Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no parking lights front or back
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

so...... I originally thought it might be the headlight switch, so i replaced it and still the same behavior.

first position on my headlight switch and i get nothing in the front and nothing in the back. second position i get headlights but no rear lights. All my blinkers and flashers are working as they should. i've checked numerous grounds everywhere and can't seem to find anything wrong there.. I'm stumped after many hours of fiddling.

hoping somebody here might have suggestions.

btw, all my fuse connections appear to be solid so i don't think it's anything there.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

What year car?
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

I'm gonna be that guy...I'm sure you have thought of this, but did you 'rotate' your fuses?
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

lol...
i knew i forgot something. 69 squareback. originally fuel injection converted to carbs.

I absolutely rotated the fuses! one of the first things i tried. was looking for bad connections.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sixty66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

If everything is wired correctly, then I'd suggest pulling the headlight and tailight housings and scrubbing all the connections and bulb bases with fine steel wool. Whenever the lights act buggy, it's always a poor connection somewhere. Corrosion is a matter of when, not if.
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

Sixty66 wrote:
If everything is wired correctly, then I'd suggest pulling the headlight and tailight housings and scrubbing all the connections and bulb bases with fine steel wool. Whenever the lights act buggy, it's always a poor connection somewhere. Corrosion is a matter of when, not if.

would one bad connection affect all four lights though?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

benson_1331 wrote:
would one bad connection affect all four lights though?

It would if it's the wire coming off terminal 58 on the headlight switch. That wire powers your parking lights and tail lights. Make sure it's well-connected, at the headlight switch and at the fuse box. The wiring diagram shows it as a grey wire:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have you worked under the dash recently, and possibly knocked it loose?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

Yeah first thing (before replacing headlight switch) would be to at least put a meter or test light on terminal 58 at the headlight switch. See if you get 12v on that terminal when the switch is pulled out to the first stop.

If not, then it would seem to be a problem with the switch.

If you do get 12v at terminal 58 but still no lights downstream then follow that wire down to the fuse box and see what's up. It gets split at the fuse box so if all 4 are out I would expect the problem to be before or at the fuse box.

Does the parking light indicator in the dash work? That is powered off terminal 57 on the headlight switch.
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

I have indeed done some work under the dash. specifically trying to locate this current problem with the parking lights. All the wiring seems tight and well connected. I'll see if i'm getting power at terminal 58 when i get home from work today. And yeah, i have power to the parking light indicator on the dash.

thanks for all the input.
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: no parking lights front or back Reply with quote

So after getting 12V from the switch to the fuse block, i was blowing fuses left and right. took some steel wool to the terminals on the block and wallah... All my lights are working as they should. pretty psyched. after about a year of owning this thing i'm finally ready to get it on the road and enjoy it.

thanks again everybody.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: