Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benzene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

The little box on my 79 is leaking oil around the gasket and the small device mounted to the black box. Any suggestions on parts gaskets?
Also I have a 74 for some parts it has one that is the same except
for the device mounted to it can these to be interchangable?
What is the story on this part there is no info in any of my manuals
or most of the sites I frequent? I can post pictures if need be.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cork gasket in there that goes bad after 20 years or so. Take the bale off and look at yours.

I put a new one on and put a tiny tiny tiny amount of Hylo mar to keep it there after I cleaned the metal to a shine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benzene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: gasket Reply with quote

Do you know were to get the gasket?
Also does your breather have a small part mounted to the top which the
hose connects to. This is leaking where it mounts to the breather.
jecontreras14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

Did you find the part# for the gaskt

Thanks
James
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

jecontreras14 wrote:
Did you find the part# for the gaskt

Thanks
James

jecontreras14 wrote:
I'm finding a leak from the breather breather box.... I can't seem to find the gasket.... anyone have the part#....???

Thanks
James

021 115 487
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

do not clean the inside of the black plastic breather. You cannot use the other style if you still have fuel injection.
OldBlindDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
do not clean the inside of the black plastic breather. You cannot use the other style if you still have fuel injection.

Care to elaborate on why to “ not clean” the plastic component? I literally just did this and now you have me nervous.

Kenn

'71 Campmobile (first car I ever bought) I wonder where that lil lady is today?
'76 Baja beetle. (learned to "fix on the fly")
'79 Rivi Camper "Lazlo" ( the one that brought me back in after 15 years off)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

OldBlindDog wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Care to elaborate on why to “ not clean” the plastic component? I literally just did this and now you have me nervous.

Well for one I wrote do not clean the INSIDE. Most carb cleaning solvents that get on the diaphragm inside it instantly dissolve the diaphragm. Suck on the small hole on the top using a small piece of rubber hose. If it holds a vacuum it is good. If not the diaphragm is perforated.
OldBlindDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

Appreciate the clarification. I opened it up and examined the diaphragm, and cleaned the body with mild detergent ( mostly water). I am reassembling it today and will be checking the vacuum. Thanks for the follow up!

I had a minor fire which burned my FI harness 🤬 so I took the opportunity to refresh the top half of the motor. Your thread on the rebuild has been a god sent for my limited knowledge. Much appreciated!

Kenn

'71 Campmobile (first car I ever bought) I wonder where that lil lady is today?
'76 Baja beetle. (learned to "fix on the fly")
'79 Rivi Camper "Lazlo" ( the one that brought me back in after 15 years off)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

OldBlindDog wrote:
Appreciate the clarification. I opened it up and examined the diaphragm, and cleaned the body with mild detergent ( mostly water). I am reassembling it today and will be checking the vacuum. Thanks for the follow up!

I had a minor fire which burned my FI harness 🤬 so I took the opportunity to refresh the top half of the motor. Your thread on the rebuild has been a god sent for my limited knowledge. Much appreciated!

That is fine, just be sure to seal it well so the top can't pop off.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: oil crankcase breather 1979 FI bus Reply with quote

You can get a new harness from Kyle
http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com/

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: