Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this thread copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686225&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ[/url]

Thanks to all that posted information!

1972-Only Turn Signal Switch 211 953 513 J
SWF number: HLS 69 SAE QB 71.
7 wires
This switch was used with the introduction of the separate turn signal bulb on 1972 models.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turn signals Headlight Wiring highlight
Click on pic or Right click and open link in a new tab

Prior to 1972. This switch was used for 1970-71 Export markets with M-code 24.
M24 = Sealed beam head lamps side flashing indicators and back up lamps.

Last edited by Tcash on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

Disassembled 211 953 513 J

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

Do anyone have this for sale?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

I found one used once, but strangley was a 5 wire

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

The 5 wire is the standard equipment on North American delivered buses, the 7 wire version is for markets that included the Euro parking light system. Unless there's still a law where you live that you must have a light on while parked in some places the 5 wire is all you need for turn signals.

Wasn't someone 3D printing a replacement plastic part for these now?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Do anyone have this for sale?

so, where are you? BD is correct, this switch can be rebuilt
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

I'm trying to repair a part of my '72 switch. There is an area I can't quite see on the the photos in this thread and that's the area I need to copy.

The cream plastic below is the '72 switch I am repairing. The black plastic is a '73 switch. I am attempting to build the central little rectangular plinth but I need to know if it is the same as the '73 or different entirely. Does anyone have a photo of the '72 part?

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

'72-'74 should be the same inside but '72 has only 5 wires, and it's a one year only part...IIRC the stalk is a slightly smaller diameter.

I don't have a good photo of my old part - a while back I rebuilt my OEM '72 switch using 3D printed parts, it broke soon after, so I rebuilt it again, and it's sitting with my parts stash until I feel like swapping it back out again.

Take a look here for more info and see if it helps get your answer: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

Wow that post has astonished me. I also designed and 3D printed the main horizontal part a couple of years ago. I had no idea somebody else had already done it!

I never installed the part because I figured that the layered nature of 3D printing would cause the hooks to snap off easily so I found an original to put back in. I wonder how he prints his parts to avoid this from happening..

Anyway - mine is the 5mm stalk. I can see from his design the adjustment I need to make. However, I don't believe I have the 4.5mm ball bearing installed and I have also glued the stalk in place. Do you know if there's a problem in having the stalk solidly glued in position instead of pivoting slightly? Also, any idea why was the ball bearing installed originally?

Thanks!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

Would someone send me the design for the plastic piece? I can look at having it manufacturer from solid material.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

Ben Middleton wrote:
Wow that post has astonished me. I also designed and 3D printed the main horizontal part a couple of years ago. I had no idea somebody else had already done it!

I never installed the part because I figured that the layered nature of 3D printing would cause the hooks to snap off easily so I found an original to put back in. I wonder how he prints his parts to avoid this from happening..

Anyway - mine is the 5mm stalk. I can see from his design the adjustment I need to make. However, I don't believe I have the 4.5mm ball bearing installed and I have also glued the stalk in place. Do you know if there's a problem in having the stalk solidly glued in position instead of pivoting slightly? Also, any idea why was the ball bearing installed originally?

Thanks!

@Ben, I've ordered both parts and Nils (note, he is in Australia) has Shapeways as a broker to print the part in nylon, and PA12 nylon option for the stalk body part. It's a pretty solid and nicely printed part, I think I broke my first one inadvertently when putting the switch back together. It's a professionally printed piece, not a home 3D printed part like what comes off my Creality.

Hm, I don't think gluing the stalk in place is a big deal - the 4.5mm bearing, spring and retainer pin simply hold the stalk in the body...I initially thought it would have something to do with the movement action of the high/low beam, but no. What I could tell that bearing and spring does is puts some tension on the stalk so that it holds firmly in the shaft of the main body. Over engineered? Yep. Maybe it was a part used across the brand and was modified for the Kombi? Dunno.

If you've used glue to hold the stalk in, I don't see how that's any different, other than it's not removeable after the glue dries.

heimlich wrote:
Would someone send me the design for the plastic piece? I can look at having it manufacturer from solid material.

@heimlich Unless someone else modeled the parts, Nils would be the only one with the STL file, so you should reach out to him directly. He's done a lot of work to digitally reproduce and reverse engineer the parts and setup an avenue to have them professionally printed, so he may not give that up. Worth a shot to ask though!

Are you talking solid material like steel or aluminum? That would work for the hammer and indicator parts, but the main body needs to be made of some type of plastic because the little arms do need to flex slightly for the cancellation to function.

Anything that can be done to make parts last longer and perform better, I'm sure we're all interested in!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

I saw you say that you installed it and it broke so I thought maybe I could be of help. If there is someone producing them already with good quality then you don't need me.

mikewire wrote:

heimlich wrote:

@heimlich Unless someone else modeled the parts, Nils would be the only one with the STL file, so you should reach out to him directly. He's done a lot of work to digitally reproduce and reverse engineer the parts and setup an avenue to have them professionally printed, so he may not give that up. Worth a shot to ask though!

Are you talking solid material like steel or aluminum? That would work for the hammer and indicator parts, but the main body needs to be made of some type of plastic because the little arms do need to flex slightly for the cancellation to function.

Anything that can be done to make parts last longer and perform better, I'm sure we're all interested in!

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I saw you say that you installed it and it broke so I thought maybe I could be of help. If there is someone producing them already with good quality then you don't need me.

Appreciate that!! If I had about 2-3 more hands and less thumbs I probably wouldn't have broken it lol.

I'm hoping this next one will last longer, I was more careful working with it and I had a bit more knowledge from the first time. Still need to install it in my Bus, but I'll give some feedback for sure and see if there needs to be a better solution developed.

If anyone else has similar experience and you're reading this, please post your experience and feedback!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure the plastic is also an insulator, if it was metal you'd get smoke.

Maybe some sort of glass reinforced resin instead?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm fairly sure the plastic is also an insulator, if it was metal you'd get smoke.

Maybe some sort of glass reinforced resin instead?

Good point, yep.

The aftermarket turn switch I have installed now has enough metal parts in it that when the cancellation ring hits the hammer, the horn sounds Rolling Eyes

So I just pulled the cancellation ring and manually cancel after the turn. It works, but meh...

The OEM switch with the replacement nylon plastic parts worked great! Until it didn't.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

so CIP has the 5 wire 211 953 513 J version. Is this something that doesn't work?

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-953-513-j/?utm_source=geotargetly_from_ca&utm_medium=referral
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
so CIP has the 5 wire 211 953 513 J version. Is this something that doesn't work?

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-953-513-j/?utm_source=geotargetly_from_ca&utm_medium=referral

someone want to explain why that wont work for the 5 wire late 73, all 73, early 74?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

It would seem to me that if a later year switch would physically fit and operate properly, that any extra wires could be insulated and ignored. All you need it three turn signal wires and two high beam switch wires...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Mainly because it's $225 (on sale!) and it's probably aftermarket junk. Aside from the high price, has anyone bought one and verified it's not overseas junk? I'm interested.

Or buy this for $150 and make the modifications to fit a '72 - this is the one I have, but I bought it probably a decade ago: https://www.busdepot.com/211953513g

alman72 wrote:
someone want to explain why that wont work for the 5 wire late 73, all 73, early 74?

telford dorr wrote:
It would seem to me that if a later year switch would physically fit and operate properly, that the extra wire could be insulated and ignored. All you need it three turn signal wires and two high beam switch wires...

Yep you Gents are correct...the 7 wire works just fine adapted to the 5 wire. In fact that's how I have mine currently wired.

I think for all intents and purposes of the information inside this thread, the replacement parts are for those who want to rehab an OEM switch, not simply replace with an aftermarket of lesser quality.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Switch 7 wire T2 1972-Only 211 953 513 J FAQ Reply with quote

so it isn't that you can't find one but rather you don't like the price when you do find one. Ok, I get it, Not flaming you but these are 50 year old cars, and the parts were expensive when they were new. Using your hands is even cheaper. Why not just do that and save both the time and money?

see, I have a feeling that if someone stepped forward with a brand new one in a box for $600 you would say, but I can buy one from CIP for $225.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: