Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

It's looking pretty good with that mount up there! Did it come already in brown?

How much do you sell the radio housing Jeff?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hi Alika,

No, the housing only comes in black or white, I spray painted it.

The old housing I was going to sell with an Alpine CDE124SM radio for $75. OBO The radio is AM-FM-CD-SiriusXM, USB, Pandora, etc stereo. Not sure what to ask for just the housing.

edit: housing is sold.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
Your set up looks great! Did you say your shifter would hit your dash in 1st and 3rd gear? How far is the shift knob from your vents on the dash when in 1st and 3rd? hanks GreggK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
The old radio location was right in front of the shifter. The small car system moved the mount maybe a half inch closer, just enough to cause a missed shift once in a while.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,
I looked back at your pics and then realized you were talking about the old radio position down on the floor. Ive been working on my SC A/C install for a few weekends. I'm trying to modify my dash to accept a double din radio. My idea is working out so far, with a few other minor adjustments but one measurement I don't know yet is the clearance from the shift knob to the dash face because don't have my drive train in right now.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Anyone know if the ceiling-mounted A/C components from an ’83 could be swapped into an early Vanagon w/o A/C?

If moved forward several inches to fit into a Westy, would the units bang your head?

One would still need the compressor and lines, of course, but might be easier than the in-dash installation …

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

You would have to seriously modify the evaporator plenum thing for a Westy.

I've seen it fitted in the original location on the forum before, but the latch got moved backwards a little bit. Rather ugly set up once you see it in pictures in a Westy.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Gregg,
Your shift knob is quite far from the dash face. You can put a double din radio in the center position if you cut off one of the ducts for defrost, or install it to the far right position. Don't know which face plate you ordered.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I've been slowly moving forward with my SC In-dash A/C install. I'm trying to create some more space on the dash to possibly install a double DIN stereo and more options for climate control placement and power outlets.
After a few ideas this is what I came up with. Since I don't really weld you will see how I used brackets to fasten the face plate to my dash. It also keeps it adjustable till I get it all figures out. This is a spare dash I kept just for this project. Once I get it all dialed in I plan to remake it and may even take it to a welder to sure it all up. I'm hoping the radio will be high enough up for good visibility and hope the sun won't glare it out. Then I don't have to mess with the dash pad too much.
I've still got a way to go but I wanted to post some pics and see if anyone has any suggestions.

GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

The face here is 10 1/2"x 8". Gives lots of room for a double DIN. I also did some repositioning of the unit behind the dash. I moved it up and back into the fresh air inlet cavity. I'm working on a plate to seal the inlet from the outside and have some vents/hoses coming into the interior for possible fresh air vents.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I also powered up my unit today. I don't have my engine installed but I only wanted to see how the air flow was, so there are no heat or A/C connections yet. When I have the controls on full defrost I still get some air flow to the foot wells. Is anyone else experiencing this too?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Interesting idea!!
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I just started the Smallcar install today. According to the instructions I’m supposed to route the AC lines from the compressor through a notch on the drivers side frame and up to the front. That notch comes out at the wheel. It seems a bit sketchy to have AC hoses exposed near the tire like that?

Has anybody had any trouble with this? Has anybody put a small metal shield around the hoses?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

The original ones were exposed the same way, I would take a lot to puncture them Wink
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
The original ones were exposed the same way, I would take a lot to puncture them Wink

Awesome, thanks!
vwcrazyfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

After a few months of weekend work and reworking I am 98% done with my SC dash air. It only took so long because life is busy and I have many other projects. A big thanks to everyone that has posted on the subject it was a very big help. I will share the things that I may have done differently or I notices was not covered in detail by others.

The Vanagon is a 1985 with a 1991 EJ22. It had rear AC and it never cooled right even with money and time put into it.

Unique item highlights : I used LED License Plate Bolts to illuminate the a/c control dials. I used a 2.5” deep fusion marine radio.

Electrical: (for 1995 with rear air)
Cut the supply side of fuse #15 and used a screw terminal wire connector to connect to the power wire on the dash unit.

Switched power supply was from fuse #10, old blower power supply.

Trianary switch for compressor clutch was wires into 87a on the compressor cut-out relay. I removed the relay and plugged the wire into the block the relay was removed from.

Trianary switch for condenser fan. For high fan I plugged it into #86 on the removed A/c compressor cut-out . Same spot as above for the compressor clutch. For low speed fan I wired it to the green wire that feeds #86 on the Rad / condenser cooling fan relay. It is one or the other not both. I tried low speed first but it was not moving sufficient air over the condenser here in Arizona so I wired it to high speed. See page Bentley manual page 97.138 for reference.

Once you make your electrical connections there is a lot of abandoned wire from the old rear system, I removed most of it and made a new wired diagram.

Dash plate:
I was able to move the SC dash plate all the way to the driver’s side to cove the hole for the rear heater controls (not used in my van).
No modifications were needed to the glove box. I have a whole intact glove box.

Heater:
I used 90 Deg adaptors to make the hose bend out of the stock floor holes. This gave me the ability to run the hose hidden under the dash behind the glove box.

I was able to put the electronic valve “inside” the van behind the glove box area on the fire wall.

The heat output is not very impressive. I believe with the long hose lengths, EJ22 conversion, 90 deg bends this all adds up to low flow. But I was told by Small Car Perfomance that the heater would not be as good as the original VW system. I will be adding a circulation pump to the system as others on Samba have done.

Issues:
I only had one and it was 100% my fault. After the system was up and running I was chasing a gremlin that was as followed: The system would cool down to 45 Degrees once turned on but then it would start going up after about 15 min. The temperature would climb into the 50’s then into the 60’s and level out at about 65. The compressor was engaged the whole time. If I turned the system off and then back on it would start the process over again. After talking with the tech at vintage air he asked if I had left the recover dryer open to the atmosphere. I in fact did and it was during a monsoon storm. The drier had become saturated with moisture and was causing internal freezing. Even though the system was pulled into a vacuum it will not fix that issue. I replaced to drier and re-charged the system and it works good now.

End result:
The system works well for being a large heat box in Arizona. The final charge was 32oz of 134a with a center vent tep of 45 deg on a 95 deg day. If I could change on thing I wish the vents could point up a little more so the air would hit my face, I am tall.

Misc parts:
16x22 condenser from Nostalgic Air part # 54-1622 but it can be found cheaper if you search part# CN-PF1622 PS I did not need to remove radiator to remove old one or install new one.

Reduced barrier hose was bought of eBay. It was the cheapest way to go.

Fittings were bought from hose warehouse. Best in stock selection.

Vibration Isolation Mount from Amazon W Winco 351-20-15-M6-SS-55

Refrigeration Technologies Nylog Gasket Thread Sealant Blue for O-rings, eBay

Burndy BISR2 In-line Splicer Reducer Unitap #14-2 AWG/kcmil wire range, for the main electrical connection.

Speedmetal LED License Plate Bolts for the dash dial lighting. Cycle Gear.

FUSION MS-RA55 Compact Marine Stereo w/Bluetooth Audio Streaming

Discount Auto Air Repair in Mesa AZ for custom hose building. Very Happy
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Good job and thank you for sharing in details Smile

I love the little light bolts, clever idea !

Cheers!
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

So is there no light in the Smallcar controls?
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
So is there no light in the Smallcar controls?

Nope. Simple dials though
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I'm almost done with my engine conversion and before working on the Syncro front end conversion, I started to make some room in the cabin , cannot stand the mess that it currently is.

Part of it is to mount the AC in the van. I did all the mock up on the donor Syncro, pictures posted around last year.

Here is the tiny progress I made after work yesterday:

I cut and installed a copper elbow ( for 1/2" copper pipe) so I can connect directly to the left heater hose to the bottom port ( out from the heater back to the engine)
NB remember my AC evaporator is not in the same location as everyone else.

The top port of the heater ( hot in from engine) is going straight to the heater valve mounted with a 190mm long hose to the right of the windshield wiper motor. From there I will use a 15mm (5/8 ID) hose with an elbow to go down toward the shifter box following the stock location of the now removed stock heater valve.
I might use the original hose and just cut it and add a nipple by the passenger knee crush beam then go with straight hose to the engine, not sure yet, but the idea is the same. ( No pics yet).

I also coated the air tunnels with fluidfilm since my van is in near new condition to prevent rust. Then I installed aluminized tar on the hidden face of the block off plate for good sealing and vibrations. The air intake has been plugged last year: I put ABS black glue to seal the little grill holes outside above the radiator.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 37

Jump to: