Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodysurfing411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

Greetings my friends,I am the proud owner of a 71/72 411 wagon that was T-boned by a off kilter women with a prius.A witness said she was petting her cat that was on the dash when she blew thru a stop sign.We later saw the poor cat wedged under the seat so scared she got her head stuck trying to hide.So now the ?,are the doors the same on type 3,and 4 squarebacks,looking to replace with what fits.And if I was to cut out the center panel, could the drivers side doors and frame door jams from a four door fit between the front fender,and rear 1/4 panel.Just need some insight to help make the classic not so embarrassing to drive without dumping total repair money into it.Since I bought it back as part of the settlement cause I didn't want to see it sent to the scrapers,and it still drives,and looks good on the other side.I want to get as much feedback even if you think it's a hopeless cause.I'll post some pic tomarrow so you can get a better idea of what im dealing with.Thanks everyone[/img]
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

Sorry for the accident...

I think the only door you should be looking for is a foor from a 2-door 411/412. As far as I know the doors from 411 and 412 are interchangeable.
Type 3 door will not fit!
The 411/412 4-door front door is much shorter than the 2-door.

/Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

Lars is correct. Though....the two doors are some of the rarest in North America. You would probably be best to keep looking for a door from a wagon.

The wagon doors and the doors of the two door are functionally identical. There are some very very small differences that mainly have to do with the difference in 411 to 412.

There are no type 3 body parts that fit. Post some pictures please.

Evaluate the car carefully for driving. It is a uni-body and has front and rear crash cells/crumple zones.

The door jambs, sills and rear fenders are unique to each car and are different from 411 to 412.

Rear wagon fenders have louvers to feed the engine. The quarter panel is different underneath.

The Four doors have longer rear fenders with no louvers and two doors have shorter rear fenders with no louvers. All have unique sheet metal underneath.

Sorry for your accident. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

Sorry for your accident. Sounds like you weren't hurt, which must be a tribute to the engineering of the Type 4 cars.

Man, I drive a Prius, but I don't fit the profile. I drive fast, don't hypermile, don't hog the fast lane unless I am going faster than traffic, etc.

Sounds like this one fits the Prius profile, however!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Sorry for your accident. Sounds like you weren't hurt, which must be a tribute to the engineering of the Type 4 cars.

Man, I drive a Prius, but I don't fit the profile. I drive fast, don't hypermile, don't hog the fast lane unless I am going faster than traffic, etc.

Sounds like this one fits the Prius profile, however!

Agree to that!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bodysurfing411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all the info,and concern.I only hurt when I look at was one of the best examples of a type 4, 411 that I've ever seen.Before the ax ident I was all proud and 2ant3d post some pics when I found the samba in a argues search for the rare front suspension parts,and a set of carbs.I'my a sucker for cars,and wagons that nobody else has (or wants)69 .Fiat 850 sedan,74 AMC Matador wagon,70 Javelin,and so on and so on.I'll post pics soon for some brotherly brain storming on how to go about the resurrection of the 411.I got lucky,the uni body held up just fine thanks to the solid design,and fine German steel the door was made of.This car will once again make me proud ,and make me happy I kept it out of the crusher with some luck,and help from the samba clan.Thanks my brothers,pics tomarrow,and we'll go from there.Doors,and jams are on my wish list near or as close Orange county,California as possible. Thanks again,pics coming,Steven
bodysurfing411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

Thats going to be VERY hard to fic.

You will need to cut out the B-pillar up to the roof, the lower sill and some bits and pieces.

A serious body shop may be able to stretch some of that.....but its going to take some serious welding.

We need a picture of the front fenxer to door joint area. Ray
Guam411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 411 T- boned by a prius need some advise Reply with quote

How's the car doing? If you are going to part out I could use some parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: