Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN confusion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Get that VIN squared away before investing time/cash in case you have a 'problem'
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Get that VIN squared away before investing time/cash in case you have a 'problem'

Solved. Dealer retitle/reassign from salvage. The wife did the paperwork and didn't ask questions. Not what I was hoping for because obviously kills resale value in future. The only salvageable # was the first three 238..., which makes sense. After I let the dealer have it, they offered parts from the salvage, so that will defray some costs and I'm going to keep looking for an investment bus, maybe use this as a donor. I already found another possible restore...just time and money.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Damn, I knew something along the lines of that were in order, someone got slick, and did so with two very compatible buses, but luckily were all smarter than the average bear...well most of us. Laughing

Sorry for the unforeseen runaround, keep an eye out for a more solid, correct bus, and well do something with that salvaged bus. I mean hell, it is Texas!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

jlarmen wrote:

Solved. Dealer retitle/reassign from salvage.

This wasn't a reassign, this was a VIN swapped vehicle, VERY illegal, if the DMV was notified, that dealer could be in for some serious shit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
jlarmen wrote:

This wasn't a reassign, this was a VIN swapped vehicle, VERY illegal, if the DMV was notified, that dealer could be in for some serious shit.
No, they won't do shit here. You're thinking normal situations, this is S Texas and operates under different rules. I have two choices, donor or reapply for a vin which f's the resale. I found a '68 non-camper no running. Getting the #s checked this week.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

jlarmen wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
jlarmen wrote:

No, they won't do shit here. You're thinking normal situations, this is S Texas and operates under different rules. I have two choices, donor or reapply for a vin which f's the resale. I found a '68 non-camper no running. Getting the #s checked this week.

I would think a legit VIN (even if it's a state issued one) would improve the resale compared to a sketchy one from something else. Better to have the paperwork 100% in order with the law when selling out of state or offshore.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

There is a small subset of fearful people who devalue a salvage title - a much larger and majority market who will buy a retitled vehicle at/near FMV - certainly not enough to kill the value.

I value a problem title that is not stolen at 4 hours of my time - $200 on a bad week, maybe $400 on a good week, max...the time it takes me to get it through NYS DMV, including driving there.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

The insurance companies total these things if they have a dent in them now a days.
Tcash
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There is a small subset of fearful people who devalue a salvage title - a much larger and majority market who will buy a retitled vehicle at/near FMV - certainly not enough to kill the value.

I value a problem title that is not stolen at 4 hours of my time - $200 on a bad week, maybe $400 on a good week, max...the time it takes me to get it through NYS DMV, including driving there.

It was just junked along tons of other VW's and with the original #'s gone, it's just metal. People down here treat metal like gold and it's a lucrative business. The vin swap was done so long ago and it sat like that so when I called the DMV, they didn't really care. They'll take my money to have a new state vin issued if I want, but I'm not sure it's worth the headache. I have 2k in the body and engine, so I think I'm ahead if I get this other one and use it as a donor. I want a project to work on, so looks look I got it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Hey - remember that split that came up a couple years ago where it was stolen for like 25 - 30 years then it reappeared, and was caught while being loaded into a container. I remember another one where some one was restoring a vehicle and they found the hidden vin different that the rest of the vins on the car - it turned out to be a car stolen in the 70's. CHP hauled it away - Even the beach boys got stung on a car like that a few years back when someone checked a hidden vin.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

It happens all the time. Here's a local example of a stolen/recovered.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Speaking of hidden numbers, anyone have a pic of the numbers on the frame rail?
Thank you
Tcash
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

IBTL...Californians take groups that create noise seriously.
jlarmen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Speaking of hidden numbers, anyone have a pic of the numbers on the frame rail?
Thank you
Tcash
Where would those be?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN confusion Reply with quote

IIRC by the torque tube?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: