Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuilding calipers - need the small gaskets between the halves
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: rebuilding calipers - need the small gaskets between the halves Reply with quote

1974 KG Coupe - rebuilding front brake calipers. Ordered rebuild kit for two calipers from KGPR; brand name FTE. It did not come with the small gaskets that go between the halves of the calipers. I really want to separate the halves, media blast and repaint.

Does anyone know where I can get those small gaskets?

And on the topics of calipers. Each caliper has two bleeder valves - top and bottom. I think that is so the calipers can be interchangeable right and left. But why are the bleeder valves different? One long and one short. Is one a dummy valve? I would like to replace them to be thorough but don't want to do something stupid...
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding calipers - need the small gaskets between the halves Reply with quote

Hi. You can contact Ray Greenwood here. He has mentioned them many times. I believe PMB has them. They rebuild calipers for the Porsche crowd.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html,

The lower bleeder is for "draining the system" as the Bentley mentions, I believe in the type 3 manual.

Hope this helps, Bill.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding calipers - need the small gaskets between the halves Reply with quote

It does help. I checked out Ray Greenwood's detailed post. Great info but he is rebuilding Porsche 914 calipers isn't he?

I found the little o-rings at PMB - they sell one kind without specifying type of car which leads me to wonder if all calipers use the same caliper half o-ring seal. More specifically will the PMB or Porsche seals at Pelican Parts fit my 1974 KG?

Bleeder valves - Makes sense the lower to be for draining… but why are they different? is the lower more of a plug rather than an actual bleeder valve? Would it matter if I replaced them with identical bleeder valves?

Thanks.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding calipers - need the small gaskets between the halves Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it matter if I replaced them with identical bleeder valves?

no problem.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding calipers - need the small gaskets between the halves Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
It does help. I checked out Ray Greenwood's detailed post. Great info but he is rebuilding Porsche 914 calipers isn't he?

I found the little o-rings at PMB - they sell one kind without specifying type of car which leads me to wonder if all calipers use the same caliper half o-ring seal. More specifically will the PMB or Porsche seals at Pelican Parts fit my 1974 KG?

Thanks.

Hi. Not sure what car model caliper he was rebuilding in that tutorial. It's possible this doesn't matter as I believe other than the piston dia the housing seal could be the same. Ray has mentioned the importance of splitting the housing halves thus requiring the seals you seek. I would just PM him and ask if he can show you the link for when he mentioned them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: