Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wild1rose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

I traded my 1995 Chevy Blazer 4 wheel drive fo a 1998 Volkswagon VW Beetle 3 days ago. The very first time I drove it I had a problem. But I did not think to much about it because it seemed like all I had to do is turn it off then back on and the problem as resolved temporarily anyway. I was traveling down the freeway just Going 8 mile away from home to my pharmacy to pick up my medicine. On the way there my new bug list all power and it felt like it actualy died. So I pulled to the side of the road to gather my thoughts, I had just minutes before made the trade and I thought that they know they had a bad car and just wanted to trade me out of mine and give me there problem. I was almost toy exit so I limped it on to the pharmacy. After I left there I started I t up and it drove just like nothing had ever happened to it. So I was not to sad at that time I thought if it did it again I would just pull over turn it off and back on.

Well that was working out fine until today when I was returning hame from visiting a friend and when I pulled over to restart it acted like the battery was dead. I looked under the hood and the fuse box on top of the battery cover was melted on one side and I disn't know why. After sitting there for a few minutes it started back up again and I barly made it home. Now I am lost because I am on disibility and don't get much money abd from what I have read today it sounds like I am going to need to spend a whole lot of money on this car and u just needed a car that got better gas mileage to commut to school and back home. I need to know how I can fix it problem with minimal funds real soon cuz school starts on September 25th. 2017 can someone please tell me what I should do?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

Take it back and demand your Blazer back. Or make them fix it. Those years of New Beetles (or even VW's) were dark times for VW electrics, might as well have been British Lucas electrics.

If you need something for better mpg's, reliability and need to trade the Blazer for it, look for domestic or japanese.
wild1rose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply, but I have no way to contact them it was a straight across trade and we met over a buy and sell app on facebook. But all is okay I have a lady caregiver and her friend fixes VW's all the time and he is going to bring over his code reader and see what he can do yo help me. It might cost a little yo get things right but I really enjoyed it even though I only got to drive it for 4 days. I am feeling positive about the whole situation and I am hoping for a not to expensive fix. For a small car I didn't feel like u was crammed into it. An f I am 5'10" do it is hard for me to find small cars that I am comfortable in. Wish me luck I'm sure I'll be ok and thanks for your reply.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

Did you make a big mistake? Well the VW Beetle are not known to be reliable and unless you work on them yourself, it's not going to cheap to fix.

Next time, Google search what you want to trade/buy.
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Take it back and demand your Blazer back. Or make them fix it. Those years of New Beetles (or even VW's) were dark times for VW electrics, might as well have been British Lucas electrics.

If you need something for better mpg's, reliability and need to trade the Blazer for it, look for domestic or japanese.

This is exactly what I'd have written and I had a 98 TDI beetle. It was, hands down, the worst car I've ever owned. RUN AWAY !
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

I saw another thread that said the TDI runs forever.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I saw another thread that said the TDI runs forever.

Normally they do. The early Beetle ones had a weakness in the motor mounts. They broke and dropped on the turning timing belt. Mine blew up at 70,000 miles.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

Trade it for a '98 Honda Civic.
wild1rose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

It's kinda to late for that I just need all the parts I can get donated to me I am just trying to get to school each day for a reasonable amount of gas. I do not have any money left after paying for classes and will have to wait another whole year if I have to cancel because I cannot get there. School is 50 miles a day round trip. Please can anyon er help me?
Karmannut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

try here http://newbeetle.org/forums/ won't be negative like here
Air and Water do mix!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

Were the same year Golf and Jetta as problematic?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

1998 was 19 years ago!
Yes these cars had issues, my 1999 New Beetle 1.8t was the least reliable water cooled VW I have owned.
Any 19 year old used cars are is a gamble, but take it day by day.
Fix today's problem, and then see how it goes.
Back in the '70's and '80's I had a VW Squareback I took over from my sister,
those were fuel injected, and had a horrible reputation for breaking down.
I was obsessive about General maintenance, and replaced a leaking fuel pump once,
was the extent of the work I did on that car for 9 years I had it.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a vw beetle, did I make a big mistake. Reply with quote

I had Beetles, Buses, Type 3's and Ghias. All bought used. Typical maintenance items and I kept my family on wheels from 1974 to 1990. Then came some Rabbits, Jetta's and Dashers. Again used. Even a Fox(that was new). Same story. Never had a lick of work done to any of them by anyone but myself. But these newer VW cars scare me. I just read a thread about the New Beetle Cabrio problems. Expensive and terrifying. Thank you OP for this thread. I learned a lot.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: