out on that.
Thanks!

Guess some who advised were wrong in that not all the gears were the same as the H case buses ones.

The third gear is different.
Did VW ever had a fine tooth 0.82?

Or did they retain the 0.82 coarse tooth?

Wonder what's the 1.26 one. Question
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

That's a bummer, I was hoping it was the longer 1.22 so I could have a 'stock' gearing on my bus.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

Coming back to the country buggy transmission.
Anyone has any parts diagram?
The reduction boxes look distinctively different from a split bus reduction box.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

Someone sent me the diagram of the reduction boxes, but not the transmission.

He also quoted the transmission parts as having:

Gear Train (3rd Speed) - 113 311 275A
Gear Train (4th Speed) - 113 311 341

Which is contradictory to the sales brochure.

if search the p/n the third would be a 1.22 and forth would be a 0.89.
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

I came by a C/B front end and transmission complete many years ago.I have decided to overhaul the lot in readiness for a project.I have discovered that Holden Commodore front disc rotors fit straight onto the C/B spindles,so have had some adapters made to mount the Holden calipers.I have bought a full set of new bearings and seals to make it happen.I have located a double sided IRS gearbox with 4.12 diff and having that converted to swing axle and crown wheel turned over.I will do a disc brake conversion on the reduction boxes with the 5x120 stud pattern.This will give good highway speed with some big wheels on the back.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

nbturbo wrote:
I came by a C/B front end and transmission complete many years ago.I have decided to overhaul the lot in readiness for a project.I have discovered that Holden Commodore front disc rotors fit straight onto the C/B spindles,so have had some adapters made to mount the Holden calipers.I have bought a full set of new bearings and seals to make it happen.I have located a double sided IRS gearbox with 4.12 diff and having that converted to swing axle and crown wheel turned over.I will do a disc brake conversion on the reduction boxes with the 5x120 stud pattern.This will give good highway speed with some big wheels on the back.

Did you ever finish this gearbox mod? I’ve never heard of that before so curious to know how it worked for my own cars.

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

bally wrote:
nbturbo wrote:

Did you ever finish this gearbox mod? I’ve never heard of that before so curious to know how it worked for my own cars.

Cheers. Dave

I had the transmission fully rebuilt using the later IRS box.The IRS box had a 3.88 final drive,but there was some reason why it couldn't be used.It is too long ago for me to remember.The specs listed in the brochure for 4th gear were not what was in my CB transmission,but again I do not remember what it was.I sent an early 40 horsepower transmission to the builder to get the course tooth 0.82 4th gear set to fit.The process that occurred with this job didn't go well.The guy building i, had it in his workshop for at least 3 years before he started the job.He contracted cancer early on and I didn't put any pressure on him because I had started my Beetle Ute project-so wouldn't need the trans for at least 4 years.When started,he took another couple of years during his chemo and drug therapy.This was one of his last jobs before he passed away.I had known him for about 50 years in the VW scene here and was a good friend and VW enthusiast.I still haven't finished my Ute project and am in 2 minds what to do with the CB transmission.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

Thanks for your detailed response. Sorry to hear about your friend passing. Good luck with the Ute. Time to get back on it? Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Country buggy transmission Reply with quote

In my small cabinet of treasures I do have a County Buggy parts manual.

Is there something specific I can help with?

I always wanted a Country Buggy but stopped with the small fortune in the manual. One can hope.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: