Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

left side dash grill insert for tach?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

wanting to install a tach on my 67 and want to locate it to the left of the speedo (speaker location) I have seen pic's on this forum of grill plates that have a hole in them but still retain the grill appearance, really don't want to cut mine and I don't like the brushed alum or plastic ones.
Any help locating them would be great.
Thanks
Adam
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

This is mine but when I did it I had access to a welder, I picked up a grill and the metal mesh at a swap meet, cut the hole using wire cutters. I took a 1/8 inch SS welding rod and bent it around my tach. than I bent another one around the outside of it. I had a friend weld them together and to the grill, basically melt the grill to the circle using a tig welder. I used body filler around the circle and filed it down with small round files. Then I picked up paint at a store that they can color match. It certainly was not cheap, but worth it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dr.Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

this guy has one and I want one!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Seems like you have to make them.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Maybe you can use one of these . . . https://grumpysmetal.com/bug/bug-1961-63/gauge-bezel-single-3-385-hole-lhd-57.html

Hang in there Dr.Adam . . . it will sometimes seem as though you get the wrong information around here, but I assure you that there a few folks on The Samba that are able to answer yer questions!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Well, there you go! I had no choice my tach is 90 mm. I think that's why it was so cheap.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

There are a few smart people around here, but some not to bright.

Last edited by pwmcguire on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr.Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

be nice now guys!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Dr.Adam wrote:

this guy has one and I want one!

That actually looks original.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveOBrien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Yes Grumpys. Good to see he still makes them.
My Tach is 52 mm but not to hard to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

I did it cheap and easy, bought a color matched spare grill with crome trim (didn't want to cut in the existing grill). Used a "dremel" to cut a hole for tach and grind the trim to fit the vdo bezel. Works fine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

@ Frederik - where did you get that Tach?

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
I did it cheap and easy, bought a color matched spare grill with crome trim (didn't want to cut in the existing grill). Used a "dremel" to cut a hole for tach and grind the trim to fit the vdo bezel. Works fine.

I did similar for my later model:

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Adam, you'll see when you remove the grill from the trunk that there is a horizontal metal bar going right across the dash opening. You'll need to cut that out so that the tach fits there.

For the tachs that are 52-55mm, in 2001 I saw a vendor of these dash grills in Germany (Maikaefer Treffen in Hanover) use a thick Type 1 engine flywheel endplay shim as the metal surround. The shim has an ID of 55mm. You could silver-solder such a shim onto the round-cut opening, then spray paint the grill to match the dash. Was a clever idea.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

doc73 wrote:
@ Frederik - where did you get that Tach?

I bought it on a auction site here in Sweden. They do come up from time to time. At first I thought of using one of the following, but liked the more vintage look of the one I installed.

Now I'm trying to get a set of matched VDO "small gauges". I'm still missing oil pressure and volt. I'm thinking of converting the tank meter to a pressure meter (new guts) or get a later vw fuel level gauge and grill and convert it to oil pressure. Some of the collected gauges:
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

I cut my grill as well. I am planning on modifying the trim, but have not got around to it yet.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

I really like the gauges in radio slot. The trim, is it a modified radio faceplate, assesory or self made? I have to consider dumping my blaupunkt..
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

The radio gauge pod is made by fast fab. I did the same as others and cut my speaker grill. The only issue I have is that when its hot out the gauge with squeak in the grill opening.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

Just to throw out another option, Speedhut makes a drop in GPS speedo/tach combo if you don't want to cut your dash to put a tach in the speaker location.

boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: left side dash grill insert for tach? Reply with quote

ISP West carries nice gauges. I bought one of their 52mm ones to match the original speedo in my '59. I'll mate it to a left side grill from Grumpy's Metals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: