Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line clamps - check them!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Just a friendly reminder any time you're "under the bonnet"...

I changed my fuel lines when I bought the van a few years ago to the new type of fuel lines. From the gas tank to the engine and back. Every one. Removed the plastic firewall piece too. I used all new fuel injected type fuel line clamps from NAPA. Good quality that do not 'bite' into the hose. The last time I did anything with the fuel lines was when I bought new injectors and installed them a year or so ago.

The other day I was doing my routine "pre-flight" in the engine bay prior to a weekend trip. I opened up the engine bay, went to the cockpit and started it up, and went back to check on everything to ensure everything was as it should be, when I noticed a pretty good 'drip, drip. drip' of fuel from the T-connector near the distributor that provides a place to pick off for a fuel pressure gauge. Was putting raw fuel onto the crankcase. I immediately turned off the ignition. I thought I had a crack or a leak in the fuel hose. Nope. the three clamps had loosened enough to allow fuel past them when pressurized. I have no idea how long that's been going on, but I am one lucky SOB that I haven't had a fire. I checked every other clamp, and they were all tight. Just these on the fuel T-fitting were loose. I've not touched them or had occasion to touch them since I installed them. Anyone know of quality fuel line clamps getting loose over time with vibration, and is the location of the clamps any reason they specifically would get loose?

I've cogitated over this for a few days. There is no way I didn't tighten them down when I installed them. I surely would have noticed the leak long ago had that been the case. But, it is possible. I guess.

Anyway - catastrophe averted, and posting this to possibly help and prevent a catastrophe with anyone else. Takes literally 5 minutes to check the integrity of your clamps with a screwdriver. Go do it now....

Last edited by Navy_Flyer on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

EXCELLENT, Thanks!!!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Good advice to check them for sure!

But as far as those three self loosening while the others did not is iffy.

I blew a radiator hose, not because of clamps coming loose but rather the installer (Me) failed to properly tighten it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

The clamps don't necessarily need to "loosen" for the effect you experienced to happen. I took the advice of everyone here on changing out the lines and changing over to clamps that don't slice that line. Did a nice job, and followed the instructions to re-tightened them after they "settled" (100 miles or something like that). The issue, for me, kept cropping up a number of times. This is a big concern, as I am very frightened of a fire. I also posted here on what was going on, only to find out it is way more common than I thought for the clamps to need to be tightened more from time to time.

One solution that I have seen twice now, other than when I decided to double up my clamps, others have said they too had put two clamps on the ends, one next to the other. This has stopped my issues now for the last 3000 miles. I do keep looking, very often, and hope to not see any such leaks again. I also DO give each clamp a twist tighter every thousand or so, and nearly every time, I do find I can easily tighten some.

Its just that the hoses shrink a little over their lifetime. Its a heat/cool cycle thing, I believe. That is one reason I do not use the single time crimp type clamp.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
That is one reason I do not use the single time crimp type clamp.

My understanding was that the crimp type (Oetiker) clamps, are made of spring steel that maintains proper tension to allow the hoses to shrink/swell without getting leaks. Is that not true*?

* This is also my understanding of why the coolant system uses spring clamps although I do still get a coolant leak during extreme cold from a junction that uses one of those.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

SCM,

No idea what kind of steel those are made of, but if experience would hold true, clamping something with a spring from a bigger loop to a smaller one would be ill advised. The spring steel I know for sure to be in use is on clamps that you pinch the tips together to loosen, and on release they pull tighter around the hose.

On the fuel line clamps, they are slipped over the hose prior to hose attachment, the ear is grabbed with the special tool and you squeeze the handle together until it the tool pops or croaks, or whatever the action is of that particular tool. If that clamp was a spring, then it would spring toward opening up, rather than clamping down. After that, I don't think snabbing the ear again will make it tighter, unless there is a different setting on the tool itself to change the gap it sets to. Anyway, I don't know about others' experiences on these kind, just what I have experienced. AND the tool is plenty of cash to toss over only to find its limitations afterwards.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Hose clamps are like engine oil, many different types, different designs, some are clearly superior to others and the rest quite honestly boil down to personal experience, preference and predjudice towards or against a given design.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

I have had screw type fuel line clamps loosen repeatedly. Spraying them with cleaner and giving them a dab of Loctite fixed the issue.

With no more pressure than these systems run, I would think a quality flat style spring clamp would work well. I have used them in many places and they have always done the job, but I never actually tried them on FI fuel hoses. The clamp of course needs to be a good fit for the hose.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
Anyone know of quality fuel line clamps getting loose over time with vibration

Yes, I installed ABA stainless clamps and they are supposedly good quality but I still need to tighten them every couple of months because they do come loose.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

And here I'm getting ready to put 1200 miles on the white turd. Better check the hose clamps.

Craig
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

As a technician, I've heard the story that 'I tightened all the clamps' but when a hose pops off/leaks, it's obvious that they were all not properly tighten.

That said, if the clamps were tighten and magically got loose, is it possible that the clamping surfaces reduced in size? As in the hose rubber or possibly the tee. I do not know what the tee is made of but if it's starting to collapse, that is one reason there would be less tension.

I too prefer ABA clamps on fuel hoses and only wish I could find them for larger coolant hoses. I've never had one fail or come loose.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

What are ABA clamps, the "rabbit-earred" type?

— Colin Chapman
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The clamp of course needs to be a good fit for the hose.

This is very important... guess how I know. May not be the worst thing I've done to my van, but surely the dumbest/scariest. Luckily I caught it while doing something else in there. Don't trust am***n algos to choose your parts.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

ABA is a high quality yet reasonably priced clamp.

For example.....

https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Clamp-M26X38-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00IO753JO

I have them on all of my coolant lines.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
As a technician, I've heard the story that 'I tightened all the clamps' but when a hose pops off/leaks, it's obvious that they were all not properly tighten.

That said, if the clamps were tighten and magically got loose, is it possible that the clamping surfaces reduced in size? As in the hose rubber or possibly the tee. I do not know what the tee is made of but if it's starting to collapse, that is one reason there would be less tension.

I too prefer ABA clamps on fuel hoses and only wish I could find them for larger coolant hoses. I've never had one fail or come loose.

The Fuel-T appears to be steel (or thick-walled aluminum - I didn't put a magnet on it to check). It didn't collapse. The hose could have expanded/contracted over time causing the clamps to loosen I suppose, but none of the others around the bay and back to the fuel tank were loose. Bottom line from reading everyone's comments, these clamps do seem to loosen over time, so it's on my checklist for every oil change or engine service to check them.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Though I did not find a clamp that was really loose, having your thread appear, reminded me to check my clamps before we put on 1200 miles, so today I spent the afternoon going over each clamp. Thanks for posting this thread. It was a great reminder.

Craig

Craig
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

I will freely admit, since losing that coolant clamp on I-78 years ago, I tighten all of my clamps before a long trip, I'm NOT doing that again!!! (Though I travel better prepared these days for that happening)

I never find one to worry about but it makes me feel good to simply know that they are ALL tight! 👍
Any trip failure will not be due to a loose clamp!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
tech032
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:

I changed my fuel lines when I bought the van a few years ago to the new type of fuel lines. From the gas tank to the engine and back. Every one. Removed the plastic firewall piece too. I used all new fuel injected type fuel line clamps from NAPA. Good quality that do not 'bite' into the hose. The last time I did anything with the fuel lines was when I bought new injectors and installed them a year or so ago.

The other day I was doing my routine "pre-flight" in the engine bay prior to a weekend trip. I opened up the engine bay, went to the cockpit and started it up, and went back to check on everything to ensure everything was as it should be, when I noticed a pretty good 'drip, drip. drip' of fuel from the T-connector near the distributor that provides a place to pick off for a fuel pressure gauge. Was putting raw fuel onto the crankcase. I immediately turned off the ignition. I thought I had a crack or a leak in the fuel hose. Nope. the three clamps had loosened enough to allow fuel past them when pressurized. I have no idea how long that's been going on, but I am one lucky SOB that I haven't had a fire. I checked every other clamp, and they were all tight. Just these on the fuel T-fitting were loose. I've not touched them or had occasion to touch them since I installed them. Anyone know of quality fuel line clamps getting loose over time with vibration, and is the location of the clamps any reason they specifically would get loose?

I've cogitated over this for a few days. There is no way I didn't tighten them down when I installed them. I surely would have noticed the leak long ago had that been the case. But, it is possible. I guess.

Anyway - catastrophe averted, and posting this to possibly help and prevent a catastrophe with anyone else. Takes literally 5 minutes to check the integrity of your clamps with a screwdriver. Go do it now....

Always a great idea to check the clamps from time to time. I also have the ABA FI clamps, and after about 100 miles,they need a bit of retorque. I think the ultimate fix is blue loctite during installation, OR, a tiny dab of this paint at the hex nut to the clamp. It works great to prevent loosening on a low torque item like this, even though it was designed to indicate tamper. We use this all day long in the shop for customer drain plugs, bolts,etc. Just a tiny dab at the junction where they meet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
amwaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

also an aviator, and also in the habit of doing a preflight on mine...open the engine compartment hatch, inspect, start engine inspect...saved myself grief more than once doing this..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line clamps - check them! Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:

That's a bolter....funny how having to land on a postage stamp changes your life forever....TFS

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: