Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flowing assembled engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

Hey guys I did a few searches and didn't get the answers I was looking for. I'll be pulling my engine for some other work and wanted to FF it at the same time. Every tutorial I've read says to pull all the plugs for the oil galleries which makes sense for cleaning and scrubbing a torn down block. Is there any reason I can't just tap the hole for the return line and the oil pump plug since I won't be tearing the engine down?

Thanks everyone. NAES
SBS #00
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

If you know how to be careful, keep pressure (oil, air) up to keep bits out (grease), yes, it can be done, Gene Berg had a description of the procedure.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

Why not just buy an In/Out oil pump? CB sells them...no machining required
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

Why not just buy an In/Out oil pump? CB sells them...no machining required

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1799.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

I've seen articles on how to full flow with pressure before but need to review it again. I didn't see anything on the Berg site so if you have a link I would definitely appreciate it.

As for the in/out covers, I don't think that's the best way to go from the reading I've done. I have the tools, ability and time to tap it so I would much rather go that route. Thank you though.

NAES
SBS #00
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1346846#1346846

Max
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

What type of engine do you have? The CB Maxi pumps are good, unless you have a race engine reving over 7000rpms
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

He seems pretty clear on what he want to do ...

Max
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

True, I guess the bottom line is it can be done

I wouldn't take the risk when there are other options, however, the OP has obviously looked into it.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies everyone and the link. I'll be sure to post up how everything goes.

NAES
SBS #00
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

Just thinkin' out loud here...but if I were to attempt it, I'd try to figure out a way to tap it with the case/engine rotated on end so that gravity would tend to pull chips toward the floor. Of course, if you're using a mill or drill press to index your tap handle, this option would be out of the question.

I frequently spend more time making up some tooling for the job than the time it takes to actually DO the job. If pressed to, I'd fab a tool which jigs off of the case to keep the tap handle indexed over the gallery, then hang the case off some 2x4's bridged across some saw horses to point the ass-end to the ground. Then I'd wrap some fine metal wire around a paper wad, and stuff it in the hole to block the port, leaving a short tail on the wire to which a long-nosed plier could be used to retrieve it afterwards, and then tap away.

Another slick idea to block that main gallery: feed a thin, stiff wire lengthwise through the center of a foam ear plug, leaving a short tail off the end for grabbing/retrieval, and roll it up and insert the ear plug into the gallery...it expands in place just enough to hold and then start tapping. Too small an ear plug may not expand enough, and the inner end of the wire would have to be balled or bent in a flat form to ensure that the wire doesn't pull out leaving the ear plug stuck in the gallery. Heating the stiff wire with a torch will help it burn right through the center of an ear plug. I use ear plugs to block numerous holes on the case all the time.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

Sure it can be done- but if you mess it up you will tear the engine.

The debris will be all over inside the oil and galleys. This procedure is best done while the case is apart.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

Many people run these with good success...

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1791.htm

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

I ran the maxi 4 from CB for about 30 years.
The port size in the cover seemed sufficient. But the 1/4 npt fitting size severely restricted it, at least visually, no flow data.
I had counter bored the outlet threads to a larger size so that the required matching fitting did not reduce passage size.
It lived a long and hard life mostly below 6500 intended rpm. It did accidentally get over reved a lot. Sometimes I would hit valve float before I had enough time to stick the next gear. Oil never seemed to be a problem with modified cover.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Full flowing assembled engine Reply with quote

I've done it a bunch of times ,you need a long air nozzle to blow out the chips , placed in far enough , they all come out Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: