Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single or double pin front brake caliper
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Interesting. Went to do a front disc brake job and my driver's side caliper is a single pin.....the passenger side is a double pin. The brakes I bought are for a single pin. Does anyone know what is to be used. I have put thousands of miles on the car with this set-up. I am thinking they should both be the same? Thanks.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

yeah, they should be both the same. At some time in your cars life someone swapped an earlier caliper. Probably best to match them now or it will always be an issue and the next owner will blame you. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

In case you're trying to decide between a single or double pin, my '69 had a single pin when I got it. It was squealing whenever I stepped on the brakes until I changed both to double pin. Been quiet ever since.

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Yeah, agree with c21. What might have happened is someone replaced a possible bad caliper with the replacement caliper which is the two-pin. I believe many of the two-pin calipers are a type 3 caliper which is a 42mm piston vs the ghia caliper at 40mm.

All the new calipers are 42mm for either type 3 or ghia.
The unique thing about the ghia front brakes is all 3 caliper designs will bolt on to any of the spindles and center themselves onto the rotor as the rotor's are all the same. The bay bus' and type 3's do not share this ability to swap calipers, and/or brake parts.

As I recall the first few years (66-70) had an ATE 1 pin caliper. The next few years (71-73) had the ATE 2 pin caliper. Finally the final two years (73-74) used the Girling caliper. They were all 40mm pistons.

My friends '74 Ghia vert had the calipers replaced with the replacement Varga's. I believe these are a 42mm piston caliper for both the ghia's and early type 3's. I am using Mintex pads here and the car stops phenomenally.

My rational for all this type is to inform you of some of the differences and options. Looking at your gallery pic shows me a very nice ghia that is worthy of proper planning here. Obviously the prior owner wasn't into correctness.

I think your options are to:
1- Locate some OG ghia, or type 3, 1 pin or 2 pin calipers and rebuild them.
2- Buy a pair of replacement calipers such as these here. They are Chinese clones of the brazil vargas
http://www.eisparts.com/311615107_108.html
3- See what is available from the normal FLAPS stores.

Something to consider with the ATE vs Varga, to include the china version, is the pin retention hardware is different between the two manufacturers.
Ray Greenwood has a very hardcore rebuild tutorial that he has and is worthy of reading.

Hope this helps, Bill.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice. I will buy the other 2 pin. Is the single pin worth anything. It works perfectly. Will probably put up on ebay. I just bought brand new brakes for the single pin calipers Can't send those back because I sprayed with anti squeal before realizing what I had in front of me. Any idea what they would be worth as a package?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Hi. Just make sure the caliper you buy as a replacement is the same mfgr and piston size as the other. Mfgr because of the 2 retention pins and piston dia so as to brake properly.

As far as pricing your parts, a used 1 pin caliper should be about $20-$30 and pads will vary because of different mfgr's but basic pads go for $20 up to a top tier pad around $50 for the set.
Because of the bleeder position the caliper is going to be side specific.

Between you and me, if I was looking at an upgrade to disc's on a bug I wouldn't pass on a set of single pin calipers. I'm not sure how much more pad surface exists between a single pin and dual pin but could possibly be mitigated with an aggressive pad to compensate.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

^^^Good plan plus a good price from EIS!
A month or so I sold my og set (2) of single pin calipers, with rebuild kits, and stock spindles and clean backing plates....for $50.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

DSVW wrote:
Thank you all for your advice. I will buy the other 2 pin. Is the single pin worth anything. It works perfectly. Will probably put up on ebay. I just bought brand new brakes for the single pin calipers Can't send those back because I sprayed with anti squeal before realizing what I had in front of me. Any idea what they would be worth as a package?

Since you have the single pin parts, why don't you buy a single pin calliper and use them? You had one single pin calliper for years with no issues so having two should be fine.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Brake parts should always be replaced on both sides at the same time. Why wonder if your old caliper is going to fail an a few mo.s? Failed brake can = totaled Ghia, IT'S NOT WORTH SAVING A FEW $$.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Brake parts should always be replaced on both sides at the same time. Why wonder if your old caliper is going to fail an a few mo.s? Failed brake can = totaled Ghia, IT'S NOT WORTH SAVING A FEW $$.

You can put a kit into callipers of different ages at the same time to refurbish them and that will be fine. The calliper itself is just a casting and pistons so as long as they are not corroded you don't need to replace them both at the same time.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

You can put a kit into callipers of different ages at the same time to refurbish them and that will be fine. The calliper itself is just a casting and pistons so as long as they are not corroded you don't need to replace them both at the same time.

Put a kit in ONLY if there is NO pitting and the bore is not worn, but since most people don't have the means to measure the bore and piston or the time and skill to rebuild one correctly it is best to just buy new ones and not worry for the next 10 years.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Yeah, agree with c21. What might have happened is someone replaced a possible bad caliper with the replacement caliper which is the two-pin. I believe many of the two-pin calipers are a type 3 caliper which is a 42mm piston vs the ghia caliper at 40mm.

All the new calipers are 42mm for either type 3 or ghia.
The unique thing about the ghia front brakes is all 3 caliper designs will bolt on to any of the spindles and center themselves onto the rotor as the rotor's are all the same. The bay bus' and type 3's do not share this ability to swap calipers, and/or brake parts.

As I recall the first few years (66-70) had an ATE 1 pin caliper. The next few years (71-73) had the ATE 2 pin caliper. Finally the final two years (73-74) used the Girling caliper. They were all 40mm pistons.

My friends '74 Ghia vert had the calipers replaced with the replacement Varga's. I believe these are a 42mm piston caliper for both the ghia's and early type 3's. I am using Mintex pads here and the car stops phenomenally.

My rational for all this type is to inform you of some of the differences and options. Looking at your gallery pic shows me a very nice ghia that is worthy of proper planning here. Obviously the prior owner wasn't into correctness.

I think your options are to:
1- Locate some OG ghia, or type 3, 1 pin or 2 pin calipers and rebuild them.
2- Buy a pair of replacement calipers such as these here. They are Chinese clones of the brazil vargas
http://www.eisparts.com/311615107_108.html
3- See what is available from the normal FLAPS stores.

Something to consider with the ATE vs Varga, to include the china version, is the pin retention hardware is different between the two manufacturers.
Ray Greenwood has a very hardcore rebuild tutorial that he has and is worthy of reading.

Hope this helps, Bill.

Any chance Bill or anyone else that you could post up a link to the Ray Greenwood article about the "hardcore rebuild tutorial" of all of us? I'd like to read that...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Hi. Here it is Bill:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658176&highlight=

Enjoy.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Single or double pin front brake caliper Reply with quote

Holy crap that is detailed, I don't remember it being that complicated when I rebuilt the last pair of callipers I did.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: