Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog lights
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papas badbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Fog lights Reply with quote

How is everyone wiring up fog lights on there bugs and what are you doing for a switch (location). Thank ...
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights Reply with quote

I bent a piece of flat stock aluminum into an L shape and mounted an LED lighted toggle switch just to the left of my knee under the dash. It was not in the way, was clearly visible and did not muck up the original dash.
I used a very low draw LED single fog light so I wired it direct to an" ignition on hot fuse". ( If I was using a high amperage light set I would have wired in a relay direct from the battery)

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights Reply with quote

I ran a separate power wire from the battery to power the lights...did not want to strain the old wiring. Used a relay and switch. Mounted the switch like the rear window defogger switch.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights Reply with quote

I just mounted a set of fog lights in my 74 Thing. Not a Beetle, but basically the same process.

I installed a small fuse box in the trunk and ran a power wire from the battery. I installed a fuse box because I also installed aftermarket horns.

I also installed a relay and wired the lights up so I could use them as daytime running lights. I wired them through the ignition so the lights only come on when the ignition is turned to the on position.

By wiring it this way I can never accidentally leave my fog lights on after I park my Thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: