Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Repair Panels? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Unfortunately, so is Wolfsburg West.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does putting your sticker as far away as possible on the same part as the crappy manufacturer's sticker make it any less crappy?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Here is an example of the one of the best panel on the market,Gerson panel,it is too short and the body lines are off,

No its not...you're not laying it in there right

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Well, that settles that! That's really a bummer to see the klassic fab panel leave something to be desired as well. Need to order a bunch of metal for my 73 riviera. Guess I'm just gonna go with bus depot and get the "best" quality of everything I need. That funky green panel not fitting right is disheartening, thought Gerson had his stuff well dialed in....poop!!
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Ah thanks for clarifying skills! So in your opinion, since you know what you're doing, will it be worth the money to get what Gerson offers that I need for my 73, then get the best quality bus depot offers for the rest? Thanks for everyone's input!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Skills I hope your right,would you be kind enough to provide a link or info on how it should go on.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Skills I hope your right,would you be kind enough to provide a link or info on how it should go on.

no link...

typically you can't overlay a panel and have it "line up" very well. it's hard to tell from your pic, but the short rocker side of the cheater panel *may* be a little short in the seam...

if you can hold the edge of the panel (the top edge that you'd weld to the bus) to the side of the bus you can probably see if it lines up. the fold in the seam where you are suppose to spot weld it makes it hard to do an overlay.

I have done about 6 of those panels and never an issue...not to say you may have gotten a sloppy one

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

This may show it a little better,still come up a bit short,but it is a good solid panel and I will make it look ok,when I compare the piece to the Gerson outer rocker,the rocker is also a little longer.
I did try to adjust the seam profile on the panel,but there is not much give in it.

In the above picture it looks to be a bit short,but after I cleaned out 4 coats of paint and filler from the body lines,the panel was/is the proper length.

This picture shows the body line on the repair panel,the bend where I have marked it was to sharp [90 degrees]I have hammered it out some and will have to give it a few more taps to get it to more closely match the og panel.
Over all I am pleased with it.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
cd sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Please help.

I need to know if the length of treasure chest louvers on a 1969.

Are the same length as the engine bay louvers??

I do not have access to a reference vehicle to measure them and mine came with out them...
I have searched

Thx!
C
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

I'm looking for a left side cargo floor edge for a 73 Baywindow. It looks to be about 12" wide. I have seen it at Schofield's and JK in the UK but not in the US. Bus Depot offers a cargo floor half as does WW. Both seem to have vague stampings in the area I'm looking for. Anyone know of a source for this part in the US? Thanks.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

cd sullivan wrote:
Please help.

I need to know if the length of treasure chest louvers on a 1969.

Are the same length as the engine bay louvers??

I do not have access to a reference vehicle to measure them and mine came with out them...
I have searched

Thx!
C

I could take some measurements from my 1975 single cab:

(more photos at http://vw.tauxe.net/arandano ),
but I am not sure if that is the same for 1969.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cd sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

That would be great!!!!, Thank you

I have purchased the engine louvers from Auto Craft Engineering, I just need a reference length, I can't see VW making different tooling for the louvers as it would be inefficient...my assumption is there are the same.

jtauxe wrote:

I could take some measurements from my 1975 single cab:

(more photos at http://vw.tauxe.net/arandano ),
but I am not sure if that is the same for 1969.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Louvers for the engine compartment are 278 mm long, arranged in a 3 x 3 grid.

Louvers for the storage compartment are 298 mm long, arranged in a 2 x 1 grid.

The measurements are +/- a couple of mm, since the edges are rounded and all, but the bottom line is that the storage compartment louvers are 20 mm longer than the engine compartment ones.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

if i only have rust below the tail light, could i use theses klassicfab panels on my 73 bus? it says 68-71, but i dont see a difference between them below the lights? One side is damaged so i have to use the thinner ones, but if i could use a gherson product on the other side?

https://www.klassicfab.com/product-category/bay-window-bus/rear-corners/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Here r the 2. The 68-71 looks rounder. Im sure if they fit both Klassic Fab would advertise as such.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

bummer.... this one busdepot is selling:

http://www.busdepot.com/j39782

"Very nice quality, much better than the versions previously available."

Is thicker than previous klokkerholm panels ive seen, but still thinner than the stock ones.

i didnt think about how the removable rear apron might/would/could affect the shape of the corners

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

It depends on your metal skills, the early corner is different on the back edge and where it meets the rear seam, there's lots of meat to trim and reshape it but it's not going to fit or look right if you just slap it on as is.

There's also that bump for the bumper pan the later ones lack.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cd sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Louvers for the engine compartment are 278 mm long, arranged in a 3 x 3 grid.

Louvers for the storage compartment are 298 mm long, arranged in a 2 x 1 grid.

The measurements are +/- a couple of mm, since the edges are rounded and all, but the bottom line is that the storage compartment louvers are 20 mm longer than the engine compartment ones.

WOW THANKS!!!!!!

20mm is a massive difference,
this was the last pieces of info. i needed to start on the door.

Thank you again.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: NOS Body Repair Panels Reply with quote

NOS Body Repair Panel Pictures
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

I am considering replacing a cab doorskin for a 73 bus. As far as I can tell the only available doorskins are made by Klokkerholm, both for the U.S. and Europe/UK. Does anyone else make doorskins of the same thickness as orignal? I am fighting a stubborn dent repair, but the rest of the door is original and in good condition. I have heard the Klokkerholm skins are a good fit. Fitting a new skin looks fairly straightforward. It looks to be mostly a measure twice, cut once kind of thing. Any pitfalls/downsides to replacing one vs finding a good used door?

Thanks for the help.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

New early and late nose skins from WW

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211805035H

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211805031J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 41

Jump to: