Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hot cool vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Running 10-30 oil in new 1915 motor, when cold oil pressure is at 60 lbs. when motor heats up to 180 deg the oil pressure drops to 20 lbs.
Should I be using a heavier weight oil?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: oil preasure Reply with quote

Your oil pressure is fine.

Remember for every 1K in rpm you should gain 10 psi of oil pressure.

Be careful with 60 psi cold. Too much accelerator at startup and you can burst a cooler. Ask me how I know Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: oil preasure Reply with quote

Hi.
There are so many variables with oil pressure/overheating, etc.
Even though your engine is not stock this VW standard should apply.
With 30 wt oil, 160 degrees temp, at 2500rpm the minimum oil pressure is 28psi and the optimum/new spec is 42psi.
With this test variables as oil viscosity and temp are set. It is a good test.
It does parallel the 10psi per 1000rpm.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Is your current 10w-30 have sufficient additives for new breakin procedures? Some builders have even suggested a 20 wt oil for this.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: oil preasure Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Be careful with 60 psi cold. Too much accelerator at startup and you can burst a cooler. Ask me how I know Shocked

O.K., I'll bite----------how do you know? Confused
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: oil preasure Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

O.K., I'll bite----------how do you know? Confused

Over pressured two coolers on a fresh 1776 I built twenty years ago. Used too thick of oil and at the hit of the key. Heard a faint pop and saw oil running out under the engine.

Went to lighter oil and never looked back.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: oil preasure Reply with quote

Same here. 40 years ago finished my first non-oem motor.
DDS oil pump, full flow, Val 50wt Racing Oil, and a Rabbit Diesel oil filter (it was the only filter available at the time).
Boy, that pump can flow some oil! Installed a Fram HP1 and that cured it. Mind you this was the buggy mentality back then.
hot cool vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: oil preasure Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice, I feel better now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: oil preasure Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

The pressure relief valve bypasses the cooler when the engine is cold, unless yours got stuck.

The test procedure is for oil temp is to be at 120 degrees, oil is straight 20W and oil pressure should be minimum 7psi at idle and minimum 28psi at 2,500 rpm. This is for both 36 & 40 hp. 1200'a and 1300. This also applies to 1966-1978 1200's with the large oil pump.
These spec's are not from Bentley, they are from the workshop manuals directly from VW school.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Nothing to do with your issue but you mentioned weight, does your oil have zinc in it?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

My stock 1600 had overheating problems until I lowered the oil pressure to factory specs. Don't always think high oil pressure is a good thing.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Thick oil makes the engine work harder pushing it. Harder means hotter.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
My stock 1600 had overheating problems until I lowered the oil pressure to factory specs. Don't always think high oil pressure is a good thing.

when pressure is too high, the oil cooler is bypassed, thus oil is hotter.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Thick oil makes harder pushing it.
Harder
hotter.

Have you been speaking with Cusser?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Thick oil makes harder pushing it.
Harder
hotter.

Have you been speaking with Cusser?

true there is more heat spent in friction in pushing thicker fluid more energy consumed to push it resulting in heat. but the second factor is the vw oil cooler bypass pressure valve, at high pressure, cooler is bypassed. thus oil gets hotter with no flow thru the cooler. If viscosity remains too high to activate the pressure valve the thicker oil can reach much higher temperatures than a thinner oil.

Either way, factory recommeneded wieghts and the multi vis equivelents should used on stock enignes. The pressure valve spring can be changed, plunger length altered,
etc..... to alter its opening pressure this would seem to be a prudent change if one uses oil types outside the factory limits. and of course upon rebuilding even a stock motor, the spring, plunger, screw plug and bore of the pressure valve should be checked to make sure they are the correct parts and not worn.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure Reply with quote

I'll never use an incorrect pressure relief spring again. I put one in by mistake once and the resulting oil pressure was high enough to provide too much oil at the pulley end of the crank, overpowering the oil slinger on the crank and the return threads on the stock pulley and causing oil to get slung all over the engine. (this was a single-relief engine, I should add. I don't think that would have happened on dual relief)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: