Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

And so it begins:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this is exactly why I bought the engine stand that I did:

Meanwhile the trans is off to AA Transaxle. The joints have had caked on dirt/oil since I purchased the bus so I knew this was in the offing.

Dropping it off turned out to be an interested experience. When I spoke to AA on the phone a week and a half ago, they said, call when I'm on the way up to drop it off or drop it off after hours, tag it with my info and that should take care of it. Problem is I can never seem to get them on the phone. I dropped it off at 6:30am this morning after taking my wife to the airport and so I could beat traffic, but that was too early to call. When I did call around 9am and again around 4pm, it just rang and went to voicemail. I left a message, but no call back as of yet. I hope I get my trans back. Small operation with a good reputation so I get it, but still I'd like some confirmation and not have to take a leap of faith.

Back to the engine, I've gotten my parts back from NWCR balanced. Here's the balance card for those that are interested.

They didn't have an issue with the fan, but I did take the weights on my rods before they went in. They really didn't need balancing as they were within 0.4 g of each other on total weight. Now they're within 0.9 g of each other. Rolling Eyes

Likewise, pistons are all now within 0.8 g. Tomorrow, I'll match pistons and rods to get the assembly weight balanced and figure out which pairing goes with what cylinder to help the balance further.

I cc'd the pistons (dished - 16 cc) and cylinder heads (56 cc) and if I use an absolute minimum deck height of 0.040 in , my compression ratio will be about 7.2:1 going down to maybe 7.0:1 if my deck height get up to around 0.060 in.

So if all goes according to plan, I'll have the basic engine done by the end of the weekend and the rest of it by the end of the week next week. Then I'm just waiting on the trans to be completed and keeping myself busy refreshing CV joints, shift rod bushings and cleaning the undercarriage that's now exposed.

Side note: a coworker brought this back from Budapest for me:

Cool, but my first thought was: why don't they ever make this stuff with Bay Windows instead of Splits?

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Well this weekend I didn't get quite as far as I had hoped, only getting the lower end assembled. It all started out looking good on Saturday afternoon:

Oil clearances on the rods looked good, all between 0.0015 and 0.0025 though it's really difficult to keep the rods still, particularly when loosening the rod nuts.

I used my old backpacking stove to heat up the crank gears and pressed them on.

I did end up splashing the cash on the Porsche distributor gear, but that ending up causing issues later on. The gears went on pretty easy; my subsequent taps with a brass punch didn't seat them any further.

I next installed the distributor and set it up for my basic ignition timing. There was a hiccup here in checking my end play as it was well over the spec given in Wilson's book. I had another oiler washer for the bottom of the drive shaft, but it didn't measure out any different. There seems only to be the one size and not a whole hell of lot to be done about it and from the research I did, no trusted voices out there recommended adding shims. In the end, I just sucked it up and went with it being what it was.

Next up, was to install the crankshaft assembly into the 3/4 case half. I spent a significant amount of time this weekend struggling to get it to seat correctly. The front end wouldn't finagle itself in and it took me a long time to discern what the interference was. At first, I suspect an issue with the #3 main bearing as I couldn't get it to find it's locating pin before noticing (after several removals and installs) that there were brass shavings where the steel distributor drive gear beneath the distributor met with the brass crank gear. After some comparison, I discovered that the 914 gear I purchased using the above link had the teeth inversely angled. I had assumed they were the same, but no dice. Here's a pic of the offending gear adjacent to a spare 2.0L crank I have:

Once I made the connection, I had to rig up a way to get the bad gear off:

This worked though I mangled that drive gear in the process (great use of $93), even when using the brass punch to knock it off the crank. Reused my old gear and it went on as before and the crank dropped right into the case half. Bolted the camshaft onto the cam gear (align the slot with the dot), Permatex'd the camshaft plug and it's all ready to bolt together:

Added case bolts and now centering plugs, insert #2 main bearing and cam bearings into 1/2 case half, applied Permatex, combine, and voila!

Anyone know why the replacement the thrust cam bearings only have a thrust surface on one half of the bearing when the case is cut for it on both halves? I compared against some removed bearings from another engine and this seems to be consistent.

And lastly, it looks like I'll be switching to a 72-74 exhaust. I pulled the right side heat exchanger from my old engine and the upper half of the external shell was in pretty sad shape. I could repair it with pieces from another HE, but it seems like most of the exhausts available from suppliers are geared towards the 72-74 style exhaust. I figure I should get on board with that while parts are still available. That means some tin changes, a right side HE, and a new muffler. More money into the pit...

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Pistons, cylinders, and heads added:

My deck height was 0.042 in, putting my compression ratio at 7.2.

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Good work!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

You'll be driving next week! Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You'll be driving next week! Cool

I wish. There's a small matter of a transaxle that won't be back in hand until late next week at the earliest. That and I still have to source my exhaust and right side heat exchanger.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Yes one of the reasons I went with the early exhaust - choice of mufflers. Well worth the wait in the end my friend Cool

What did you heat the gears in? Looks like canola Laughing Side of fry's please.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
What did you heat the gears in? Looks like canola Laughing Side of fry's please.

Vegetable oil. If you want some heavy automotive grease on your fries, I'll be sure to save it for you. Razz

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

The single-thrust cam bearings are stock. Having half a thrust surface allows significantly more oil to the thrust surface and a decent life for camshaft end play. Double-thrust cam bearing sets are made buying two bearing sets, and are caught after by performance enthusiasts who don't drive their cars more than a few thousand miles a year. Double-thrust setups can result in oil starvation on the thrust surface unless you "flute" the thrust surfaces of the cam bearings like the #1 main bearing.

See the little "flutes" in the surface? If you go double thrust, you must use a rat-tail (round) file to make flutes like that to allow oil onto the thrust surfaces. Yours must go all the way to the outside of the bearing, and be more straight than bulbous. Otherwise you'll grind through the thrust surfaces of the cam bearings and get some serious cam end-play which can futz with valve timing and create more wear issues.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfali a Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Robbie. Good info.

Well, I haven't been idle since Tuesday, just had a few struggles to work through. I discovered an error in the Tom Wilson book where he says to torque the rocker shafts down to 18 ft-lbs. I tried blaming a few different things, but after stripping my 3rd stud, I consulted the Bentley and sure enough, the correct torque was only 10 ft-lbs. So I didn't actually get my lifter, push rods, and rockers all assembled until Saturday.

After that, things went smoothly installing the intake and some fuel injection stuff:

I did spend Friday taking a tour of much of Western Washington trying to pick up parts. First stop wasn't actually VW related, but I drove out to Redmond early to pick up an old fashioned cider press. Got it for a sweet price so we should have fun pressing apples into cider. After that, I drove up to Duvall to Ken's (The Bus Co.) where I got a fuel rails, a couple tins to aid my switch over to a 72-74 heat exchanger and exhaust, and something else small I can't recall. That set me $50. From there, I drove back home to South Seattle to drop off the cider press and pick up my cylinder head. Then off to Kent to NWCR where I had them quickly replace one of the rocker studs in the head. 15 minutes later, I was on the road to Olympia where my son and I met for a late lunch. And lastly, drove down to Kelso to Avery's Air Cooled and picked up a new fan shroud (mine was sawn through at the no-return flaps), a new 72-74 muffler and tailpipe, a couple right side tins, an exhaust heat shield, and the right side heater box. $665 later, I drove my bruised wallet and collection of goodies. Spent 12.5 hours on the go, but managed to time everything just right to avoid traffic, otherwise that would've been more like 15 hours.

Upon getting home, my rebuilt injectors from Witchhunter were waiting in the mailbox. $110 to service four injectors. I disagree on the spray pattern being good before the service as I tested them here at home and found the pattern to be more like a hose than a fan of sprayed fuel. That, after all, is what led me to send them in.

I've lost count of where I'm at cost wise, but changing over exhausts upped the damage considerably.

Today, I fabbed my oven extension so I can powder coat and ceramic coat my bigger items; that'll happen over the next few nights. If my guess is correct to get that work completed, I should have the engine assembly done by Wednesday or Thursday of this coming week and can start cleaning the underneath of the bus , refurbishing the shift rod, and finally installing the BA6.

Oh! I found my spare #2 plug wire missing when I was connecting up the distributor. After some hunting around the garage, I remembered giving it to Colin (Amskeptic) when he was here in 2016 after we tested his wire and found it faulty. No problem, I'll use the one from my worn out engine...well, I unintentionally and irreversibly disassembled the one from my old engine when trying to clean oil residue of off it so I'm on the hunt for one. If anyone has one laying about that they don't mind parting ways with, please let me know. I'd rather not by a whole set just to get one wire.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

More progress.

You'll notice, I added in the metal fuel rails from the later models instead of the long rubber hose that was standard on '76 models. I like integrating some of the improvements that make sense, look correct, and are reversible.

Next step, heat exchangers and fan shroud. Left heat exchanger is already blasted and painted, but the process for curing the VHF Flame Proof paint is a 3-hour process so that will happen tomorrow night while I paint the right heat exchanger and start blasting the fan shroud.

I still need to find a right side heat riser tube to go between the heat exchanger and the control pod, a #2 plug wire, and some 5 mm vacuum tubing to connect the fuel pressure regulator, decel valve, and intake air plenum.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

That's looking amazing! I love the attention to details as the engine looks brand new!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That's looking amazing! I love the attention to details as the engine looks brand new!

Thanks for the compliment, but the pictures can be deceiving, especially taken with my phone camera. Some of the powder coating on the larger pieces is unevenly cured as the oven extension I rigged up requires reconsidering curing times and rotating the parts to get an even set. That's stuff I haven't quite nuanced out yet. Still, it's protected from rust and that's ultimately what's important. There are other minor issues as well, but stuff that I can readily tackle later as I find or assemble better condition components.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

I had hoped this would be the big unveiling of the engine, ready to install, but had some issues with the adjustment travel of the alternator and had to fabricate the little tabs to hold the cooling flaps in place, that ate up a lot of time today.

I'm not too happy with the final color of the fan shroud, far too white for my tastes, I would've preferred a more aluminum look, but I had the powder on hand and no other plans for it so that's what it gets. Likewise, the heat shield should have been more of an aluminum color, but I wanted to burn the can of VHF I had laying around so there it is; it's rarely visible so I'm not too fussed about it. Also, I wish I had been able to secure a better condition right side heat exchanger, but no luck.

I just figured out today that I need a different right side tin-to-heat exchanger duct for the air from the booster fan. For some reason, it's different on 76-78 models vs. the 72-74 style. Another part to hunt down. Confused

Spent another $60 at Avery's to get the R heat exchanger to control pod pipe. Ken is holding the L side for me. I'll get that when my trans is finished.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

On the verge of installation.

End play is set at 0.003" with a 0.012", 0.013", and 0.013" in. shims. It was really tight, in fact, I had to get 0.005" ground off the flywheel thrust surface to get it to fit three shims. I still have to install the clutch and pressure plate, but I had to come in for the evening to watch my nephew while my wife hit the gym so that'll happen a bit later tonight.

I still have a few things to do in the bus body though and I'm still waiting on my transmission. The report from AA Transaxle last Thursday was sometime midweek this week. Hopefully that means tomorrow and not Thursday. I want to get it installed and broken in this weekend.

Did some massive cleaning while replacing the fuel lines:

I treated some of the exposed and rusted areas with Ospho to prevent further rusting. The whole engine compartment and undercarriage could use a paint job, but I'm just not able to make that happen at this point in time.

Last tasks to get done before the transmission is finished: pull and replace shift rod components, run new clutch cable, install my Buddy's Bit throttle cable guide, and...something else I can't recall. Small tasks in all though. I should be ready once the trans is back. Can't wait!

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Grrr...so close!

I picked up my transaxle from AA Transaxle this afternoon. Came home, installed the newly painted shift rods w/new bushings, mated the engine to the trans and went to fill the trans when I noticed the plug for the fill port is missing! Gah!

So if anyone in the greater Seattle area has a spare fill port they could loan me until AA gets me mine, please let me know. I'm hoping to be up and running on Saturday morning.

Painted shift rods:

New shift rod coupler bushings (I prefer the genuine VW, but couldn't find so what are you going to do?):

On the verger of being installed:

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Andrew,

You should tack weld the round portion to the cage. Those EMPI cages are a press/crimp and are known to spin after a few thousand miles.

I tried the NEW OEM rubber bushings in a stock coupler were too soft and squishy. I then bought that coupler and like the urethane bushings.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

Good information, I hadn't heard that. This actually my existing cage with just the business replaced so I'm not too fussed about it.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

New shift rod coupler bushings (I prefer the genuine VW, but couldn't find so what are you going to do?):

Link
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, A Love Story Reply with quote

And she's in and running! Big thanks to Zelten for lending me his transmission fill port plug to get me by until AA Transaxle can send me mine in the mail..

In my excitement, I didn't take many photos and several of were really bad so this is the last good photo before the cam break in.

The cam break in went fine. I read the news on my phone for 20 minutes while periodically checking the multimeter to make sure I hadn't crept below 2,000 rpm. I did end up with a couple of oil leaks, one from the left valve cover which I fixed and one from the oil pump which I snugged up the bolts on, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick.

After tackling the leaks, I installed heater ducts and my drive axles and took it on its first drive to seat the rings. It drove great despite needing a valve adjustment and being timed statically.

Tomorrow morning, I'll adjust the valves, timing, and my shifter and then the missus and I are going on a fall drive. Gotta keep breaking in the baby!

Thanks for following along.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: