Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3rd broken alternator strap.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

I replaced the alternator in my 70' (1600 sp) with a new Bosch AL82N.
Shortly after I found the hold down strap had broken. I then replaced it
with a used stock strap which also broke in short order... repeat once again.
FWIW I replaced the Bosch without pulling the engine.
Afterwards I had no rubbing of the fan and I really don't think I've been over
tightening the strap bolts or the fan belts.
In decades I've been working on my ACVWs I've never had a strap break
and now 3 in two weeks time??

Thoughts?
72 Baja
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Where are you getting these straps from?, new?, or good used German?
Sounds to me like you need another fan that maybe isn't so horribly out of balance.
Describe your method for belt adjustment as well please.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Used German straps.
I usually tightened the pulley nut snug, then let the pulley turn as I
tightened more so that the belt can ride higher in the groove,
then hold it down for final tourque. Shims placed so that I can get maybe
a half inch of belt deflection.
72 Baja
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Bent shaft, I've had it happen in the past. It is not noticeable at low speed , but it will repeatedly snap the strap.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Bent shaft, I've had it happen in the past. It is not noticeable at low speed , but it will repeatedly snap the strap.

If it is a bent alternator shaft, you will be able to find it with a dial indicator (remove the pulley and fan, check with the indicator tip directly on the shaft:

Link

For the strap, I use what I think is a much better solution, commonly used in aviation for other stuff.. a stainless band clamp.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1379800
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:

For the strap, I use what I think is a much better solution, commonly used in aviation for other stuff.. a stainless band clamp.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1379800

EMPI makes those, and I find the quality to be excellent. At first I had questions about the stainless' ability to deal with vibration without work hardening, but 60k miles has proven mine to be effective. You WILL ned a 10mm deep socket to fully tighten the strap, unlike the stock strap which can be done with a regular 13mm socket and box wrench.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Nice video posting! I like the Chinese gauge measuring the failure of a Chinese alternator. You can see the wobble when the rotation occurs. Mine was more subtle, hard to see except at high rpm.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Ok, I discovered that the culprit was a bad pulley that I didn't notice in my haste to get back on the road.
It was an original cast pulley that had been worn on it's inner bore causing some eccentricity.
The alt shaft run out was good and I've got a good pulley on there.
Just gotta find another strap and new belt.

Thanks guys!
72 Baja
appetite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

jakokombi,

Not to highjack your thread, but I'm curious about your alternator swap. You mentioned that you did it without removing the engine. Besides removing the nut behind the fan shroud, which I understand is a huge PIA, did you encounter any other difficulties?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

appetite wrote:
jakokombi,

Not to highjack your thread, but I'm curious about your alternator swap. You mentioned that you did it without removing the engine. Besides removing the nut behind the fan shroud, which I understand is a huge PIA, did you encounter any other difficulties?

Sometimes the nut puts up a fight, but most of the time a strap wrench or oil filter wrench on the pulley will break it loose. Aside from removing the carb the only other occasional issue is getting at the lower plate fasteners between the manifold and shroud, if they are slot screws and not hex head they are tedious to remove. Getting all the shims/washers aligned and the nut back on requires eyes on the ends of your fingers but if you do a few dry runs out of the bus you can get a feel for it first.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

appetite wrote:
jakokombi,

Yes it is a pain. More importantly, it is a hack way to do it.
If you look at our Great Green Book (Bently manual) it says that there is a precise measurement for fan clearance in the housing which would be difficult if not impossible to achieve with engine in.
As far as other problems, access to the fan plate housing scews can be difficult (I use cap head screws on my tin). If that fan nut hasn't been off in 40 plus years it will not come easily.
Truly it is easier to pull the engine on an early bay and do this job correctly. The only reason I did it this way was that I knew that if I dropped the motor, then I would feel the need to address a bunch of other things that would run me out of time and make me miss the eclipse trip, things like new clutch? very minor exhaust leak and whatever else I would pick at while I was there. Also I knew it would come easy because I had put it in recently.
I had a large bruise on my inner forearm from the fan shroud for several days afterwards.
72 Baja
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
......If you look at our Great Green Book (Bently manual) it says that there is a precise measurement for fan clearance in the housing which would be difficult if not impossible to achieve with engine in....

Well to split hairs the measurement is between the generator plate (disc) and the front of the fan, and regardless of where the engine is sitting that has to be done by assembling the fan to the alternator while it's out of the shroud. The difference when doing it while the engine is installed is you have to remove the fan again and put it into the shroud first, just make sure you keep the shim stack intact and the clearance will be the same after it's back together. There's nothing "hack" about it if you take your time and measure first.

As for the bruised forearm?, yeah, that's part of cheating the flat rate time on a job, if your arms can't take it drop the engine.

Слава Україні!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Cut a nice access hole in the luggage area (just the size of a late T-4 powered access hatch), remove the shroud and alternator as one unit, service as necessary and re-install. In this day of horrid Chinese parts this is not a hack but a necessary upgrade . Pulling the engine every time an alternator fails is insane (they only last 10K miles if your lucky) , and doing it in place is really hard .
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Link

Link
appetite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

Thanks all. I'll bite the bullet and pull the engine.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd broken alternator strap. Reply with quote

appetite wrote:
Thanks all. I'll bite the bullet and pull the engine.

Wooooaaaahhhhh. Tell us about your engine first. If you don't have a thermostat, you'll be able to do it much easier. If you don't have a doghouse shroud/oil cooler, you'll be able to do it in even less time.

With the right 36mm socket wrench, and a good diagram of how it goes back together, the job can be done with less physical effort and more physical dexterity in about the same time, or less.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: