Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Been neglecting the Ghia recently so I took it out for a wash and cruise.
After the wash I was filling it up when a youngster of about 8 or 9 walked up to me and asked if he could take a few pics of the Ghia. He was with his mother and just pulled up to the pump beside me. I said why of course be my guest. He asked what it was and I told him it was a 1972 Karmann Ghia made by VW. He said "oh a German car" and I laughed and said yes. He then said he liked Porsches but Austin Healy's were his favorites. He got his Mom to take a few pics of him standing beside it. I asked if he knew where the engine was and he pointed to the front trunk. I laughed and showed him the engine in the rear. He then started pointing out the generator, air cleaner and carb to his Mom, like he was an authority on it.
So after a few pics he thanked me as did his Mom then told me ?nice car".
Now my Ghia is in need of some major paint and body work but apparantly it was OK for this young fellow.
I believe he'll be owning some classics one day. LOL.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

^^^Thats a lot of car knowledge for an 8 or 9 year old!
I'll let a few pics describe my weekend, it was 100*+.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had adjusted the clutch about 100 miles ago and it was feeling the same as pre adjustment. Engaging too close to firewall. I confirmed that front and rear welds were in good shape when I did my restoration years back. The only way to get to the middle is to cut a hole. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I'll let a few pics describe my weekend, it was 100*+.

I had adjusted the clutch about 100 miles ago and it was feeling the same as pre adjustment. Engaging too close to firewall. I confirmed that front and rear welds were in good shape when I did my restoration years back. The only way to get to the middle is to cut a hole. :cry:

Dirty work, Darrel, but someone has to do it. There's nothing as sweet as a clutch that engages gears smoothly.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

A Clutch Cable Tube repair was something I had not been planning on doing this week.......
Thanks to the others that tackled this same problem and posted their results I was able to accomplish the repair without welding. I fashioned a bracket and secured the tube. I also discovered an ancient rodent civilization!!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

I had adjusted the clutch about 100 miles ago and it was feeling the same as pre adjustment. Engaging too close to firewall. I confirmed that front and rear welds were in good shape when I did my restoration years back. The only way to get to the middle is to cut a hole. Crying or Very sad

I feel for you!!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel for you!!

And me for you King!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Just successfully rebuilt a Varga caliper. After removing and cleaning the Pistons, reassembly was rather straight forward. Ordered another kit... Brakes nearly complete. Wish I had the reservoir at the master cylinder, I'm ready for paint, but funds are non-existent. Slowly but surely getting this Ghia restored.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I gave it a wash...(as if it needed one Laughing).
Then I got the camera out.

I like how water looks when it beads up on freshly waxed paint. I also like the curves Ghia's have.
Nicholas
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

That wide-angle lens has a good depth of field Nick...shows off the gorgeous curves of the Ghia. Very Happy

Can't think of a better car to use it on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Chris, looks like you have raised the deck Lid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
Chris, looks like you have raised the deck Lid?
Chris?
Good catch, Alan. The decklid is unlached in the photo making the gap wider than normal . But.... the rubber is thicker than it should be and I haven't replaced it with a better one ....yet.
Nicholas
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Lance Gregory donated a parachute lever and cable to me after he finished his promod build a few years ago..... I've been having issues with the cable and release for the hood on the Ghia.... Then I got this wild hair and now I've got a bullet proof release......

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Installed Dynamat on the floor pans and tunnel. Only cut myself 4 times... And sweated my arse off. 100+ degrees outside, kept the garage door closed since the garage is insulated. It was still HOT!

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Got the rest of my rims and tires. Getting them mounted and balanced tomorrow morning. In the meantime, hand painting the center caps.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Installed Dynamat on the floor pans and tunnel. Only cut myself 4 times... And sweated my arse off. 100+ degrees outside, kept the garage door closed since the garage is insulated. It was still HOT!

Are you painting your car on the pans or off ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

On the pans. They were in great shape, just a couple divets to punch out. Used undercoating on top, will get the underneath side eventually... Probably before paint.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

On all 4's again!

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Having shelled-out a couple of hundred $ for the quality CuLayer LEDs for my running/brake lights a couple of weeks ago I thought I try the single LEDs for my indicators/turn signals.

I bought these from the UK supplier and it worked out at around 20 GBP for the two: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Link

These single LEDs are pretty much generic and are available from plenty of suppliers worldwide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Having shelled-out a couple of hundred $ for the quality CuLayer LEDs for my running/brake lights a couple of weeks ago I thought I try the single LEDs for my indicators/turn signals.

I bought these from the UK supplier and it worked out at around 20 GBP for the two: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Link

These single LEDs are pretty much generic and are available from plenty of suppliers worldwide.

Hi John, they look brilliant Smile Ive been following a few people in the oval forums who have used a blinking led in their semaphores and run into problems when using their headlights and semaphores at the same time. Just wondering if you have had chance to run all the lights at once? if so any issues? cheers... Anthony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I see you also keep a plastic tub under the engine of your car, John. Catching oil spill? Do all VW aircooled engines leak oil? Do they have to?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 118 of 166

Jump to: