Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum two piece cases
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollandbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

How do you see that?
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

hollandbug wrote:
How do you see that?

I've been building these engines for over 40+ years. I know what I know.... There are a couple of clues that let me know that this is a magnesium block without seeing it in person. The date cast tells me that this block was cast on the 3rd week of Jan. 1951. Right about the time when VW switched to magnesium from aluminum. Granted: I have seen magnesium blocks BEFORE Jan. 1951 also but the wasn't the norm based on what I've typically seen. Besides, you can see the oxidation starting to form on the gen. stand and traces of the chem. treatment still visible.... ah-ite Wink

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

the reason for the switch was the mag is much eazer to cast and much eazer to machine. eazy=$$$ eazy also=time ..witch =$
most people dont know theoil gallys in most engines are machined(drilled) the mag cases are cast in the case, thus there all tapered from the core rod's that are pulled out. thus many machining opps are deleated. mag also dosent require as much or high grade of cutting fluid. and to farther the bennifit of the mag cases, after work at the bon fire they have fireworks!!!
hollandbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum two piece cases Reply with quote

Thanks . 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: