Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which one is the proper NSU type 32?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Never finished this discussion, what car is this? Any new info on it? Does everybody agree on it being a second Drauz car?

allsidius wrote:
Could this be the third car?

Comparing to the Reutter all-steel car, this looks much more similar in my view. I found it on a page that discussed the origins without offering too much new info except this picture.

The fenders look much more consistent to the blue Reutter prototype, the rear sides have no air inlets (but semaphores instead). If anyone knows any detail, please chime in!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Never finished this discussion, what car is this? Any new info on it? Does everybody agree on it being a second Drauz car?

allsidius wrote:

Comparing to the Reutter all-steel car, this looks much more similar in my view. I found it on a page that discussed the origins without offering too much new info except this picture.

The fenders look much more consistent to the blue Reutter prototype, the rear sides have no air inlets (but semaphores instead). If anyone knows any detail, please chime in!

Is it possible that it is an prototype for an other car manufacturer?

Or Maybe one of the Zundapp type 12 prototypes? I have heard there were more than one prototypes build for Zundapp.

Btw, great threat! Wish it was over 100 pages long and i could keep on reading.. Very Happy
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Tanoki wrote:
allsidius wrote:

allsidius wrote:

Is it possible that it is an prototype for an other car manufacturer?

Or Maybe one of the Zundapp type 12 prototypes? I have heard there were more than one prototypes build for Zundapp.

Btw, great threat! Wish it was over 100 pages long and i could keep on reading.. Very Happy

I agree, this turned out a great thread that unearthed a few rare photos! My favorite is the Drauz "dirty" car, frontal view, that I have never seen before. Such a clean design, remember, built in-headlights were 5-10 years or even more into the future for other car companies, DB only started that in 1950 with the 220. As late as 1955, both DB and Ford had free-standing lights on their cheaper models!

Front pic of this familiar setting..

As for your theory on the car above, I do not think it is a Zundapp. Those three cars were pretty crude, made from plywood and without advanced bucks or jigs, this seems to be a much more sophisticated car, well made and bigger too. My personal theory is that it is the Weinsberg car, photographed outside the Drauz works, but to each their own. Let's hope someone shows up with credible evidence to one end or the other.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Anyone recognize this french VW book? The link on google doesn't work, so I am unable to follow it to find out, but those two pictures is shown in some french VW book.

Does anyone recognize this? I am looking for the book to get a better picture of the frontal view of the Porsche Typ 32

kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Porsche Epic, Volume One: 1875-1948 /
L'épopée Porsche : Porsche Epic. Tome 1, 1875-1948

allsidius wrote:
Anyone recognize this french VW book? The link on google doesn't work, so I am unable to follow it to find out, but those two pictures is shown in some french VW book.

Does anyone recognize this? I am looking for the book to get a better picture of the frontal view of the Porsche Typ 32
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Merci beaucoup!

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

NOTE: All those who are bored with this discussion is asked to scroll down to the next topic!

That tip yielded some very useful information!

The book is of course ridiculously overpriced on Amazon, but the presentation offered a reasonable shot of what we were looking for, the page on the typ 32. In the book it is stated that Reutter made two mixed wood and steel cars, and that Drauz made the all-steel car. I think in view of the previous discussion, that the author may have mixed the Drauz car and the mystery car. Looking at the design of the mystery car (somewhat similar to the Weinsberg drawing), it is much more similar to the existing prototype, by several sources built by Drauz.

I think it is safe to say, the dirty car and the mystery car was not made by the same coachbuilder. It is much more probable that the mystery car and the existing prototype were made by the same company. That, and the fact that the mystery car is photographed outside Drauz works, leads me to speculate that..

The dirty car in mixed construction, looking a lot like the Porsche drawings, was made by Reutter in Stuttgart. It is photographed outside the Porsche works, across the street from Reutter.

The two remaining cars, the mystery car and the still existing prototype were both made by Drauz, which lay much closer to NSU works. The design is much less similar to the sleek Porsche drawings, ie much less Komenda input.

Both pics from the amazon presentation of the book Porsche Epic, Volume One: 1875-1948 in the sake of VW archaeology.

The mystery car, photographed outside the Drauz works:

Last edited by allsidius on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

My last post is in line with this post by IIIA-0426, which also confirms the dirty car was made by Reutter and the existing car was made by Drauz. The mystery car is not mentioned.

IIIA-0426 wrote:
I have been studying the Type 32 on and off for over 15 years and have amassed a fair amount of documentation, photos and plans - although one can never have enough. I also have a very nice copy of the Weinsberg drawing.

The general consensus of which bodywork company built which body, according to the "experts", is largely based on a letter that was written on 12 January, 1957, by Karl Rabe to Fritz von Falkenhayn. The letter was written on the occasion of the anniversary of the Reutter company.

In the letter the key dates of the Type 32 project are mentioned, and Karl Rabe writes:

"Nach meinen Aufzeichnungen war die Karosserie bei der Firma Reutter mit Blech-Holz-Grundaufbau und Kunstlederbezug ausgeführt, während Drauz eine Ganzstalhblech-Ausfuehrung mit aussenliegenden Scheinwerfen lieferte." The letter makes no mention of Weinsberg.

The first contact with Drauz was made on 6th April 1934 and Reutter followed shortly thereafter.

The Weinsberg drawing was dated earlier (29 November 1933) but interestingly makes direct reference to NSU, rather than to a specific Porsche project. This and the fact that Weinsberg are not mentioned in the Rabe letter may suggest that they were commissioned directly by NSU.

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

very interesting. I didn't expect the exixting car to be not Reutter's as given its more modern construction, I'd always tought that would have been the more posche-involved one. However, evidence seems to point to your theory as being the more correct one.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
very interesting. I didn't expect the exixting car to be not Reutter's as given its more modern construction, I'd always tought that would have been the more posche-involved one. However, evidence seems to point to your theory as being the more correct one.

I know, and I have probably reiterated the theory that the existing car is made by Reutters earlier in this post - from the fact that they were making all steel bodies for wanderer and others already and that they hand made several of the all-steel VW bodies, mainly the V303 and the VW38 series. However, various sources claim they were skilled in the mixed material technique, probably applied for one-offs mostly. This technique is famously applied in the DKW meisterklasse even after WWII. So I think it is most likely we should listen to Carl Rabe and accept that the existing all-metal car is made by Drauz. The dirty car was then made by Reutters (as stated by Rabe).

This leaves the mystery car, which either is the Weinsberg, or, since it is photographed outside the Drauz works, is the second Drauz car. Now all we need is a frontal picture of it!

Last edited by allsidius on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

I am still working on a lead that will hopefully clarify all questions.

Smile
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

IIIA-0426 wrote:
I am still working on a lead that will hopefully clarify all questions.

Smile

We can't wait! Very Happy

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

From one of the gurus in the field of VW prototype archaelogy, I have received this amazing photo of the Reutter NSU type 32, the "dirty car", unfortunately watermarked, but nevertheless. The people studying the car is most probably Porsche employees, I recognize Erwin Komenda to the far left, next to him, seen en face is most probably Karl Rabe. Others will surely identify the rest. It seems that the car has just arrived from testing, and the whole Porsche Büro is exited to see it in the flesh. The existence of this photo seems to indicate that the Reutter car was photographed by a professional, which to me says there are other and better pictures lying in a drawer somewhere. Maybe at the Porsche archives.

Look at that profile! 85 years on, still going strong!

mb
Samba Member

Location: Nuremberg - hometown of the 1931/-32 Volkswagen Porsche Type 12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Some info from the Museum in Nuremberg about the Porsche Type12 (in german)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk2zogk85ccn70t/Porsche_Typ12-Museum-Nuernberg.pdf?dl=0
88 Vanagon EJ22
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Interesting batch of photos that were sold at auction earlier this year... a reunion that took place at the Reutter coachworks. Cool

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
From one of the gurus in the field of VW prototype archaelogy, I have received this amazing photo of the Reutter NSU type 32, the "dirty car", unfortunately watermarked, but nevertheless.

A little Blue Baron magic will fix that.

Heinz Nordhoff
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

IIIA-0426 wrote:
Interesting batch of photos that were sold at auction earlier this year... a reunion that took place at the Reutter coachworks. Cool

This was in the fifties, one must assume that a lot of the workers from 1934 were still there, and would have objected if this car was not built there. I guess this confirms that this car is definetely Reutters built. But God, are those headlight implants ugly. What a pity they didn't ditch them back then and went to the breakers for some MB 170 headlights.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Amazingly, another pic of what seems to be the elusive "Dirty" NSU type 32 appeared today in Undis' amazing V1/2/3 thread. To avoid cluttering his thread with my rantings once again, I am adding it where it belongs.

The Dirty car was not always dirty, here it is seen inside the Porsche Garage / Workshop in 1935 while the Porsche team was in full swing with the volkswagen V1-V3 prototypes. Which makes the fourth known picture of this particularly Porscheesque car.

Reading up on the thread above, one is hard put to decide which company made this car, it seems clear that the type 32 that still exists was built by Reutter, from the reunion of that car with the Reutter works post-war. Drauz seems most likely, but I still am in the dark unfortunately.

Blue Baron wrote:
allsidius wrote:
From one of the gurus in the field of VW prototype archaelogy, I have received this amazing photo of the Reutter NSU type 32, the "dirty car", unfortunately watermarked, but nevertheless.

A little Blue Baron magic will fix that.

For newcomers, I include the amazing frontal quarter shot of the "dirty car" outside the Porsche büro. Any better scans of this or other pics are very much appreciated.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Amazingly, another pic of what seems to be the elusive "Dirty" NSU type 32 appeared today in Undis' amazing V1/2/3 thread. To avoid cluttering his thread with my rantings once again, I am adding it where it belongs.

This photo is important as it gives a small insight in what the dashboard looked like. I seem to spot a glove box lid on the right but what is that angular thing in the middle? Could it be a radio? The car appears to have an antenna in the other photo. If that is the case the dash may have looked somewhat like that of the VW38.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

^^ looks more like the type 32 dash to me

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: