Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior OG paint, remove or paint over?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

This question is in reference to a 1970 Convertible Karmann Ghia. I will be stripping the car down to bare metal but there are areas that are hard to reach without dipping the entire vehicle. In these areas, where there is OG paint-over-rustproofing, is it advisable to take it down to metal or is it safe to scuff and prep the area and cover with insert recommended product here.

The areas I am referring to are the inner rear fender wells, the area/cavity between the door and rear wheel wells, and other similar areas. I have spent a few hours searching the site but have not found an answer.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with it, stripping paint in an area just to reapply it sounds redundant.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

Will anyone see it?
Does it really matter?
Is this some type of show car you plan on selling for an absurd amount of money?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

as long as the OG paint is in good shape and no rust is lurking there really is no need to take it back to bare steel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

in saying that I did get a little carried away with mine, no need to paint the inside of most doors etc... but an't it pretty!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses so far. I realize it is redundant to remove paint only to reapply it. In all honesty I am hoping that the OG paint can be left alone and simply prepped and sprayed over.

What I would like to hear are more opinions based on experience.
- In your experience, is the OG paint of sufficient quality and adhesion that it can be sanded/prepped and painted over?
- Have you found the hard to reach areas to have hidden rust that needs addressing?

I am not looking to do unnecessary work but I want to finish the car in a way that will ensure longevity and a (as much as possible) rust proof state.

Thanks,
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

Good thinking, don't waste time doing things twice when not 100% necc.
As you sand off your paint on exterior parts (doors, decklid, hood) you will come across places with still decent paint...there will be tiny rust spots that go down to metal. Those need to get down to bare clean metal. When you move to interior areas those tiny rust spots wont be there.
When I did the interior of my ghia I did not go to bare metal 100% everywhere and I still spent too much effort where it wasn't needed. You need to be your own judge where it needs to get to bare metal and where good og paint just needs to be scuffed.
Inner fender wells I did go down to bare metal. Yours depends on the condition and if it is original paint. If its not, how good was previous painters prep? I don't typically trust the previous guy Crying or Very sad
Every area needs to be prepped one way or another. Here is a pic where I did more paint removal than necc and could have saved a couple hours.

But it came out ok.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

What makes you say there is rust proofing under the OG paint ? I have a 70 convertible which looked in great shape, while isn't a rust bucket there is rust in places I wouldn't think there would be rust.

You have a sand blaster, I take it down to bare metal. We don't have west coast cars.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
as long as the OG paint is in good shape and no rust is lurking there really is no need to take it back to bare steel.

in saying that I did get a little carried away with mine, no need to paint the inside of most doors etc... but an't it pretty!

Just my opinion but, since yours looks so good and there is a sort of minimalist movement...

I'd leave as much of the painted steel showing on the interior of your car as I could. Get some carpet to just cover the center of the pans and leave it.

Again, just my opinion...

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

We just repaired & resprayed the exterior diamond blue & saved the OG interior paint on my '69 square.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
What makes you say there is rust proofing under the OG paint ?

Given the scope of the Door Sound Deadening thread over in the Ghia forum, I have to revise my assumption and now realize it is sound deadener that I am calling rust proofing. I started looking into the fender well from inside the engine compartment using my bore scope camera and found that I have at least surface rust where the sound deadener has worn away.

If anyone has blasted in this tricky area, could you provide some tips on how I can approach the task? I have considered having the car dipped but that would leave the entire car unprotected because I have not found anyone offering an epoxy primer dip (or any other rust preventive treatment.) I imagine that after dipping, phosphoric acid followed by MasterSeries is an option but given my limited experience I am open to suggestions.

Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

In case you just want to spray Ospho (phosphoric acid into some area you can only see with a bore scope, you might want to make one of these;

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior OG paint, remove or paint over? Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am resurrecting my own thread with new questions.
The prevailing wind appears to blow in favor of "if the OG paint is sound, AND there is no rust, leave the OG paint in place.

- After properly prepping the OG paint, will epoxy primer offer any benefit? I intend to paint the entire interior in white so I can see better when I have to work in the cars nether regions. I will also be painting the pan and suspension in white or light grey for the same reason.

- If epoxy is overkill for the interior, what would be the recommended type of primer to use, if any is needed?

- I have sand blasted the entire chassis and treated it with Eastwood After Blast. I will be coating it with MasterSeries silver and AG-111 grey or white in the fall or winter once the humidity drops. I am thinking of also using MasterSeries silver and AG-111 in the lower third of the interior. Will the MS work well over prepped paint. The MS website says it will but I would like to hear first hand accounts.

Thanks,
Emil

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: