Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN confusion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Well you would think that, but close inspection of that pic brings up more questions.....
Although the color is a deluxe or stationwagon one the lack of armrest mounts and mount for the Westfalia seat welded to the floor contradicts that. Too bad the seat belt is in the way or we could see if it has rear heater outlets, I also can't quite see enough of the bulkhead to spot a fresh air vent hole.
Quite the puzzle you have there, more pics please.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

jlarmen wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
I'm not saying it's stolen, just suspicious looking, I'm curious what the number beside the battery looks like from above and below. Some more pics of the cab and interior would help clear it up, pulling a spring plate cap off the rear torsion housing and seeing what color is under it would be even more decisive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An interior shot. The base color under the bondo, primer, white coat matches the delta green specced.

Brackets are in place for middle seat, showing signs of a 7-passenger Transporter.
Whatcha link BusDaddy? Tcash? What green is that?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Some early Westfalias have the brackets so that's not definitive, seat belt hole plugs in place say camper from here, and no middle seat delete listed on the M plate, hmmm....

Does the bus have belly pans?, just the 2 on the outside between the frame and rockers?, or middle between the frame too?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Pic of the top. Don't have other interior shots with me.

Possible a sunroof model with a camper thrown on top?
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Some early Westfalias have the brackets so that's not definitive, seat belt hole plugs in place say camper from here, and no middle seat delete listed on the M plate, hmmm....

Does the bus have belly pans?, just the 2 on the outside between the frame and rockers?, or middle between the frame too?
Don't think it has a middle one, I recall seeing some rust on the crossmember and noting there was easy access.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm curious what the number beside the battery looks like from above and below.

Popcorn
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

No worries. We're here to help.
From above and below.
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
No worries. We're here to help.
From above and below.

LOL. I'm not worried, I'm from Texas. Either way, this 'thing' is getting put back together. No comment on the top? You have a pic of where exactly the engine bay # would be?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Looks like Delta green with a White roof. What would have covered that green square on the roof?

1970 DELTA GREEN DELUXE
https://theshutterbus.pixieset.com/ogpaint1970deltagreendeluxe-runsdrivesoriginal/
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Not the engine number. The Chassis number stamped on the body to the right of the engine in front of the air cleaner.
Middle picture.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Sure looks like a real Westfalia, but the green is odd, unless it's a Velvet green 68, any pics of the dash, front door handles and engine compartment?

The square on the roof is where the cot was mounted.

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

As mentioned I don't see anything regarding anchors for Westfalia cabinetry.
The roof section looks very stock, and I agree the seat belt plugs, that area looks like a camper.
Did not know they welded seat mounts on early campers, neat stuff.
Was Velvet Green an option in 69? (M-Plate says 69 model)

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sure looks like a real Westfalia, but the green is odd, unless it's a Velvet green 68, any pics of the dash, front door handles and engine compartment?

The square on the roof is where the cot was mounted.

Found two more pics.

The rear deck looks replaced and theres some fiberglass in that area as I recall. I don't have any door closeups but you can zoom the overall pic. *engine pic is a still from a vid of it running before someone points it out.*
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

All I can say is that this is very interesting...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

No drains or nuts in the sunroof opening, that's a Westfalia roof. Looking at the pics on page 1 again I see 68 only door handles and that sure looks like 68 only Velvet green.
Yet the VIN and M plates say 69 deluxe with no sunroof, I suspect it had some title issues magically solved with a pop riveter and a convenient "near match" sounding title.

Слава Україні!
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
No drains or nuts in the sunroof opening, that's a Westfalia roof. Looking at the pics on page 1 again I see 68 only door handles and that sure looks like 68 only Velvet green.
Yet the VIN and M plates say 69 deluxe with no sunroof, I suspect it had some title issues magically solved with a pop riveter and a convenient "near match" sounding title.

According to this, the Velvet Green was available in '69 as well: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
[/quote]
Quote:
Velvet green 64-70 38 L512 43319

Quote:

August 1968 up to July 1970
From Ch. N. 219 000 001 to 210 2300 000
Paint L 50 K (47) Neptune blue
L 282 (42) lotus white
L 345 (41) light grey
L 512 (3Cool velvet green
L 567 (46) ivory

Upholstery 51 dark beige 69 51 dark beige 69 51 dark beige 69 51 dark beige 69 45 medium grey 68
Load compartment interior: L 275 light beige, Mod. 271, 274: L 567 ivory
Wheel disc, rim: L 581 cloud white; Hub cap: L 70 X grey silver; Bumpers: L 581 cloud white, Mod. 271, 274: L 567 ivory
Steering column tube, gearshift and hand brake lever: L 41 black; Seat frame: LD 43 grey black

Thanks for the help and info. She's an ugly beast at the moment so whatever Frankenstein it turns out to be, it's going to be what it is. There's a trove of shells in the area it came from, so the body swap is a possibility.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

jlarmen wrote:
According to this, the Velvet Green was available in '69 as well: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Read that chart carefully, the upper 1/2 is commercial vehicles (panelvans, trucks and Kombi's), the lower 1/2 is standard and deluxe microbus.
Velvet green is listed after 68, but I haven't ever seen a North American delivered bus in VG after 68. Delta green is listed in the 69 microbus chart but is much darker than VG.

Either way it seems a 68 camper got the VIN from a 69 microbus, if you can get it licensed without a hassle then enjoy your camper for what it is, but consider the complications if you ever go to sell it.

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

One more thing.
busdaddy wrote: I'm curious what the number beside the battery looks like from above and below.

The chassis number stamped in the engine compartment.
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
One more thing.
busdaddy wrote: I'm curious what the number beside the battery looks like from above and below.

The chassis number stamped in the engine compartment.

Asked my son to look, said he couldn't see a number, but it's all fiberglass in there. I'll follow up Monday with the yard and see what they know. It's from a border town and there are a few graveyards of rusted out bugs and frames. But thanks for reposting that Tcash, saved me from scrolling up, you're quite the help.
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

It looks like a '68 Westfalia Campmobile. Door handles ; pop top. I see one bracket in the floor for the bed....?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: