Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Cat 4-5 on Wednesday. Direct hit. Not looking good.
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

It’s a terrible time for folks in this area, not only seasonal expectations of tropical storms, but they’ve been hammered this year with weather.

Odd I have seen much on the news about Maria.
Also I have a strong feeling that conglomerate commercial properties are going to be liquidating the wreckage along the islands and putting up new developments.

Anyone agree with me will be bombarded with vacation escapes in two years to all these islands??

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Anyone agree with me will be bombarded with vacation escapes in two years to all these islands??

Not to mention they are broke as a state.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Puerto Rico is not a state, just a broke unincorporated territory. Looks like prime wheeling dealing will be going on for all those too poor to rebuild. Question is will the US Govt step in meaningfully.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Puerto Rico is not a state, just a broke unincorporated territory. Looks like prime wheeling dealing will be going on for all those too poor to rebuild. Question is will the US Govt step in meaningfully.

Is that truly a question? Perhaps if they had some corporations, they'd stand a chance.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

Puerto Rico enjoys all of the benefits of being a U.S. territory, yet they pay no taxes.

Why should American taxpayers be expected to bear the burden of bailing out Puerto Rico ?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
my59 wrote:

Puerto Rico enjoys all of the benefits of being a U.S. territory, yet they pay no taxes.

Why should American taxpayers be expected to bear the burden of bailing out Puerto Rico ?

Well heck we try to police the rest of the world, why wouldn't we try to help out on our own territories??

Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

When Alaska and Hawaii were U.S. territories they both had to pay federal income taxes. Why should Puerto Rico get a free pass? What makes them so special ?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

FWIW (and probably not much) this is Wikipedia's take: Though the Commonwealth government has its own tax laws, Puerto Ricans are also required to pay most US federal taxes, with the major exception being that most residents do not have to pay the federal personal income tax. In 2009, Puerto Rico paid $3.742 billion into the US Treasury.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Rather than bog down onto who's paying what I just hope the damage is not as bad as predicted. Our thoughts are with you. I came to know several Puerto Rican mechanics from work, very fine folks. All of their extended families are there now.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

US Virgin Islands getting hit hard yet again. We do have members there that are fantastic people. Unfortunately for Kwesi - It's also his 40th B-Day today Sad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475262&highlight=usvi
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Funny how Red Bull (just to mention a company) can take a DJ and drinks to the top of a mountain to watch paragliders and skiers and we cannot get help to those in need.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

I was just watching the American Pickers Split window episode and they mentioned Volkyland in Puerto Rico.

I got to wondering how much damage if any they may have taken during Irma before I saw in previous posts elsewhere that it didn't have the best of reputations.

Apparently it was closed before the hurricanes.

Last edited by HMVWNAB on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:13 am; edited 2 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Oh crap, I'd like to know that too as they own my old super nice 1966 Type 34.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Funny how Red Bull (just to mention a company) can take a DJ and drinks to the top of a mountain to watch paragliders and skiers and we cannot get help to those in need.

Funny, No

Pathetic, Yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: