Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Spike summed it up. You can score a Honda/Acura Toyota/Lexus with 150k miles for $3k. 2010+ models not 2000, so when all they want to do is drive fast and add glamour mods, what better starting margin or platform that Japanese makes?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Spike summed it up. You can score a Honda/Acura Toyota/Lexus with 150k miles for $3k. 2010+ models not 2000, so when all they want to do is drive fast and add glamour mods, what better starting margin or platform that Japanese makes?

Spike summed up an ongoing and repetitive theme. Thats human nature finding its way when $ meets age meets opportunity. Same shit when I chose to buy a fastback when I was 17 as my first car for $200.....and so on.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Spike summed up an ongoing and repetitive theme. Thats human nature finding its way when $ meets age meets opportunity. Same shit when I chose to buy a fastback when I was 17 as my first car for $200.....and so on.

Showing your age, Jason... Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
notchboy wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Showing your age, Jason... Laughing

Wisdoms not given, it's earned Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
You would never see these kids on forums, because it isn't really needed. And you especially wouldn't see them on old VW forums because, duh.

*coughing* I'm on here....*coughing* Laughing

Me too, but we really probably should be spending out money on something more logical. Like an F150, Honda Accord, Toyota Prius, Insert any reliable durable over engineered vehicle you come up with here.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
You would never see these kids on forums, because it isn't really needed. And you especially wouldn't see them on old VW forums because, duh.

*coughing* I'm on here....*coughing* Laughing

Me too, but we really probably should be spending out money on something more logical. Like an F150, Honda Accord, Toyota Prius, Insert any reliable durable over engineered vehicle you come up with here.

There are plenty of weirdos in the bunch. Those that act on the idea that they are different. They buy buses today at the age of 21 Wink Laughing Not bad at all. Just not a normal "peer group" decision. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts. If we are seeing a leak of young people to the hobby, is it really because of funds? Or were we raised to throw things away when they get difficult and buy another? Weren't we raised to do things the fastest? The best? The easiest? If everyone wins, why would I want a harder car to keep alive?

My generation didn't ask for participation trophies. They were given to us. The question is: who will throw their trophies away and realize that sweating in a car you built feels better than ANY air conditioner?

Unless you built that too,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Interesting thoughts. If we are seeing a leak of young people to the hobby, is it really because of funds? Or were we raised to throw things away when they get difficult and buy another? Weren't we raised to do things the fastest? The best? The easiest? If everyone wins, why would I want a harder car to keep alive?

My generation didn't ask for participation trophies. They were given to us. The question is: who will throw their trophies away and realize that sweating in a car you built feels better than ANY air conditioner?

Unless you built that too,
Robbie

Applause Yes your GenX parents made you the way you are. I completely agree and throw that in the face of complainers that look down on the NextGens. But trust me the populous and or fringe, shoved down your throat populous of the day when I was a 30 something genX pop were considered wrong in many respects. I never thought it ok to have a 4th grade graduation nor receive a participation award. My kids were raised to know that. The peer group of us tended to take a kinder gentile approach to what we were subjected to as kids. Ill fucking smak you upside the head if I thought you did wrong. Today Im a child abuser. Rolling Eyes

I would hope that they (my kids) will be the weirdos outside the box that build their AC and roll in an ACVW they built. Or at a minimum - enjoy what I build before selling it when Im old and incontinent. Wink

I may not know how much my T3 seat recliners are worth or who to sell my accessory tool box to when Im 72.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2096023
This might be a good deal, but that is not in good condition...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Um, no, a stripped out shell with no paper work is not a good deal at that price.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Well if you drive a splitty bus very often and youre over 6 feet tall you know why some kids are not buying them anymore. A bay is a little easier to drive if you're taller more room too. But why would a kid want to drive something that doesn't have ac and a nice radio you can hear and enough heat that you don't see your breath or have to wear a jacket and gloves while you are in a bus or when you sit at the stop light and your heat just barely works until the light changes or it dies because the idle shit off valve has stopped working so now you have to feather the gas all the way home so you can order one all the way from Cali which takes over 5 business days to get to your house so now you don't have a bus for the weekend because you didn't have a spare one. Oh and you can't leave home without a tool box with at least a 10,13,15,17, 19mm wrench at the least and a couple screwdrivers. And you will also have to carry an extra clutch and accel. Cable and a gen. Belt or two and points, condensor, cap, and rotor all just in case. That sounds so appealing to a young person.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Um, no, a stripped out shell with no paper work is not a good deal at that price.

That's what I thought i just know people love the trucks and '68s are weird so I wasn't sure.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

if the truck is solid that's cheap money really...

I don't know why everyone gets all stroked out over paperwork...it can be handled and should reflect on the price...

but CT is a no title state anyway, so I have no issue with some old turd and no paperwork

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I don't know why everyone gets all stroked out over paperwork...it can be handled and should reflect on the price...

but CT is a no title state anyway, so I have no issue with some old turd and no paperwork

And here in WA they just check it to see if its "wanted" then register it to you. After 2 years you get a title. Cake. No Schewty Ballz. Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

The fact that you can justify $4,500 as a good price for the remnants of a vehicle shows why the younger generations are staying away from the ACVWs hobby.

You guys in no-title states don't know how good you've got it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

The fact that you can justify $4,500 as a good price for the remnants of a vehicle shows why the younger generations are staying away from the ACVWs hobby.

You guys in no-title states don't know how good you've got it.

be that as it may, how about the guy here in CT trying to put that abortion of a truck on the road? he'd be light years ahead with this one, providing it didn't need the lower 12"

I dunno...in the past 6 years the cheapest parts bus I have found has been 800-1K so it's just a sign of the times really. if you are finding go-down-the-road ready buses for 3-5K you're lucky

spend your time or pend your money...don't spend both...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

good price even with shipping included? from Zagreb, Republic of Croatia?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
good price even with shipping included? from Zagreb, Republic of Croatia?

oh, right...didn't realize we were looking at shipping costs too, and not just a whine about the asking price. my bad

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

Aside from the location that doesn't look bad, not all beat up on the deck so the rest may be clean as well, pending inspection of the lower 6" it may be a good deal for a local.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Gonzo1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale Reply with quote

I always saw this forum but didnt really understand it until I started looking in the Classified's for parts for my '70 Westy.

Some used stuff is listed higher than you can purchase a new one for. Granted, the majority of the time is because its OE vs. Repro.. I get that.

But selling Repro's at inflated prices is pretty nuts to me..

I can get certain repro lenses for $10 each... Shipped for around $27 a pair. They're also in the classifieds for close to $40.. And its not an isolated thing. Other repro lenses in the classified's are $20 each and I can get them for $6.. But Oh Boy if you want those cracked, shitty looking Hellas, its gonna be $180.. Rolling Eyes

One of my Hella Turn Signal Lenses came off in two pieces... Still worth $100, right???

/rant off

-Gonz
What a long, strange trip it's been
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 488, 489, 490  Next
Jump to:
Page 411 of 490

Jump to: