Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1952 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Did your bus not come equipped with the upper corner supports in the rear? I heard of some early deluxes without them. But most I've seen do. Trying to figure out the quirks to these early ones. Bus is looking great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Did your bus not come equipped with the upper corner supports in the rear? I heard of some early deluxes without them. But most I've seen do. Trying to figure out the quirks to these early ones. Bus is looking great!

Thanks. Not my bus but a customers. I'm not sure what you mean by corner supports. Are you talking about the pieces in the picture below. I've never really known what to call them but Everett is calling them speaker brackets in his description... If that's it, No, this bus doesn't have them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the upper inside corner...

The front floor is all there but pretty rough. It had a bunch of those screwdriver-punched holes which distorted areas and then some pretty heavy pitting. This is another area I started on years ago, welding up the holes, straightening it out and lightly body working it. Since it had been a while I had the blaster strip it again while it was there. The center section was the worst, and I ended up grabbing that piece from Gerson at OCTO and replacing a section of it. It really helped straighten to the floor, then spent a little more time straightening out the other pieces and filling the pitting.

DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

I noticed the door gaps just slightly changed while on the dolly, so I reinstalled the front and rear axles before finishing the welding.

The nose is welded back on, body-worked and primed...

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Are the four holes in the corner where the speaker bracket was welded?

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

The earliest deluxe we have confirmed as having the speaker pods fitted is a Sept 52.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344969

This bus is a Feb 52, I think.

From memory the speaker pods on my 55 are each spotwelded around 10-20 times along that inner gutter tray area. The pods are fitted inside that gutter tray edge. Removal is arduous.

Maybe the early pods (meaning pre-52/deep skylight) used much fewer spotwelds. They could even have been fitted on the 'outside' of that gutter tray edge, making removal much easier.

The 4 holes in the above picture are in exactly the right place to be drilled pod spotwelds. And talking generally, the factory gutter tray doesnt have any holes in it elsewhere.

So, either the really early deluxes didnt have them fitted...or they have been removed. Not much help, am I Smile
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
The earliest deluxe we have confirmed as having the speaker pods fitted is a Sept 52.

Mine is very late june 52 (29559, left factory early july) and he has the pods.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Do you have a picture?
Fitted inside or outside the gutter tray?
How many spotwelds?

My money would be on the pods being fitted to all deluxes from the start.
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Mines are the smooth version fitted inside the gutter with 4 screws on the approx. same locations of the holes of the previous picture posted here. No weldings !
Maybe the first ones were installed that way on order ?

Also mines have 4 holes to hold the speaker, against 3 holes on all the other pictures posted before.
They have been in used, there is still the speaker cables going through the small folding tab.
Hellberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

amazing! Very Happy
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't think those holes were related to the speaker brackets but sounds like it's possible if they were just screwed in. This bus had so many holes drilled in it I just figured they were more of the same. I looked at my '54 deluxe and like RS mentioned, there's a lot of spot welds. Other than the four holes, there's no other sign of spot welds or remnants of them on the backside. Anyone have pictures of the '52 style ones?
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Hellberg wrote:
amazing! Very Happy

Thanks, I thought the repair of your truck was amazing.
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
Anyone have pictures of the '52 style ones?

This is my june 52 with the screwed pods.

It's a little dark but i think you can see the screws anyway
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Good stuff. Good proof. They look like engine tinware screws. You'd imagine the speaker pod would have 4 weldnuts attached.
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Yep. I have the same bolt on type on my June 52.
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture Florian. Looks likely that's what was on this bus. The holes are large so something like a 6mm screw would make sense. I guess I won't weld those up for now.
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Right cargo floor section is welded in...

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Incredible work, I just went through the thread for the first time.
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Incredible work, I just went through the thread for the first time.

Thanks!!

I installed a new heater tube insulation and finished welding in the cargo floor. Sprayed epoxy primer and some filler primer, but kept the filler primer off the areas where I still need to weld in the seat brackets and plates. I'll weld those in and go over it once more...

flat59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Damm!! Very Happy
Nice job dude
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: