Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Bay Bumper Guard fit
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
asdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking to mount a pair of early bay bumper guards from Just Kampers to my front bumper but they prevent the bumper from mounting as they hit the body before the bumper mount bolt holes line up. Has anyone had this issue? I would not doubt if the front of the bus has been hit or bumped into something before.. I'm thinking the easiest way to remedy this is to grind the guards down until they fit? It is the top half of the guard that is hitting the body, but not by a lot. The driver side is worse than the passenger side.. and considering the bondo around the driver turn signal, it furthers my suspicion that that side was hit at some point in it's life.

Any tips or experiences?

Thanks!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talkig about over-riders? You bought new ones, nice. I got mine from a member on this site. Anyway, I ran into the same problem. I removed the bumper brackets from the bus, put them in the vise and flattened them out a bit. They cleared after that. Here's a pic just after I installed mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had them when I first got my Bus and they dented the nose.
asdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks richparker for the quick reply! Yes, I was referring to the overriders exactly as you show. Great idea about flattening out the bumper brackets, I will try that out.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I had them when I first got my Bus and they dented the nose.

^^^^^^^this

on a good day, they are super close to the nose.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are discussing the bus in your avatar pic you'll have to unbend the bumper first. From here it looks like the brackets are tweaked from an oldschool towtruck.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont personally like them and I will be selling mine. If anyone is interested PM me. They were painted with what looks like spray paint at some point.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

I've recently purchased 4 ea. bumper guards (over riders) from West Coast Metric to be installed on a customers 1971 bus. Simple answer is that they have to be cut in order to fit.

Here's a picture of my own bus with original over riders. You can see the aftermarket one held in place behind the OEM

Here's the aftermarket lined up

This morning I sawed off 1/2 inch. Later, we'll see how it turns out. The thing is this should have been a simple job, and it's not.

Here's the nose but the rails have been shimmed down and they almost hit. Those haven't been cut, yet.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

Make sure the bumper mounting brackets have not been pushed in or bent.
Tcash
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

Tim, maybe the pics don't show it clearly enough but when held up together, the aftermarket guard is clearly 1/2" too big.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeSoCal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

I'm looking for a set of these (front and rear) for my 71. It's so frusterating to hear that they cannot copy the original design exactly. Are there any aftermarket ones out there with the right angle to avoid hitting the nose? The vendors should have returned all of them instead of accepting and selling. That's bad business and I have a feeling all of them out there are made by the same people.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

my OE ones I pulled off of my single cab were just like the aftermarket ones pictured. straight across the back.

as I said earlier....they are stupid close to the body. now, mine were VWoA and there is a chance they had a couple of different manufacturers of them, but every one I have seen has been straight in the back. I sold 1 set and had a couple of dinged up ones. I may have shit canned them, but I will look to see if I have any photos.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

Yes, there is no doubt that they sit close to the nose and are just for like looks. I would imagine that most bus owners are careful out on the road and doing their part to avoid accidents. I have the spare on my nose, that’s causing more damage the the overriders that aren’t even touching it. Also, I’m pretty sure with with size of the cars, trucks, suvs and crossovers these days my tire is gonna be the first thing that gets hit.
’65 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I’m pretty sure with with size of the cars, trucks, suvs and crossovers these days my tire is gonna be the first thing that gets hit.

Yep Rich you’re right, but the bumper guards look great.

Random thought and off topic:
IMHO, You gotta a better chance in a crash with a 2017 Chevy Suburban then a 1972 Chevy Suburban. Not implying overriders help in a crash. Seen some nasty bus accidents Stu, Colin, and more. They walked away. Makes me think we are better protected now by modern car crumple zones then back in the day when our buses were new. Back in 1989 we smashed into a 1972 Ford LTD (who ran a red light) we were doing 55 in my buddy’s new 89 Jetta. We folded up like an accordion. We walked away with bruises. The LTD drove away. Guess I’m just being optimistic our buses benefit from other modern cars safety improvements. I still have the rad Technics component stereo system from the settlement Cool Laughing
First crumple zone in a production car was the 1967 Mercedes Heckflosse.
(Sorry guys for my rambling on and TMI) Shocked don’t want this to hijack.

Now back to more bumper guard talk.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MikeSoCal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'm only looking to get these for looks. If I was to crash I would have much bigger concerns (like my safety). If anyone has any OG ones they are looking to sell, please let me know. There are some remade in fiberglass in the classifieds that would even work. Anyone have any experience with those?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Bay Bumper Guard fit Reply with quote

The mess up your bumpers and can dent your nose.

I had em but when I had my Bus re-done I left them off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: