Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My! Reply with quote

I think what you are going to find is that your main jets have been clogged from running age gasohol. This stuff seemed to have been designed with clogging jets in mind. You may have some luck with running something like Seafoam mixed with the gas in your tank, but you may well have to pull the jets and use a wooden toothpick to break the crusty stuff loose.
Seventy3Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My! Reply with quote

I pulled both carbs off, and they are both pretty gunky. I am going to strip them down and rebuild them using the kit from CB Performance and will post an update once I have them cleaned up and back on.

I found a fairly useful series of videos for cleaning the Weber 34 ICT on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di5AKIJpjeg

Link above for anyone else who wants to rebuild their own.
Seventy3Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My! Reply with quote

After cleaning the carburetors I have a couple questions before re-installing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1. What is the brass port just to the left of base of each carb? I sprayed carb cleaner through it and it connects to the throat of the carb. I'm guessing it is for the balance tube, which my bus didn't have installed. One had a black plug on it and one was open - the resulting vacuum leak probably had something to do with the engine not running. Does anyone have experience installing a new balance tube, or know where to find plugs for the ports?

2. I think the holes on the sides of the manifolds are for the brake vacuum booster. The connectors are made of old brittle plastic and the one on the left side was snapped off flush with the manifold. The PO just screwed a bolt into the plastic, which was pretty loose and I think another source of vacuum leak. I tried screwing the bolt in with some red loctite hoping that I could twist the whole thing out once it dried, but can't get the plastic piece out. Any thoughts? Should I just take the manifold off and carefully try to drill it out?

3. Aeromech has a couple good posts about using Gates vacuum line as a replacement. What are people using as the manifold fittings? I was thinking I would try to find some brass right angle connectors. Anyone have some experience with this?

Here's a before and after pic:

Thanks for your help!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My! Reply with quote

I see you have the finest Weber Tune-o-Matic Carburetor Calibrator in the background, there...nice work! Cool
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My! Reply with quote

The brass port is for vacuum advance.

The balance pipe will connect the manifolds, not the carburetors. It looks like you have something in the balance pipe hole on the left manifold to provide vacuum for the power brakes. You can duplicate that on the right manifold and use a 'T' to hook up the power brakes. You'd just need to buy a couple fittings and some vacuum hose. I would expect to see pipe threads once you get that bolt and sealant out of the right manifold.

If the broken fitting is plastic, you can burn it out after you remove the manifold and walk a safe distance away from the Bus. You should be able to get brass fittings at your local hardware store to go from the pipe thread to a barbed hose fitting.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
slammed sickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My! Reply with quote

you problem seems to be described as the problem I'm have in but my.motor is fuel injected... did you get it fixed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seventy3Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor, Carbs, Timing... Oh My! Reply with quote

I think the majority of my issues were due to vacuum leaks on the intake manifolds where the vacuum brake booster lines tie in, and the timing not being advanced enough. I don't know much about fuel injection, but I would try checking for vacuum leaks (some people check with a propane, you should be able to find a thread on it... be careful) and double checking the timing at full advance with a timing light. I don't know what type of distributer you are running or what the timing should be at full advance, but you should be able to find some guidance in Bentley or by doing a search on here. I hope this helps!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: