Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing studs from drums
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

So, yeah.

I have these type 3 drums that i want to install on my bus. The problem is that they have studs, and the studs lack tread to install stock rims (about last 3/4 inch is treadless).

So i'd like to remove them. Problem is, i have no clue how, or if its even possible.

My research so far have been... fruitless. Some people seems to use puller, like those used to remove door hinge... Are those studs screwed there or tapped? There's no tread to save when removing them?

here's a picture of the stud ;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

Take a closer look at those splines.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Take a closer look at those splines.

Jacks right- that drum ia scrap- but back to your question- they look like you can BFH them from the thread end like an american drum.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

i think i need enlightment!

why is it scrap?

and... BFH?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

the splines are worn out to the point of them being almost completely stripped, probably caused by the axle nut being run loose for a long time.
that drum is junk.

BFH = BIG FAWKIN' HAMMER

personally, i would press them out on a shop press.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

Even if that drum had usable splines I would wonder how it was butchered to accept pressed in studs. Did the just blast the studs into the threaded hole? And if so how F'd are the threads? Did they drill the threads out for a proper clearance hole? Meaning you will need to press studs back in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

You could run a spacer between drum and rim.. Or take them to a machine shop and have smaller (length) studs pushed in. If they were done the right way like Toolbox mentioned.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spacer example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

don't you need a spacer to run stock wheels anyway? otherwise the wheel hits the springplate?
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Removing studs from drums Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
don't you need a spacer to run stock wheels anyway? otherwise the wheel hits the springplate?

Yes, my tires rubbed on the springplate cast housing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: