Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

Having failed to correct either of my two other main issues today I'm moving on to something else. I took the fan apart to clean it up and make it look new. I know the assembly order of these things, but I'm not sure which side the spring washer goes and can't find it in either the fiche or the Bentley.

Basically, does the little spring washer go on the side pictured here or on the other side. My gut and my recollection is that it goes on this side, but thought I should make sure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...this project is really kicking my ass right now. Will be great when it's done though.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

Follow up question. For something like this that I haven't seen a torque spec for how tight should they be?

Thanks!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

did you mark the fan so everything will be assembled in the same orientation as it was when you took it apart?
if not, chances are good that you'll now have an imbalanced fan assembly.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Having failed to correct either of my two other main issues today I'm moving on to something else. I took the fan apart to clean it up and make it look new. I know the assembly order of these things, but I'm not sure which side the spring washer goes and can't find it in either the fiche or the Bentley.

Basically, does the little spring washer go on the side pictured here or on the other side. My gut and my recollection is that it goes on this side, but thought I should make sure.

...this project is really kicking my ass right now. Will be great when it's done though.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Crying or Very sad ....You think its kicking your ass now?

You should not have disassembled it. It has tolerance/slop in the bolts...and the pulley has a balance weight in it. So....not only does the pulley need to go back on in the same position it was before you dissembled it....you will likely have to "true" the pulley fit to keep from having a nasty vibration.

The square stove nuts go on the pulley side and the curved washers go underneath them to keep them from rotating while you tighten the triple square bolt from the back.

The wavy lock washer goes under the head of the bolt. Get new lock washers.

I have been meaning to do a how to about truing these up.

If the engine is sitting on the bench and the fan housing is off....you can set up a dial indicator and bolt the fan to the crank...take the plugs out...turn, tap and adjust...turn...tap and adjust....it will take hours.

If you have a spare case and crank and bearings you can do it a little faster.

You can set up a shaft on a board that fits the crank snout recess tightly and do the work on a workbench. If you have a lathe...thats ideal. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

Mmm... I see. It looks like Ratwell provides the correct position to put it on, no? http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

Regarding the truing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be out of my league on this one. Is this something that shops do?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Mmm... I see. It looks like Ratwell provides the correct position to put it on, no? http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

Regarding the truing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be out of my league on this one. Is this something that shops do?

In a perfect world, you would've done that before you built the engine: case assembled, only the bare crank installed, using the old main bearings, bit o' slick oil on 'em, and lay it on end, pulley end up...there you have a free-wheeling vertical lathe. Then you jig an adjustable centering-guide bar onto the case, start your slow spin and feed the bar into the pulley until you're true. Snug hardware gently, slowly, keep rechecking for true, till yer all torqued up. Easy peasy.

How good are you at forensics, and how well did you clean things? Break out your best reader glasses, magnifier, whatever you have, and start examining the mounting interfaces between the parts, you know, where they mate. Often times, you can find unique depressions and markings that could only have come from the opposite part which had those same marks in mirrored image. I've not had to do it with a fan/pulley, but I've used that method countless times when I was in similar predicaments. It won't fix your alignment, but could get you close to being in balance again.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

I made up a mandrel to mount the hub in my big lathe, then I clamped a soapstone into the toolpost and marked the high spots in the pulley. If you leave the fasteners slightly loose you can bump the high spots down (shift the ring slightly on the fan, not bend) with a deadblow hammer until you reach the best average where the contact is reasonably even (mark/bump/wipe off/repeat until happy and then tighten the bolts).
The fan ring isn't 100% true on the outer periphery, you have to measure 1/2 way down in the pulley Vee so the belt runs true. It takes quite a bit of fiddling to reach that happy spot (hours).

You could do it on the engine using the starter with the plugs removed if you made up something to hold the soapstone or chalk accurately, tedious of course, but what are your options?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

Yeah, I may be oversimplifying the reality of it. After all, it's just stamped, right? Probably not as easy as working with precision parts Think
I still want to take advantage of an old engine I have access to, buy it and use it for this purpose, among other things.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

You got it, it's stamped, so the outer edge of the ring as well as the lip of the pulley are going to be off even when the belt area of the pulley is true, and the belt part is what counts.

You could have a local machine shop machine a taper on the end of a section of surface ground bar stock and tap it so you can mount the hub, then all you would need is V blocks to true the ring. Or have an adaptor made to mount the hub on an electric motor shaft or something else with bearings that spins true, in the end it's all about simulating the crank shaft.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Yeah, I may be oversimplifying the reality of it. After all, it's just stamped, right? Probably not as easy as working with precision parts Think
I still want to take advantage of an old engine I have access to, buy it and use it for this purpose, among other things.

Nope....You are no over simplifying. You and Busdaddy are apot on....just different methods of holding the fan and rotating it cleanly.

I have done it a couple of ways....as I mentioned and you noted a,similar method....you can use the case...or the case and crank.....as a "lathe" or a live center of sorts.

Its not "hard" to do this....just tedious and slow. The pulley is stamped of two pieces and welded in a jig....and outside of getting dinged up and bent.....its fairly precise. As BD noted....you usually have to get away from just the outside rim and get down inside the V of thr pulley.

The first few turns with the dial indicator is mapping the high and low spots of the aluminum part so you can see how much natural out of round it has. Thats your tolerance to stay inside. If the way the aluminum was machined is out of round by a few thousandths....that you will never get rid of.
The pulley then gets read to find its highest and lowest spot and gets moved by bumping it ...to match the aluminum fan section.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:

Yes that will get it lined back up.

I am going to say the washer goes on the bolt first. You do not want a bolt turning against bare aluminium or mag.

Those half round washers are balance weights. Look closely with a magnifying glass for witness marks of where they would have been on the fan.
If you can't figure out where they go. You will have to have the fan balanced at a speed shop.

The pulley needs to be trued to the fan.
Clatter trues a fan in his build.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853

The fiche says the bolts are 8 mm, that would be 14 ft. lbs

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

I did one of these - looked clean, was indexed perfectly and also was a huge Cluster-f. BusDaddy bailed me out. You can't get the fan to run true once it is taken apart unless you have a lathe and a jig to measure subtle differences in movement. There is so much slop in the parts and bolt holes that the pieces don't run true once apart. The fan belt was hopping like a bunny rabbit because of it - stressing the motor and alternator. It is too late to say don't take it apart but you will need a jig to put it together correctly. You can't run it until you true it - and maybe balance it too.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

I guess I'll start checking the Classifieds, unless someone knows someone who does this. I called up RIMCO in Orange, CA and the parts guy there didn't seem to believe in truing...
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

I took mine apart to clean it and put it back together the same way. It started to come loose within minutes and hit the shroud. The two parts need to be aligned perfectly, not just reassembled in the same order. I had to have my engine builder re-assemble it as I didn't have a lathe to spin it on.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

[quote="Tcash"]
surfbus23 wrote:

I am going to say the washer goes on the bolt first. You do not want a bolt turning against bare aluminium or mag.

Those half round washers are balance weights. Look closely with a magnifying glass for witness marks of where they would have been on the fan.
If you can't figure out where they go. You will have to have the fan balanced at a speed shop.

Good luck
Tcash

Well the half round washers are not "supposed" to be balance weights....but they end up being that way by default.

Here are the actual balance weights on two different fans.

I have found some fans that do not have a balance weight here because they probably did not need one. These are no different than wheels. Each one is a bit different in balance.

The real function of the large washer with the upturned edge is an anti-rotation washer for under the square stove nuts. The most common position I have seen it in is with the upturned flange against the outside rim but I have seen it work just as well when positioned on the inside flange.

It stops itself from rotating and stops the nut from rotating. see picture below.

But...by default...these washers and nuts DO affect balance....so they have to be put back into the same position from which they were removed.How much they affect balance....I do not know.

Here are the weights I had written down from one of the fans I bought....that was shipped to me dissembled.... Rolling Eyes

Square nuts:

5.2 grams
5.5 grams
5.1 grams
5.5 grams

Large washers with locking tab:

3.6 grams
3.6 grams
3.4 grams
3.2 grams

Wavy lock washers:

0.2 grams
0.2 grams
0.3 grams
0.3 grams

I did not weigh the bolts yet.

So just from this collection you could have a maximum balance issue from hardware alone of 0.9 grams.

Ray
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

Ok. So got a new fan instead of trying to reassemble the old one. This one had some strange holes in the top of it. Any ideas what these are for? They look machined.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

They drilled those holes to balance the fan.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

Thanks! Kind of what I was thinking. No one else to ask though. So the method for balancing changed at the factory or this was done after it left the factory?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan Reassembly Bolt/Washer/Nut order Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Thanks! Kind of what I was thinking. No one else to ask though. So the method for balancing changed at the factory or this was done after it left the factory?

The fan was probably rebalanced as part of an engine build. It should be okay to use, but unless you have your rotating assembly balanced as a unit it is hard to know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: