Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch not disengaging
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bratjie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

Hi guy's, need help here, I recently overhauled an 1700 engine and sent the flywheel and clutch kit off to the clutch guys for skimming and recon of clutch and pressure plate. After return of the flywheel and clutch kit the clutch does not disengage. I have checked and tried all reccomendations on the site, from new cable, cable tubing, fork and replacement kit, Bowden cable adjustment clutch travel, correct release bearing, you name it. Every article covered and checked. However I normally only send Type 1 kits and flywheels to the particular shop and have never experienced any problems. Today I had another one (Kombi) done and ,,,, same problem. Took it back to the shop and they showed and explained all there is to know even showing that it releases on their test bench which by the way is a hydraulic press and who knows what travel they are giving it. Taking all that into consideration I can only come up with one remaining problem, did a test by adjusting the clutch as far as it would go ( I know that the release bearing is now running against the forks of the pressure plate) the cable being tight as a guitar string when you depress the clutch now one can feel the familiar knack (for a lack of a better word) when the fingers go past the point when the pressure plate normally releases the clutch about mid pedal. Now we can select gears!!! My conclusion thus is that the friction area being skimmed and the outer ring where the pressure plate bolts onto should be skimmed by the same amount, right? From their summary the height between friction area on the flywheel and bolt on area height must be 22mm, and I summise that this is probably correct for type 1. What I need to know now is, is that spec the same for a Kombi flywheel? What is the correct measurement between the friction area and the bolt on area on the Kombi flywheel? Any advice greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

This is a 914 Flywheel, but the shelf "a" is 22.5mm.
http://volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?p=11184257

It is more likely the clutch disc is too thick.

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

This is all I could find for clutch disc thickness.
https://www.ebay.com/p/QSC-Porsche-356-VW-Type-1-C...1041166089
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559804&highlight=thick++clutch+disc
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

bratjie wrote:
Hi guy's, need help here, I recently overhauled an 1700 engine and sent the flywheel and clutch kit off to the clutch guys for skimming and recon of clutch and pressure plate. After return of the flywheel and clutch kit the clutch does not disengage. I have checked and tried all reccomendations on the site, from new cable, cable tubing, fork and replacement kit, Bowden cable adjustment clutch travel, correct release bearing, you name it. Every article covered and checked. However I normally only send Type 1 kits and flywheels to the particular shop and have never experienced any problems. Today I had another one (Kombi) done and ,,,, same problem. Took it back to the shop and they showed and explained all there is to know even showing that it releases on their test bench which by the way is a hydraulic press and who knows what travel they are giving it. Taking all that into consideration I can only come up with one remaining problem, did a test by adjusting the clutch as far as it would go ( I know that the release bearing is now running against the forks of the pressure plate) the cable being tight as a guitar string when you depress the clutch now one can feel the familiar knack (for a lack of a better word) when the fingers go past the point when the pressure plate normally releases the clutch about mid pedal. Now we can select gears!!! My conclusion thus is that the friction area being skimmed and the outer ring where the pressure plate bolts onto should be skimmed by the same amount, right? From their summary the height between friction area on the flywheel and bolt on area height must be 22mm, and I summise that this is probably correct for type 1. What I need to know now is, is that spec the same for a Kombi flywheel? What is the correct measurement between the friction area and the bolt on area on the Kombi flywheel? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Yes...you must...before you do the machine work to the disc contact are of the flywheel....measure the height/depth to the contact face from the ledge where the pressure plate sits.

Whatever you skim/machine from the contact face ...you must remove from the ledge where the pressure plate sits as well.

Somewhere I have the gap distance required between installed pressure plate and the flywheel driven face. Its clutch disc thickness minus about .010" or close to it. I will see if I can find it.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bratjie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

Thx guy's, sorry but I omitted to mention that it has a 215mm dia clutch plate, would this mean a different flywheel then?, definitely not tipe 1, 180mm, 200mm or even 228 cluchplate (which is Wasserboxer)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

bratjie wrote:
Thx guy's, sorry but I omitted to mention that it has a 215mm dia clutch plate, would this mean a different flywheel then?, definitely not tipe 1, 180mm, 200mm or even 228 cluchplate (which is Wasserboxer)

If you still can't get a dimension, I've got all the T4 flywheels at the shop and can go measure if you get stuck. PM me

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

Another item to check would be the connection of clutch cable at the pedal. A reversed lever arm there could result in not having
adequate travel of the release bearing at the trans.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

all of the above plus

- the disc is too tight on the input splines so it can't slide to release. Did you put some a light amount of moly or moly grease on it and make sure it slide smoothly on the input shaft? We see this issue once a year or so.

- the pilot bearing is not allowing the input shaft to spin freely. Did you replace it, and grease it?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Another item to check would be the connection of clutch cable at the pedal. A reversed lever arm there could result in not having
adequate travel of the release bearing at the trans.
Or maybe a wallowed out hole where the clevis goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bratjie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch not disengaging Reply with quote

The lever arm is the right way round with no excessive wear on the clevis pin, also both clutches were checked and movers freely on the input shaft with slight greasing, pilot shafts locating correct and deep enough into the flywheel and new bearings fitted and greased, I'm now without any other options. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: