Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of my clips that hold the cap on will not stay in place in the mounting piece. Is there anyway to repair this? Also, can anyone tell me what the two plugs are for in the bottom of the distributor that have a special three pointed screw in them? I can see nothing inside the distributor that needs access from the holes and I have never seen a tool that would fit the screwed plugs. It is a 205K that I have disassembled to clean and lubricate. Thanks.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

the clip will stay in place when it's clipped to a cap. you could gently peen in those little side areas when the arm is installed, but it's a crap design to begin with.

those are vents / spark & flame restrictors. they are not screwed in. they are a press fit. as long as air passes through them you're fine. spray some carb cleaner through them from the inside.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

You could probably make a clip retainer with a small nut bolt and some larger diameter washers. Like the middle example here, only with larger diameter washers (or cut out pieces of flat steel shaped to fit what's left of that flange)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

On that model there's no real way to 'repair" it. There's not enough material to drill holes and insert a pin.

As Hazetguy said, just stick the clip into the body and snap it on the cap. There will be enough tension to hold the cap in place. The only difference is the clip will fall off when you remove he cap.

And those are ozone vents.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Can't agree with Glenn on the above. I repair the bosses for the clips all the time by drilling a pair of holes and then insert a split pin to hold the clip in place. When the bosses (flange) is as eroded as that one in the pic I canibalise them for parts. Looks like the other side has enough "meat" to repair if it ever needed it.

The ozone vents can be removed from the body easily with a light tap from the proper sized punch. Typically this is not necessary.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

What is the purpose of the ozone vents? Casey
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Sorry Tim, but here's a picture that shows the difference between 2 different models.

A 205T is on the left and it can be repaired by drilling new holes and putting a pin in to hold the clip. On the right is a 205K and there's not really any "meat" where you can drill a hole for a pin.

They are two different models.

tasb wrote:
When the bosses (flange) is as eroded as that one in the pic I canibalise them for parts.

He's looking to still use it and not just as parts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
What is the purpose of the ozone vents? Casey

Ozone is a oxidizer and can explode when ignited by a spark.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

There's as much variation on the bosses and erosion for the clips as there are people on the planet; you can't say one is a 113 T model and another is a 113 K in this case. The one I posted above is of a 111 S similar to a 111 N.

Here's a 0 231 137 009/ 113 905 205 K with plenty of meat on it for drilling a hole for repair, if needed. It looks the same as the 113 905 205 T in your above pic, Glenn. I've repaired a whole lot of 113 905 205 K's in this way.

Heck, there's even dimples for a drill bit pilot! There are two different designs of clips that were in use during the late 1960's/early 70's. I've looked at enough of these to know that there is no rhyme or reason to when one clip design was used over the other. The clip design has nothing to do with the mounting bosses.

tasb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Here are the two cap clip designs, both of them are on 113 905 205 T's that are only a couple of months apart in production. The one on the right has a little pigtail on the end the one on the left does not.

the

Both of them have plenty of meat on the clip bosses. FWIW the type III distributors of this vintage have missing and eroded cap clip bosses far more frequently than the other models. I think it has something to do with the way the clip is pried on with the pancake engines.

Kinda reminds me of the early cast iron wire vs. spring cap clip debate for the 1950's distributors. Except this current issue is minutia.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Sorry Tim, but here's a picture that shows the difference between 2 different models.

A 205T is on the left and it can be repaired by drilling new holes and putting a pin in to hold the clip. On the right is a 205K and there's not really any "meat" where you can drill a hole for a pin.

They are two different models.

tasb wrote:
When the bosses (flange) is as eroded as that one in the pic I canibalise them for parts.

He's looking to still use it and not just as parts.

tasb, The clip mounting area is totally different on the one on the right, which Glenn is picturing than the one your describing for drilling a pin.
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

No, not totally different just eroded. There were two different ways to peen or pinch the cap clips in use back then, but otherwise the same boss casting. In the last pic I posted you can clearly see the bosses are the same but the fixing method is different.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

The 205K, M and T are so common, plentiful and inexpensive that I don't bother restoring them when I have a core that has issues like the OP's. I rob it for parts if they are good.

Ironically, my 67 bugs 205K distributor in my bug I restored a few years ago. One of the clips falls off like the OP's due to the same reason. Maybe I should actually restore and keep another 67 205K without clip securing issues on the body. Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Bill, you can PM me if you would like another 113 905 205 K core with good bosses to work with. Smile I have over 200 cores of the 113 905 205 K, M,T to sort through and here is what I have found- learned something new today! as mentioned by Jon (hazetguy) above, the design is not superior thinking.

On 113 905 205 K's the boss was peen pinched across the top on some. These are highly prone to erosion and clips coming loose. Depending upon how badly eroded the boss is the area can/cannot be repaired. Other 113 K's were peened in the sides of the boss. These seem less prone to erosion of the aluminum and just as above depending upon how badly they are eroded can/cannot be repaired.

Even the side peened bosses can erode if abused.

I have a smaller number of 113 905 205 M cores. They all appear to be peened in the sides of the boss. Depending upon how badly they are eroded can/cannot be repaired.

My 113 905 205 T cores have two fixing approaches. The units with the pigtail at the end of the clip are peened across the top similar to the (early?) 113 K's but the indentation is not as deep and wider. The remaining 113 T's are fixed with the sides being peened like the earlier distributors. These have clips that lack the pigtail. Pics to follow tomorrow. It's getting late.#Sleep

Last edited by tasb on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Bill, you can PM me if you would like another 113 905 205 K core with good bosses to work with. Smile

Thanks Tim. I have some good cores as well, I just haven't made it a priority to restore another K for my personal 67. The distributor on the engine was in fantastic condition other than that clip boss. Like someone mentioned already, it's not a big deal to simply put the distributor cap clip in the correct position at the bottom of the distributor and then snap it on the cap. Wink

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

I still think that what was shown in the original poster's photo, that distributor still had enough "meat" left for what I suggested. If I owned it, I would have already attempted to do what I said.

Not that it really matters that much, this is mostly a "convenience" thing.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

Not that it really matters that much, this is mostly a "convenience" thing.

Exactly Andy

The only issue is when you restore these distributors and resell them. I know I wouldn't even consider buying a restored one with this clip issue. That is why these go into the strip for parts pile.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The only issue is when you restore these distributors and resell them. I know I wouldn't even consider buying a restored one with this clip issue. That is why these go into the strip for parts pile.

Agreed, I have a few cores that the clips are not retained. But some can be fixed, if there's enough "meet" left to put in a pin.

Vacuum canisters are a bigger problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Thanks all for the education. I would never had guessed that the plugs in the bottom were for ventilation to prevent ozone accumulation. It does seem like it is an overly complicated part to achieve this purpose. The design of the clip retainer boss is not up to par with the typical German design. It looks like it was not designed for a long life since it uses a peened edge to retain the clip. Apparently this design was improved later on. It is true that the clip is held in place even when this boss is worn or broken but the problem I have with it is that it is on the side closest to the fuel pump and when the clip fails off it is sometimes hard to find it to put it back on and the space is tight on that side...Steve
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Cap Clip and Bottom Plugs Question Reply with quote

Not real sure what the swap market is like in Tennessee, I used to run old VW's back and forth between Grand Rapids, MI and Florence AL using Tennessee backroads bootlegger style in the late 70's early 80's. As stated above finding a better core to work with shouldn't be too problematic.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: