Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd piston size on 1300 engine
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatirossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Odd piston size on 1300 engine Reply with quote

Busy tearing down my trike motor due to low compression, poor economy and puffs of smoke from the exhaust. The plan was to do a decoke, replace any suspect valves and replace the piston rings.

Problem is that my engine appears to be a bitsa! The code is for a 1300 (1974/75), but the pistons are 86.4mm dia. Stamped on the top of the piston is SP0 04 at one side and 86.4 x 16L at the other. Inside the piston is marked 1275, 43x16 and 85114 1. I suppose this has been converted to a 16xx at some point.

Has anyone come across these pistons before and if so could you please point me to where I could buy some replacement rings.

Cheers
Ian
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd piston size on 1300 engine Reply with quote

Found this bit of information from the SA forums:

Std beetle 1600 piston 85.46 barrel size 85.5mm
first oversize 85.96 (20 thou or 0.5mm) Barrel size 86mm
second oversize 86.46 (40 thou or 1.0mm) Barrel size 86.5mm
Third oversize 86.96 (60 thou or 1.5mm) Barrel size 87mm

Check aircooled.net , they seem to have 85.5 with 1mm oversize.
More importantly, check the thickness of each ring.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/DEVES-Piston-Rings-85-5mm-Bore-2mm-2mm-5mm-p/deves-85.5-2-2-5.htm
fatirossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Odd piston size on 1300 engine Reply with quote

Cheers for that information.
This was my initial thought, but could not find any oversize rings sold by UK retailers. Looks like they are quite expensive too! By the time I add shipping to the UK I'm just as well buying a new standard piston/barrel/rings set from over here. It is obviously cheaper these days to buy new replacements rather than re-bore your old barrels and fit bigger pistons.

Thanks
Ian
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Odd piston size on 1300 engine Reply with quote

Probably swap the heads as well to fit larger P&C instead of boring them.
Good old used 1300 heads are getting fewer.
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd piston size on 1300 engine Reply with quote

I've got a 1300 long block that came as a spare to the '77 I just bought.
Maybe there is value in this thing yet...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: