Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Vw Heritage wheels. Took a little work but im stoked with the results. Slightly taller tires are in my future.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

What is the current thinking on getting some 16" steelies? Metro? Sprinter? Passat? Tiguan?
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Passing this along for anyone who wants the genuine Mercedes 124 15" wheels.

I know nothing about them, other than they came off a 124 (300E), and what is stamped on the back - 1244011202 and 61/2JX15H2

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/wto/6243042384.html
Scott@USRT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have no idea what these are, but the look interesting: https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/pts/d/vw-bug-van-wheels/6202685406.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott@USRT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

And, some CLK 320s in North Cackalacka:
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/d/mercedes-benz-clk-320/6241365594.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Scott@USRT wrote:
I have no idea what these are, but the look interesting: https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/pts/d/vw-bug-van-wheels/6202685406.html

Those are 15x7 ET45 Audi A6 wheels. Forged and made by Fuchs...same as the CLK "Toliman" wheels. Normally they would require the center bores to be opened up, but if someone already had them on a Bus then they must have already done that. You would need spacers, lugs and rear studs to fit these properly. The center caps are homemade jobbies.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Scott@USRT wrote:
And, some CLK 320s in North Cackalacka:
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/d/mercedes-benz-clk-320/6241365594.html

I reached out to this guy, and he is a bit unreasonable about them - wants $350 for the wheels and $300 for the entire car, go figure ... He sent me photos and they are attached here. The condition is "meh" - probably refinish grade. Anyone interested locally - here you go!

Fracas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Vw Heritage wheels. Took a little work but im stoked with the results. Slightly taller tires are in my future.

Ok so could use some details on this
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I think on the heritage wheels you need to machine out the center bore to 66.56, spacers front and back, like 10mm-13mm in front and 20 mm back, you'll need small-ball seat lugs for the front and small-ball bolts in the back, longer rear studs too, lug holes bored out to 14mm.
Did I forget anything? Maybe....
Double check all that of course. They should be 43 et I think.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I think on the heritage wheels you need to machine out the center bore to 66.56, spacers front and back, like 10mm-13mm in front and 20 mm back, you'll need small-ball seat lugs for the front and small-ball bolts in the back, longer rear studs too, lug holes bored out to 14mm.
Did I forget anything? Maybe....
Double check all that of course. They should be 43 et I think.

All correct except for needing to drill out the lug holes! Im running 10mm spacer up front and 20mm in the rear.
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have looked far and wide for a set of 17" Mercedes wheels I could fit "easily".

Finally, E430 wheels 17x7.5 ET37 and 215/60-17 tires.

Carefully drilled out holes with 19/32" bit.
56mm studs in the rear, no spacers.
65mm studs front, no spacers (this was overkill, had set laying around, could go R12 M14x1.5 40mm bolts).
Ball end R12 M14x1.5 nuts (Thanks T3Technique).
Raised Mercedes centercaps.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Looks great!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippledippledoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have an '86 Syncro Westy with the twin piston Audi G6 front brakes necessitating 16" wheels. On the rear is the standard Audi rear disk conversion. I have Mefro rims on now and they work fine...but I lust after rims such as this, 2008 Audi A4 rims

16" rim, 7 inches wide, 42mm offset

I suspect that these would need spacers, as well as longer studs. Certainly my van will need longer studs on the rear as my rear hubs were made for steel rims and must be fairly short.

Any comments on going this way?
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Zippledippledoo,

I run these Audi wheels on my syncro with G60 brakes in the front. You will need to machine the center bore and use small ball seat hardware. Ideally you would add 15 mm spacer and longer rear and front stud but I presenly have the stock lenght studs and no spacer. I have bfg 215/70r16 with no interference.

Hope this help!!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Found some mercedes wheels - will they work? Reply with quote

northband wrote:
Curious if these specs would work? If so - any extra work needed such as boring or spacers?

Mercedes E class
OEM
16x7.5" - 5x112mm

Thanks

I have also seen this style as a 15 inch wheel.

What offset are these 16 inch wheels and are this style available with more than one width and/or offset?

During recent months, I had been negotiating with a vendor for a set of six 16 inch wheels of this style, priced at £120 plus shipping, for use on my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental, but have been unable to get any information about either their offset or width. Sadly, I learned a few days ago that the wheels were sent for scrap whilst he was in hospital! Crying or Very sad

It was said that at least four of these wheels originated from a circa 2000/01 Mercedes C-Class estate car, so I imagine they would normally be used with M12 x 1.5 mm wheel-fixing bolts

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

NASkeet, those wheels are 16x7.5 ET41, part number 2104010602. They came on E-Class cars from '96 through '99. They do have smaller lug holes, but they can easily be drilled for use with 14mm hardware. On a Bus, I would suggest spacers, longer studs, and small ball seat lug nuts.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

These are sitting at my machinists place now, I have another set of them already and like the light weight forged aspect and look.
we picked them up on our way from NY to Charleston to view the eclipse.
we had a failure of a rear rim to fastener on the trip, the chrome rims my new to me red van came with are not designed for the conical lugs/nuts that the PO put them on with..
LESSON HERE is, do NOT trust the PO to know what they have or what they should have in the wheel fastener department. do your due diligence.
Christopher Schimke wrote:
Scott@USRT wrote:

Those are 15x7 ET45 Audi A6 wheels. Forged and made by Fuchs...same as the CLK "Toliman" wheels. Normally they would require the center bores to be opened up, but if someone already had them on a Bus then they must have already done that. You would need spacers, lugs and rear studs to fit these properly. The center caps are homemade jobbies.

poor pic but 15in chromies with GW center caps

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
NASkeet, those wheels are 16x7.5 ET41, part number 2104010602. They came on E-Class cars from '96 through '99. They do have smaller lug holes, but they can easily be drilled for use with 14mm hardware. On a Bus, I would suggest spacers, longer studs, and small ball seat lug nuts.

I would be wary of using wheel-spacers, both for reason of safety and the fact that their use is illegal in some countries; possibly including some where I might travel with the campervan. In some countries, it is also illegal to decrease the wheel-track so using wheels having a wheel-offset of more than 39 mm would be unacceptable.

My provisional measurements of the rear wheel-arch, suggest that the optimum wheel-offset for roughly equal inboard & outboard clearances, is about 35~37 mm, so 41 mm would not be good choice, for this and other reasons already mentioned.

My preferred choices of commercial-van (i.e. light-truck) tyre, would be either 205/65 R16C or 215/65 R16C, which are readily available in Great Britain, at competitive prices and made by a plethora of manufacturers. I could also use 205/60 R16C or 215/60 R16C commercial-van (i.e. light-truck) tyres, but these are not quite so plentiful and are likely to be more expensive. Another consideration, is that 65-Series tyres are said to be the lowest profile with which one can use inner-tubes if necessary.

With these tyre sizes, a 6½ or 7 inch wide wheel would be more appropriate. I am aware that there are some Mercedes E-Class or C-Class 16 inch wheels which are 7 inches wide, with a wheel-offset of 38 mm, 37 mm or slightly less.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I would be wary of using wheel-spacers, both for reason of safety and the fact that their use is illegal in some countries; possibly including some where I might travel with the campervan. In some countries, it is also illegal to decrease the wheel-track so using wheels having a wheel-offset of more than 39 mm would be unacceptable.

And yet so many cars came from the factory with wheel spacers. Porsche even used 28mm spacers on the 930, 911, and 944. It's part number 93033161104. Porsche even offers a factory bolt-on 17mm spacer for the Cayenne. It's part number 95504460023 if you want to look that one up.

Not that I would suggest overriding any local government's regulations, but when used correctly spacers are 100% safe so there is no need to consider them unsafe unless the parts are used incorrectly, poor quality, or are combined with poor quality mounting hardware.

NASkeet wrote:
My provisional measurements of the rear wheel-arch, suggest that the optimum wheel-offset for roughly equal inboard & outboard clearances, is about 35~37 mm, so 41 mm would not be good choice, for this and other reasons already mentioned.

Again, it depends. VW offered factory wheels for the T3 in offsets ranging from 30mm to 39mm.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

These were some 16 inch wheels with 36 mm wheel-offset that I thought would like nice on the 1973 VW Type 2, but I discovered that they are 8 inches wide, which is far too much. Shocked Sad At £150 for four with tyres, they were not outrageously expensive.

These five-spoke wheels are said to be 7J x 16 inch with 37 mm wheel-offset, which wouldn't look too bad.

These five-slot wheels were also said to be 7J x 16 inch with 37mm wheel-offset, but I am not so keen on this style. About a year ago, I could have bought a total of six (four + two) of these from two vendors in Cardiff, Wales, for a total of £60

This is said to be Mercedes 16 inch alloy wheel, having a 10-semi-elliptical-slot design which I quite like, but I know nothing about the wheel-rim width or wheel-offset. I came across this picture in a VWC&C magazine article several years ago about a 1971~79 VW Type 2.

To date, my research seems to indicate that 2007 onward Mercedes C-Class wheels and 2002 onward Mercedes E-Class wheels, are designed for use with M14 x 1.5 mm wheel-fixing bolts, so if I can find some (5, but preferably 6) of 16 inches diameter, of an appropriate width (i.e. 6½ or 7 inches) & offset (i.e. circa 33~39 mm), in a style that I like, at a "reasonable" price I can afford, I shall be well pleased.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 141 of 174

Jump to: